C.Beeby's MMA Log (MT/Wrestling/Luta Livre/Conditioning/Diet)

Chris Beeby

Brown Belt
Professional Fighter
Reaction score
"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body." -Chairman Mao

Well it's been a while since I bothered with one of these. I reread my old log and saw what a tool I was, but also realized that I could remember specific days by reading their write outs. So I decided to do another one.

Since last log:
I weigh about 170 solid (163 currently, cutting for my first fight October 16 at 155#).
I'm 19.
I have an orange belt in Luta Livre.
My conditioning is worlds better and I'm stronger.
I train 3 hours a day, 5 days a week (I take one rest day whenever I want, though).
I'm training Muay Thai consistently.
My wrestling is much better.
Less strict on my diet, although I eat very clean.

Life wise:
I went to CSU Monterey Bay, started smoking weed all day every day, considered joining the Navy, dropped out, went back to my gym, didn't join the Navy, beat the absolute living shit out of my brother, got kicked out of my house, got depressed, quit weed and read a few life changing books, saw a counselor, moved back into my house, brother moved out, went back to school at home (NOT Monterey), no longer depressed, considering converting to Buddhism, and am 2 weeks away from my first amateur fight. In that order.

Last edited:
Goals:

Life:
-Compete as much as possible.
-Keep life on track. Check
-Stay relatively clean. Part of the path to Buddhism has taught me that certain things stray away from enlightenment, but depriving oneself from pleasures completely only leads to misery.
-Train.
-Get supplements on point. Check
-Gain weight to fight at 170. Check
-Keep getting college credits.

Specifics: In this order
-Get stronger and when lifts begin to plateau, more explosive.
-Get better conditioning.
-Work my standup.
-Work my wrestling.
-Keep training luta livre.
-Make my teammates better every day.

Short term goals:
-Improve on half guard bottom sweeps. Check
-Improve on mount/back escapes Check?
-Improve my RNC Check
-Improve all arm chokes (except arm triangle)

Last edited:
10/1/10: Yesterday

Glad I could go light. Hurt my back Wednesday, took Thursday off to make sure I could recuperate.

Conditioning: ~30 minutes (late from coming from work)
Kept it light, coach is out. Laughing and talking the whole time. Dips, Benching a 45#, BW Squats, Rows with 60#'s, alternated with core excercizes of our choice.

Muay Thai: 1 hour
23, cover, step back on knee, rear kick, cover, push on knee, rear elbow, lead kick.

Notes: step on the push, not after posting arm. Hand on the chest, not the stomach.

Can't remember the other combo, it was nice though.

Grappling: 30 minutes
A couple teammates are going to the No-Gi worlds, so I've been helping train them for that. When I walked over they were drilling wrestling, so I did a few drills and then 2 5 minute rounds live.

Weight after: 162.5

Last edited:
Good luck.

Luta Livre is awesome and its cool your life didn't go the wrong way.

10/2/10: Yesterday

Conditioning: 3.0 mile run in 30:00 flat. Fairly easy, but SO boring. Did it on the treadmill, this is the longest I've ever ran on one. That floating feeling when you get off is SO strange.

Resting today, most likely, pretty busy.

Weight: 161.5

Did you ever get your 405 dl and 315 squat? I sure didn't.

Trying to keep the non, training posts to a minimum. Thanks MIDMOBOX.

Just found out my teammates had been reading my old training log, pretty funny considering the silly things I said in the last one. I'm sure I'll post silly things in this one too.

Last edited:
Welcome back to the logs

10/4/10:

Conditioning: 1 hour
Warmup on Swiss Balls: 50 pushup bouncing things, 25 one armed pushup bouncing things each arm(100 total)
100 rollouts
100 pikes
50 one legged pikes each leg
No one actually did all of these. Too hard.

Stability work (done with power cycle as of last week)
50 one legged squats on flipped bosu with 10# DBs each leg (100)
50 one legged SLDLs on flipped bosu with 10# DBs each leg (100)
25 pushup, row, hip drop things with one arm on bosu each arm (50)
50 "around the worlds" with 1 10# DB each direction (100)

Worked parrying to kicks.
Main combo was 12 lead kick, parry, rear kick, 2

Grappling: 1 hour
Drilled armbar from mount, far side (180) armbar from mount, arm bar escapes: RNC grip, trapping leg
Rolled 30 minutes (with gloves on): Need to work on my grip.

