International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

It was always going to happen either now or after a GE with Corbyn being electoral poison.
I never imaged the bill to get passed, by 30 really shocked me.

its clear we are now leaving.

The public are upset about the lack of progress and want it over. When it sinks in that this is going to still take years ......

Btw they voted to look at the deal not accept it.

Last edited:

I don't think it's that clear cut at all , he lost the next vote and he still hasn't got the DUP back on side .
MPs that voted for it to go forward may have done so in order to pick the thing apart and vote it down .

I don't think it's that clear cut at all , he lost the next vote and he still hasn't got the DUP back on side .
MPs that voted for it to go forward may have done so in order to pick the thing apart and vote it down .

Nah the whole things posturing for an election. Johnson will keep trying to push it through and pull it as soon as an amendment he doesn't like is attached, no chance it makes it through. He'll then go off on campaign skip the bit where he should be dead in a ditch and rant about how he tried to give the people their Brexit but the bad men in parliament stopped him.

He'll get in with a majority and then he can push whatever he wants through.

An outside chance he gaffs badly enough to throw the election but at this point he could probably stamp out a bunch of puppies and kittens on live TV and no-one would give a crap aslong as he still promised to deliver brexit.

What does it mean? First, don’t fall for the hype that says that parliament approved Johnson’s deal. It did not. MPs simply voted for it to receive a second reading, some of them motivated by the desire not to endorse it but to amend it. As Labour’s Gloria De Piero confessed, she voted yes, “not because I support the deal but because I don’t”. That 30-vote majority will include MPs who wanted to propose UK membership of a customs union, others keen on conditioning the deal on public support in a confirmatory referendum. Screen out the Tory spin: those MPs should not be counted as backers of the deal.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...r-the-hype-mps-not-approve-boris-johnson-deal

Probably shouldnt have voted for them if that's the case.

They lied to the voters is the point. It should be perfectly clear to anyone they have no intention of leaving. They wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal or Johnson's deal, both of which are heavy compromises and don't deliver the Brexit promised by David Cameron before the referendum.

They lied to the voters is the point. It should be perfectly clear to anyone they have no intention of leaving. They wouldn't vote for Theresa May's deal or Johnson's deal, both of which are heavy compromises and don't deliver the Brexit promised by David Cameron before the referendum.

I thought you were talking about the government?

19 Labour MPs voted for the Brexit deal. They ultimately got it over the line for it to pass

All 19 Lib Dem MPs voted against

Lol. Guess we will find out at the next election.

And for the record, this parliment was voted in after the referendum. They are a more modern representation of the people than the Brexit vote.

I thought you were talking about the government?

I thought Parliament was the government? Or does that term only apply to the PM and cabinet?

Labour clearly lied in their manifesto. No one should be denying that at this point.

Lol. Guess we will find out at the next election.

And for the record, this parliment was voted in after the referendum. They are a more modern representation of the people than the Brexit vote.

It's amazing. That's exactly what I mean. They were elected promising to honor the referendum and clearly many had absolutely no intention of doing that. Labour's pro-Brexit manifesto was a complete lie.

Last edited:
I thought Parliament was the government? Or does that term only apply to the PM and cabinet?

The basic idea of most parliamentary systems is that the government (the executive branch) consists of the PM and the cabinet. The executive is responsible to Parliament (the legislative) and is controlled by the courts (the judicial branch).

It's amazing. That's exactly what I mean. They were elected promising to honor the referendum and clearly many had absolutely no intentional of doing that. Labour's pro-Brexit manifesto was a complete lie.

I don't think that's accurate, but I won't excuse Labour as they've done a shit job no matter which side you are on or the preferred outcome would be.

The basic idea of most parliamentary systems is that the government (the executive branch) consists of the PM and the cabinet. The executive is responsible to Parliament (the legislative) and is controlled by the courts (the judicial branch).

I was being sarcastic. I already know this. It should have been clear I was referring to the MPs voting to sabotage Brexit in spite of both Labour and Cons running on a Pro-Brexit manifesto. And now they won't allow a GE because they are terrified of being held accountable. Which utterly defeats every single argument about how they are doing what they were elected to. If that were true, they would already triggered a GE.

Leave has to win another 10 elections it seems. That's the way it's always been.

Labour clearly lied in their manifesto. No one should be denying that at this point.

That's not necessarily true. If for example, Labour had of narrowly won Government with support from the SNP, and they negotiated a deal that involved Scotland exiting the UK and remaining in the EU, Unionist Tories who stood on respecting the referendum would not have been lying in their manifesto should they vote against it. Just because you support a deal doesn't mean you should support every deal (especially this seemingly horrendous one).

It's amazing. That's exactly what I mean. They were elected promising to honor the referendum and clearly many had absolutely no intention of doing that. Labour's pro-Brexit manifesto was a complete lie.

Labour are the opposition. They oppose that's what they do.

They oppose the government's deal because it's not the version of Brexit that they were voted in on.

Back