C.Beeby's MMA Log (MT/Wrestling/Luta Livre/Conditioning/Diet)

I've had the better part of a week off, allowing myself some resting time. Trying to stay caught up in school, I'm going to take less credits next semester.

Weight is back up to 164 via wholesome cheat foods that I've missed OH so much.

Drank a bit last night and the night before, stayed hydrated with OJ.

Getting tattooed again Wednesday (finishing up a half sleeve), training Monday and Tuesday as normal, rest of the week off other than teaching Thursday.

Phil Baroni dropped in to the gym for a few minutes, shook his hand.

Something funny happened today:

After Muay Thai, I was slowly easing into Jiu Jitsu, mostly watching the moves being drilled. Mid-banana, I realized that a teammate was having trouble finishing the choke on our other teammate, appropriately nicknamed Shrek. Shrek is VERY hard to choke. I remembered that last week, I had him in several VERY tight chokes, including a triangle, which was about 90% tight. Curious whether it was even possible to choke him, I put him in one that I was sure was 100%.

I hooked his leg, grabbed my shin, got to 45 degrees, hipped into the choke, flexed my feet, squeezed my knees together, and pulled his head down. Nothing. I kept squeezing for a few seconds, NOTHING. So I let go.

Shrek fell limp, to his side, no signs of life in his eyes. He allowed himself to be put to sleep because he didn't feel the choke coming on.

I almost quit Jiu Jitsu today.

Last edited:
10/25/10:

Don't know whether I am going to begin a low volume lifting program, we just began another strength cycle in our S&C. Going to start including how I feel during each activity and how good my diet is, so I can see what effects what.

Diet today: 8/10 (could've drank more water/had more fish oil, also no veggies with breakfast)

Conditioning: 1 hour
Felt pretty good, could've done better with the pullups.
15 pullups
12 C&J @ 95#
x3
12 DL @ 180#
20 decline pushups
x3
12 SLDL @ 160#
12 1arm DB Snatch @ 50#
x3

Muay Thai: 1 hour
Felt very good. Tired but technical.
(All leg kicks) 1, overhand, rear kick, parry, lead knee, lead kick, parry, lead kickx2, 232
Have to remember to stay in switched stance after knee to throw switch stance rear kick (lead kick).
Same combo but with thai pads/body kicks.

Grappling: 1 hour
Felt excellent. Good combos, remembered to work weaknesses (taking the back, scissor sweep)
Drilled arm in guillotine to sweep finish in mount, side control, and transition to traditional guillotine from side control.
Rolling notes: remember to work half guard sweeps. When half guard is passed with underhook, you can grab the whizzer and roll through like a brabo counter.

Last edited:
10/26/10:

Diet: 8/10. My step dad had his monthly ski club meeting here, they always bring delicious food. Had some sandwich pieces, egg rolls, poppyseed muffins, mozzarella cheese and caesar salad with too much dressing.

Sparring: 30 minutes
Did about 6 hard rounds with one of our '45ers. Stand-up felt better, good parrying to the lead kick, straight lefts, and jabbing at a distance. Trying to work better at fighting at range because I am tall for my weight. I need to respect peoples fat boy rolls more with 16oz. gloves on, I lost position because I waited to base and my glove got caught.

Grappling: 2 hours
Rolled first with one of our purple belts. 20 minute round and a 15 minute round. Felt very good, technical and composed.
Triangle to omaplata to armbar to bicep slicer.
Rolling notes: worked the spin through off of the pass as mentioned last post.

Last edited:
11/01/10:

Diet: 9/10. Could have gotten more calories, but with a busy day it just wasn't realistic.

Not training makes my general mood decrease a LOT, after car troubles most of last week, it felt AMAZING to get back into the gym.

A ton of back volume. I'm gonna feel this tomorrow. Didn't really push the pace. My shoulders are starting to hurt, I was having trouble decelerating the weight on the way down from pressing.
Warmup
95# clean (couldn't snatch with my shoulder)x12
2DB SLDL with 50# DBsx15
x3
115# SLDL x15
DB Snatch with 50# DBx12 each arm (had to get help from my coach bringing it down, shoulder was NOT having it)
x3
~40# KB sideways lunge and press x20
x3

Felt good, pretty tired. All my kicking muscles were tight, took a bunch of warming up.
12, front elbow, rear kick, slip HK to leg kick on posting leg, 323.
Can't remember the other combo.
Notes: Step a bit further on kicks, step straight forward on lead elbow, check leg inward, they can still kick the meat of your leg unless to turn your shin bone toward them.

Arm bars off of failed omaplata to sweep. Thought about this earlier today, never seen it before. I'm going to try and post a video I made.
Rolling. Notes: shoulder weight makes it very hard to escape turtle. Tight pressure leads to the fancy moves when your opponent gives up and makes a mistake defending the basics. Learn to defend x guard sweep off of failed butterfly sweep. Single hook butterfly sweep: use other leg to weigh down the heel of the leg being swept.

11/02/10:

Diet: 7/10 Didn't eat enough in the morning.

Didn't feel good, very lethargic and my shoulder started aching towards the end.

Grappling: 1.5 hours
Felt alright, good movement. Mostly just rolling at different speeds.

11/03/10:

Conditioning coach wasn't in.

Boxed 5 rounds with some of our pro mt guys. Got VERY tired. Got my ass kicked. Loved it.
Notes: Keep my rear elbow tighter to the body to protect the body, and crunch the body instead of dropping the hands.

Very gassed from jumping into hard rounds of sparring with no warm up.
12, front body hook, 32, lead kick, lead kick, catch kick, 2, throw, rear kick

Rolling notes: worked the brabo, need to work my half guard more.