Weight after: 159. Found out weigh-ins are same day, so this is good news.

10/5/10:

No one came for wrestling/sparring at 5:30.

Grappling: 2 hours
Had the guys drill their shots, penetration steps, sprawling, sprawl to shot, etc.
Went over head and arm throw, taking the back from side control (bottom), and escaping the back.
Rolling 35 minutes. Gloves worked out better. Definitely was hunting for submissions. It's very interesting to see what works with gloves and what doesn't.

You'll actaully find that the are slight differences between gloves on what feels right and what doesn't.

10/6/10:

Warmup: Same pushups on swiss ball as monday

Bicep curls, overhead presses, lateral and diagonal movement, ice skaters, sideways jumping, one legged one arm snatches.

Arms were dead from conditioning. Extra attention to covering on everything.

Grappling 1 hour
Inverted armbar from guard, armbar from inverted armbar defense (sweeping to armbar position)
Rolling 30 minutes
Notes: Hips low on half guard pass, swim arm deeper for head control WITHOUT backing up. Work hooks on turtle, bottom hook is fine and when they work to knees, get the second hook. If it's shallow, grab ankle. Move to top with them, but hook is priority. When in mount working to high mount if they reach to shrimp, step further with lower leg vertical to work technical mount/taking the back/triangle.

Scale is miscalibrated.

Last edited:
10/7/10:

Running out of colors...

Sparring: 2 rounds boxing. Felt faster, but had less flow and more nerves.

Taught hi-crotch off of collar tie, inverted armbar, and spinning through off of armbar defense to traditional armbar.

Rolling notes: If partner posts off of hip bump sweep w/leg, go to pendulum/flower sweep.

Last edited:
10/11/10:

Conditioning: ~35 minutes
Partner carries in guard, single leg jumping with/out hands
Plyo pushups with a bosu
Single/double leg jumping over hurdles
Kipping pullups/isometric holds

Jumping side control
KOB pass
Kimura/Guillotine/Arm bar/Triangle
Taught adjusting the triangle
Rolling

10/12/10:

Sparring: Muay Thai/MMA
Wore headgear, went about 5 5 minute rounds, relatively light.
Notes: Extend punches more, more footwork. Use firemans variation off of double-overs and far side arm drag.

Helped teach the takedown, front headlock.
Showed the brabo from front headlock.
Rolling notes: fight = TOP. Hold position and punch

Weight: About 161. Not too worried, my water intake is a lot higher.

Last edited:
10/13/10:

Feeling pretty good. Ate a little more today and got my water intake to 2 gallons from being awake much longer. Tomorrow is distilled water/benefiber/flax seeds.

10/14/10:

Weight before: 160#

Grappling: ~2 hours
4 x 3 minute rounds, takedowns. Pretty tired from little water/food/not warmed up.
50 kimura
Taught passing to mount, transition to KOB, taking the back, and getting the back when opponent rolls.
Rolling: felt pretty good, we have a new guy who needs some work but is technical and about 180.

Weight after: 157.8!

10/15/10: Friday

Weight before: 157#

Grappling: ~30 minutes
Light rolling with gloves. Working on movement, punching positions, and just breaking a sweat.

Shadow fighting: ~15 minutes

Weight after: 156.4

10/16/10: Saturday

Weight at am: 156 (means no cutting)

Was stressing about how we would get to the fights, our ride was lagging a bit and instead of weigh-ins being at 12, they were postponed to 2:30 with practice weigh ins at 1:30.

Weighed in at the practice weigh-ins at 154.6... our scale was heavy. Sipped my pedialyte, started eating and weighed in at 155.5.

My opponent was 5' 3", I'm 6' 1".

Stood orthodox at the face off, I'm a southpaw.

He wouldn't look me in the eyes.

I wasn't very nervous throughout the day, just listened to some music and took deep breaths.

Submission win at :54 seconds in the first round. Armbar off of a failed flower sweep from guard.

Last edited:
10/18/10:

Stability ball
Inch worms
1 arm DB Snatches (40 @ 40#)
2 arm DB Snatches (30 @ 40#)
100 BW Rows
200 Ice Skaters

Options off of scissor sweep: Omaplata w/ mid posture, Leg sweep when they post, Stand up/Triangle when they back up
Rolling: get the hooks when they turn away in side. I know the option is there but I always miss it.

Back