Brock Lesnar on Ronda Rousey: A super athlete in a Weak Division

And Tate won it from Coenen, who is Cyborg's only legit win. So, if Ronda's belt is fake then so is Cryborg's career.

Diggem: Aldo and Cruz were also given belts. Are they fake champions too?

Are you using logic!?!?
GO AWAY with that shit! :icon_chee

but they are and were chumps.

That join date to post content ratio.

Did you see Ronda at wrestlemania and decide to follow her MMA career? Try watching some old stuff, you know before 2014-2015, and try thinking of it in context of that time. It's a great sport to get in to.

And Tate won it from Coenen, who is Cyborg's only legit win. So, if Ronda's belt is fake then so is Cryborg's career.

Diggem: Aldo and Cruz were also given belts. Are they fake champions too?

Aldo defended his WEC belt and promoted to UFC belt on the night he beat Gamburyan at WEC 51.

Cruz defended his WEC belt and promoted to UFC belt on the night he beat Scott Jorgensen at WEC 53, meaning Dana put the UFC belt on them in the cage after their fights.

Ronda was given a UFC belt at a press conference in between fights while she was the last Strikeforce women's bw champion.

I don't think it really matters, but I do think it is a bit lame to give someone a belt somewhere other than in the cage/ring immediately after a fight.

EDIT: Aldo actually didn't receive his UFC belt in cage, it was a few months after his last WEC fight. I still think it's lame though

the competition will catch up and far quicker than I think most predict. She is like Royce Gracie who dominated the UFC competition for awhile but soon everyone passed him up.

Just enjoy the ride while it lasts because it won't be for long.

Yes they gave her the belt without having earned it.
rolleyes.gif

by your logic Cruz and Aldo didnt earn their belts either

Jealous that he is the highest grossing UFC PPV main event of all time? That does not make sense at all.

UFC 100 was stacked PPV, Connor which i'm not a fan of almost had highest without having second championship[[ fight :rolleyes:.. You're a idiot

That's what everyone means when they say she's 20 years ahead of the women's division. I'm sure Sarah Mcmann is a good athlete in her own right, but women's wrestling has not reached the level of judo yet. Outside of Mcmann, the bulk of Ronda's competition will come from athletically average women who started training way later in life than she did. For now, it doesn't seem like the Olympic Judokas or high level BJJ ladies are interested in MMA, so it might be like this for a while. Now we see her finishing with strikes, but it would've been interesting to see her against a grappler of equal pedigree early in her career when she was rushing into the clinch and tossing chicks.

For all the people jumping to Ronda's defense, telling us how great she is, and telling us how much Brock sucks, I missed the part where Brock insulted or even criticized Ronda. He said she was great. She is. He said her competition sucks. It does.
How deep is her division..,She just was in a title fight with a woman having less than 10 pro fights, and who's been fighting for only 3 years. I'd say that pretty much proves the talent pool is fairly shallow. So how is Brock wrong?
This.

She beat up a former accountant, and submitted a soccer mom with terrible fight IQ before that. I'm not disputing that's she's very good; but she's also being treated like a WWF superstar in the 90's with all the jobbers/cans being fed to her.

He is right. Ronda can be superstar because of low level opponents even this fact is not her mistake.

Same can be said for every male athlete in the UFC.

HW champ Werdum: couldn't cut it in any major/Olympic sport.
LHW real champ Jones: couldn't cut it in any major/Olympic sport unlike his 2 superior borthers.
LHW paper champ DC: couldn't even medal in the Olympics
MW champ Weidman: best placement was 3rd place in NCAA Div I. That's 2 tiers below Olympic gold

I could go on. Ronda Rousey, despite being a subpar athlete herself, is actually the most accomplished champion out of the sad bunch of UFC champions.
You do know that men's wrestling (even in NCAA) is far more stacked than women's Olympic judo, right?

MHM, super athlete, yet these guys never won MMA gold, nor are they respected for their athletic achievements...

20080508sengoku03qb9.jpg

Ogawa-Naoya-PrideSW05-1.jpg

17_PawelNastulaPrideUSA.jpg

6524119951_d58fc08394.jpg

All very good fighters, all superior judokas to Ronda, yet most MMA fans consider them nobodies, while they cum to Ronda's judo credentials.

Crazy.

He's correct. Ronda should take the fight against Cyborg, that's a real challenge for her, which she will lose probably.

my problem with people saying this is... how can you tell?

I mean seriously... how can you really tell? What's the gauge for being able to tell if an opponent is just weak or if the champ is just that good?

If I knew NOTHING about the LHW division in the last few years, I could just assume it was weak and that Jones was just that good

so how do we know that this isn't a case of us simply not being informed enough about women's 135?

Here's how I look at the strength/weakness of a division:
1.You watch the people who fight for the title
2.Then you watch those people later on fighting newer up and comers or people who are supposed to be "lesser"
3.Compare

(keeping in mind that you have to factor in a fighter's prime and them falling off sometimes, which does happen)

Results: If the people who fight for the title are CONSISTENTLY getting their asses kicked or not looking good against lesser people with weak records, then you've got yourself a weak division.
However... if the people who fight for a title consistently dominate the lesser people, then you've got yourself a strong champion

Miesha Tate is one of the greatest pieces of evidence for the latter. She's 12-2 going into the 1st Ronda fight. Loses, but then dominates her next fight. Loses a very very tough fight against Cat Zingano (proving that Cat herself is elite and not just some random person being fed to Ronda) and then loses to Ronda again

then what does she do? 4 wins a row. 2 of them were former #1 contenders and 1 was a #1 contenders fight against Eye (who aside from 1 early career loss, has only lost to former #1 contenders)

I think far from having a weak division Ronda actually has a pretty damn strong one. Miesha Tate, Alexis Davis, Sarah Kaufman, Liz Carmouche, Cat Zingano, Jessica Eye, Sara Mcmann, Amanda Nunes

these are all people who have either competed for the title or were like 1 fight away from doing so and aside from maybe an early loss or two.. they almost always just lose to each other and then beat everyone else

that's sort of like how MW has Weidman on top, but then below that rockhold/jacare/romero/

all of whom could probably beat each other on any given night, the difference is unlike weidman, we're looking at more of a prime Anderson, prime GSP situation where the champion is making the division look bad by being so much better.