11/04/10:

Coach is back from Brazil.

Sparring: 1 hour
Less tired, had more time to warm up.
1 round MMA rules, 3 rounds MT rules, 3 rounds boxing rules

Brabo from front headlock, finishing on bottom, defense.
Rolled for an hour and a half.
Notes: work more half guard. Defending brabo by bellying out, dig in with the toes to shrug shoulders instead of just using your arm. Shin and wrist sweep from butterfly, half guard, and guard. Use the hips to control while passing if they have already turned in.

11/08/10:

Felt alright, shoulder still sore. Light workout to get coach back into the swing of it after a month in Brazil.

Had some trouble getting my hips stretched out, its cold here.
12, lead knee, plum, step, rear knee, rear knee, push, rear elbow, lead kick, lead kick

Omaplata to same arm belly down armbar
Rolling: went pretty light, fresh tattoo. Worked my new sweeps, spider guard, upside down guard, and butterfly guard. I play such a tall guy game.

11/09/10:

Worked on timing the foot jab and knees, stomping down on my jab, head movement, and hand combinations.

Did wrestling for warmup. Remembered to underhook to knee tap, as dirty as it was.
Omaplata, omaplata to same arm belly down armbar, escape.
Rolling. Need to slow down my passing and make it tighter.

Last edited:
11/10/10:

Dragging a dummy, sledgehammer swings, DB bench, BW row, overhead press (small weight to rehab my shoulder).

Felt kind of lackadaisical.
1, overhand, 3, overhand, step, body hook, body hook, 3, overhand, 3, overhand, rear kick, rear kick.
1, 1232, step away from the kick while hooking, rear elbow, rear kick, rear kick.

Same moves as yesterday.
Rolling: Worked sweeps and top control.

Diet: could have used more calories. 8/10

11/11/10:

Wasn't too tired today, but I had no dig.

Sparring: 45 minutes
Nothing special.

Takedown stays in the middle for 30 minutes.
100 sprawls and running down the mat
100 double leg pick ups and pushing partner down the mat
Same moves as yesterday.
Rolling.

11/12/10:

Shorter session due to the gym being closed in the afternoon.

Warm up with kimura, guillotine, armbar and triangle drills.
Rolling.

11/15/10:

Rotations, clap pushups, pullups, pressing (shoulder starting to get better), wrestling on the cage, etc.

Strange hand pain when I close my right fist. No muay thai.

Grappling: 3 hours
Same armbar as last week, escape, escape to kneebar.
Rolling: Worked taking the back from side control, shin on bicep, stomach sweeps. Spider guard, half guard sweeps.

11/16/10:

No one came to spar. It's for the best, my shin and hand are pretty hurt. Considering taking a 2 week break when December comes to just focus on recovering and school. I really don't want to take a break, but my body is starting to feel like it needs it.

Stretched my shoulders during the pushup portion of the warmup. Feel a bit better.
100 sprawls and 10 takedowns, split into 10 sets.
Wrestling: worked more explosive takedowns as I have been the past few weeks, underhook to knee tap, outside trip, snapdown, etc. Shoulders started getting sore from being overhooked.
Same techniques as yesterday.
Rolling: worked spider/DLR guard

11/17/10:

Still feeling really worn out. Now I have a hurt left wrist, right hand, both shoulders, right shin, a couple toes and a stiff neck.

115# clean and jerk x 10
50 tornado ball rotations
50# DB snatch x 10 e.a.
20 medicine ball throw and sprawl
Hand walk and rollout x 2 times down the mat
Slosh pipe leans x 20
x3

No Muay Thai due to injuries

Same moves as yesterday.
Rolling: worked spider guard and half guard. Throw the leg over before opponent passes.

11/18/10:

Sparring: 45 minutes.
Worked mostly hands and setting up takedowns. Mainly outside trip from the over-under.

Grappling: 2 hours.
100 sprawls and 10 takedowns.
Taught basic wrestling, head tie to double leg and basic arm drag/re-dragging.
Rolling: Went very light and just bottom, bruised my knee sparring (I AM FALLING APART!). Worked throwing the leg over during the pass, as well as spider/DLR/BFG.

Weight: 167.5

Last edited:
11/23/10:

Wrestling: 1 hour.
Worked everything except shots, my knee is bruised. Emphasized throws, trips and clinching.

Muay Thai: 1 hour.
23, step back from partners knee, 23, rear kick, jumping hook from partners knee, 2, 2 rear kick
12, long lead knee, plum, 2 lead knee, push, 2 to the body, lead uppercut, 2, 2 rear kick

Luta Livre: 1 hour.
Rolling: Worked sweeps and bottom game with mostly higher belts, except for my easing in rounds. Notes: stay hard on my side in half with top arm forcing space. If they come in, dive under, if they back up, retain guard.

Weight: 167.5, need to up my calories

Last edited:
11/29/10:

Back to the gym after a much needed week off. Conditioning coach is out.

Warm up: 45 minutes
Stability ball, mobility, shadow wrestling/boxing/fighting.

12, overhand, 33, push, rear leg kick, circle, rear hook x 2, hook
Don't remember the combo, that might not even be it.
Notes: Pivot harder on hooks, don't slide rear foot on rear hook.

Grappling: 1 1/2 hours
Butterfly guard switch to back.
Rolling: Finally working top again, knee feels better. A bit less fluid after a week off. Worked half guard > X guard/Deep half more. Passes were a bit sloppy.
Notes: Shin on stomach/leg hook sweep works with other shin in spider guard OR on bicep. If you extend sweep and they stand up, pick the ankle. Both bridging and turning work on brabo from bottom, just different choke styles.

Back