C.Beeby's MMA Log (MT/Wrestling/Luta Livre/Conditioning/Diet)

11/30/10:

Sparring: 1 hour
Worked boxing, mostly. Threw about 2x the punches I normally do. Worked over under to outside trip and knee tap.

Grappling: 2 hour
Rolling: Worked shin on bicep/spider guard sweep, a bit more top. The guys who were there today are ones I prefer to work bottom with.
Butterfly guard top to back, switch to back.
Rolling again.

12/01/10:

Wrestling: 45 minutes.
Abnormally tired. Worked a bit more clinching, need to work my firemans more.
Started from the over-under for 2 rounds.

Sparring: with my coach
2x 2.5 minute rounds going about 90%

Muay Thai: 1 hour
123 rear elbow, cover, uppercut elbow, rear elbow, rear knee x 2, lead kick x2
lead push kick, rear knee x 2, rear kick x 2

Grappling: 1 hour
Rolling, bit more top and half guard. Worked a butterfly pass that I was shown by one of our purple belts yesterday. Grab the head and shin, pass to the opposite side.

12/02/10:

Grappling:1 hour
Lots of warming up, shadow wrestling. Bit of rolling from each position.

Grappling smoker saturday, healing up.

Cool log. I'll definitely be following. Glad your life took a turn for the better. I've seen people at tipping points go the other way.

Thanks pliftkl, my life definitely did for a while.

Grappling smoker:

5 matches.
2 points scored on me (assuming falling to your back from crucifix position with a kimura counts?)
13 takedowns.
11-13 subs.
Only on my back twice, once was from working a kimura from crucifix, ended up in half > x guard, working a sweep as time ran out. Other was because I fought the same guy twice, and he pulled guard on me the first time. Worked an overhook/wrist control sweep to mount.

My teammate got an award for most submissions (somewhere close to 20?!) and I got an award for best takedowns.

Things to work on:
-Triangle from mount, and other mounted subs.
-Brabo to japanese necktie
-Brabo to barataplata
-Triangle to barataplata
-Back submissions
-Bottom half guard
-Hi-crotch
-Ankle pick

Last edited:
12/06/10:

Conditioning: 1 hour
25 EZ curls 90#
24 1 arm rows 40#
20 pullups BW-~100 #
25 dynamic rows 115#
x3
15 horizontal pulldowns ~150#
10 pullup negatives
10 explosive BW rows
10 dips
x2

12 rear kick, catch teep, throw, 3 rear elbow, rear kick, catch round, step, switch stance, throw, lead kick x2

Grappling: 2 hours
Same techniques as last week. Keep DU to prevent opponent driving in on back take, keep hip to hip when taking off the top hook.

12/07/10:

I have a monster of a cauliflower ear right now, can't train much contact.

Sparring: Stopped due to ear pain after 2 rounds.

Grappling: 1 1/2 Hours
Taught the same moves as yesterday, rolled light and helped a beginner with establishing back control and shrimping combos.

12/08/10:

Drained my ear. It felt GREAT!

Conditioning: 1 hour.
This is a MASSIVE PR for me, last time I squatted (years ago), was for a 1rm of 225.
135x20
Pistol x 10 each leg
185x10
Pistol x 10 each leg
185x10
Pistol x 10 each leg
185x5
Pistols
x7
was supposed to do 10 sets total, only had time for 9 because...

112, step back, lead knee, lead kick x2, rear kick x2
Stations

No grappling, healing ear.

How are you pinching your ear after you drained it?

Tape and cotton balls, pretty weak, really. If you have any ideas I'll take them.

12/09/10:

Light wrestling from the over under, no takedown to ground 10 minutes
Same but to ground, about 10
Same, more pace, about 20
Added striking, about 20
Situational fighting: It's the last minute of the fight, you lost. Takedown and sub as fast as possible. Really fun, got me into it thinking about how it would feel if it were real.
2 rounds light rolling.

Protected my ear well.

12/13/10:

Pressing.
Warmup.
160# Bench x 12 (spotted at 6, still a major pr for me)
40# DB incline bench x 12
160# Bench x 8
40# DB incline bench x 12
160# Bench x 5
x3
10# DB overhead raises x 25
10 BW-60~# Dips
x4

13 rear leg kick, body hook, uppercut, rear leg kick x 2
13 rear body kick, uppercut, hook, lead kick x 2

Rolling notes: remembered how to spin to the back from opponent turning in on side well from Ryan Halls DVD preview. Put on 4 oz'ers as I will leading up to my fight which is hopefully on for January 7th.