GSP had prime hughes, koscheck, fitch, penn, alves, condit,

and he beat them all like dogs but the division wasn't weak, all of those guys could've been playing hot potato with the belt if GSP up and left but instead he was there and he was so much better.

and that's what Ronda is

I mean seriously... how can you really tell? What's the gauge for being able to tell if an opponent is just weak or if the champ is just that good?

skills obv

a good athlete, the super one took the gold from Olympics.

They could beat each other any given day, it's who's the best At that exact moment.

Different if there was a dominate athlete like Karelin or phelps that are a cut above the rest.

isn't that what basically brock was?

yeah right....Cain, JDS, pre surgery Carwin, Couture, JDS....all these bums are weak fighters with 0 experience arent they?.....:rolleyes:

I agree with Brock 100 percent. Wmma is so green that it makes Ronda looks amazing, she's a great athlete and her judo is top notch, other than that she's fighting bums that dont know how to defend a guillotine or punch for shit.

Same can be said for every male athlete in the UFC.

HW champ Werdum: couldn't cut it in any major/Olympic sport.
LHW real champ Jones: couldn't cut it in any major/Olympic sport unlike his 2 superior borthers.
LHW paper champ DC: couldn't even medal in the Olympics
MW champ Weidman: best placement was 3rd place in NCAA Div I. That's 2 tiers below Olympic gold

I could go on. Ronda Rousey, despite being a subpar athlete herself, is actually the most accomplished champion out of the sad bunch of UFC champions.

If BJJ was an Olympic sport, Werdum would have Olympic level BJJ.

Jon Jones was a great JUCO wrestler, who had to decline a D1 scholarship for personal issues. I can think of a few accomplished world class wrestlers with similar backgrounds, Cormier and King Mo being two of them.

Although Cormier didn't win an Olympic medal, he was very successful in the international circuit against Olympic level wrestlers.

Even if Weidman places 3rd in the NCAA, that still puts him in the top of the food chain in wrestling. There have been Olympic champs who didn't win a D1 championship--Rulon Gardner comes to mind.

Explain how Ronda is a subpar athlete? That chick has more athletic ability in her little toe, than you. Did you not see the scramble against Cat Zingano? I didn't think there was a bigger Ronda hater than me, but you must me it.

my problem with people saying this is... how can you tell?

If I knew NOTHING about the LHW division in the last few years, I could just assume it was weak and that Jones was just that good

so how do we know that this isn't a case of us simply not being informed enough about women's 135?

Here's how I look at the strength/weakness of a division:
1.You watch the people who fight for the title
2.Then you watch those people later on fighting newer up and comers or people who are supposed to be "lesser"
3.Compare

(keeping in mind that you have to factor in a fighter's prime and them falling off sometimes, which does happen)

Results: If the people who fight for the title are CONSISTENTLY getting their asses kicked or not looking good against lesser people with weak records, then you've got yourself a weak division.
However... if the people who fight for a title consistently dominate the lesser people, then you've got yourself a strong champion

Miesha Tate is one of the greatest pieces of evidence for the latter. She's 12-2 going into the 1st Ronda fight. Loses, but then dominates her next fight. Loses a very very tough fight against Cat Zingano (proving that Cat herself is elite and not just some random person being fed to Ronda) and then loses to Ronda again

then what does she do? 4 wins a row. 2 of them were former #1 contenders and 1 was a #1 contenders fight against Eye (who aside from 1 early career loss, has only lost to former #1 contenders)

I think far from having a weak division Ronda actually has a pretty damn strong one. Miesha Tate, Alexis Davis, Sarah Kaufman, Liz Carmouche, Cat Zingano, Jessica Eye, Sara Mcmann, Amanda Nunes

these are all people who have either competed for the title or were like 1 fight away from doing so and aside from maybe an early loss or two.. they almost always just lose to each other and then beat everyone else

that's sort of like how MW has Weidman on top, but then below that rockhold/jacare/romero/

all of whom could probably beat each other on any given night, the difference is unlike weidman, we're looking at more of a prime Anderson, prime GSP situation where the champion is making the division look bad by being so much better.

GSP had prime hughes, koscheck, fitch, penn, alves, condit,

and he beat them all like dogs but the division wasn't weak, all of those guys could've been playing hot potato with the belt if GSP up and left but instead he was there and he was so much better.

and that's what Ronda is

Blah blah blah... you're reaching pretty hard my friend.

When the second and third best fighters in your weight class are "Cupcake" Tate and Alexis "Proud Soccer Mom" Davis, chances are the division is subpar at best.:icon_conf

isn't that what basically brock was?

lol, yep. brock talking a whole lot of shit about ufc these days considering he ran away with his tail tucked between his legs. a guy who couldn't handle a punch to the face, who went on to become champ, talking about ronda being a super athlete in a weak division. well i guess bork laser would know...

He's right. Ronda is a great fighter obviously but her competition is a joke

Back