Drained my ear again.

I use a 4x4 pads then wrap over the top of it with stretchy sports wrap(the underwrap you use on sprained ankles)I can just hide that under a stocking cap for work. Keeps some compression on it in a pretty unannoying way.

without the stocking cap I look like the flute player for the star spangled banner though. If someone asks just say tiger attack, then turn and walk away.

also since the chick with the tiger is not hot trade her out for this one

Last edited:
EXCELLENT post, hahahaha. I glanced at it and wondered what the second girl was for, but only just briefly.

Been trying to utilize this as much as possible rolling, I find it very interesting and it looks damn cool.

Last edited:
12/14/10:

Felt pretty lackluster today.

Wrestling: 1 hour
Worked a lot of body lock stuff, and a bit of double legs off of the plum.
About 8 or 9 5 minute rounds and 2 4 minute rounds from the over under (1 each sound)
Need to work getting the shoulder under more, keeping my underhook deep, head position and combos.

Taught the kimura from side control and far side armbar from the kimura.
Rolling notes: everything was loose loose loose.

12/15/10:

Strength: 1 hour
BORS:
45x20
95x12
115x5
135x5x5
185x3
205x1
225x1 (PR)

12 rear kick, slip, uppercut, 2, lead kick, post, rear elbow x 2
Notes: little bit of slide is okay, need to stand wider with a strong base
lead push kick, rear kick, rear push kick, lead kick x 20
Notes: need to have all my weight on posting leg on foot jabs or base falls forward

Felt a bit tighter than yesterday, but still not a great day.
Bunch of rolling back attacks, I like this move as I tend to face the legs for twister side a lot.

12/16/10:

I can feel my game changing. I used to have so much trouble holding people down that I would constantly attack attack attack with little position. Now I am trying to overcompensate the other way around and feel like I am becoming a blanket. I figured out why I haven't felt tight the last 2 days - I have been thinking too much about attacking instead of position. Need to relax and think less.

15 minutes takedowns (getting dominated)
3 takedowns alternating partners
staying in the middle 5 minutes x 3 guys, me in the middle once
rolling 10 minutes with 2 guys
Notes: work on switching from clinching to shooters stance, vice versa. And the crab from the back instead of just lifting and back heel trips.

Pretty light today, would have been a perfect transition into Friday but I have a monthly work thing tomorrow night. At least I get to check my weight.

Last edited:
12/21/10:

Burnouts on Rope BW rows, 160# Bench, 40# DB Bench, BW dips, ~160# lat pulldown.
TRX Burnouts on 45 degree BW row, vertical raise, 45 degree muscle up

12, uppercut elbow, rear elbow, cover, uppercut elbow, rear elbow, skip knee, rear kick, kick catch, rear elbow, throw, lead kick x2
kicked the bag for a checking/counter drill. felt good as far as shin conditioning goes.

Felt good, worked with the gloves avoiding playing guard and only sweep/submit/get up/top position.

12/22/10:

Sparring: 45 minutes
Worked specific rounds of footwork, setting up the jab, jabbing, feints, covering > takedown. Conditioning held up nice although once I passed 80% my recovery wasn't great.

3 rounds takedowns
2 rounds rolling: figured out an interesting cartwheel pass from butterfly variation trying to work the movement I saw Ryan Hall do with Marcelo, ending in north south.

12/23/10:

57.5# Pistol x 10 each leg
185# Squat x 8
185# SLDL x 12
50# 2 DB Side to side lunge x 24
Single leg swiss ball hamstring curl x 12 each leg

Jab, parry, lead elbow, rear kick x 2, cover, rear elbow, rear knee x 2, cover, rear elbow, lead kick x 2

Worked double over butterfly sweep, sweep to over under on other side, over under on other side to back, armdrag to back.
Taught RNC and armdrag to back.
Rolling: Gritting it out and giving it my all. Exhausted.

12/23/10:

Spider guard sweep, sweep to omoplata/bicep slicer hybrid, opponent stands to sweep.
Rolling: used the spiral ride and chair sit well, thank you Ryan Hall.

Back