International Brexit Discussion v9: The Last Extension

They voted to leave the customs union and the single market. Again, this was repeated over and over again by Remainer David Cameron.

The EU won't accept a deal that allows Britain to do that, ergo No Deal is the only way for Brexit to happen.

Lol. And is that what the campaigns said? No deal is inevitable? Or did they say no deal is impossible.

They voted to leave the customs union and the single market. Again, this was repeated over and over again by Remainer David Cameron.

The EU won't accept a deal that allows Britain to do that, ergo No Deal is the only way for Brexit to happen.

Do you really care that much about Northern Ireland? Because the EU deal makes every other part of the UK leave the custom union and the single market.

But this is not true. This is exactly what is on the table. UK would leave both.
Exactly. The UK could easily say no deal Brexit and walk away. Except everyone with an ounce of sense realizes that it's the absolute worst way to handle this - from the trade issues to Ireland. That anyone looks at the UK attempting to manage the negative outcomes as a failing of the UK is insane to me.

They made a bad decision, they shouldn't double down and make it worse just because some random Americans want to stick it to the EU. It's not our economy that's at risk.

Lol. And is that what the campaigns said? No deal is inevitable? Or did they say no deal is impossible.

It's coming down to the rhetorics of "No Deal is Impossible" (Tories) vs. "No-Deal is Impossible" (Labour).

At the same time, we also have a squabble with "No Deal is Possible" (Lib Dems) vs. "No-Deal is Possible" (Tories).

This parliament is something else, I tell ya.

It's coming down to the rhetorics of "No Deal is Impossible" (Tories) vs. "No-Deal is Impossible" (Labour).

At the same time, we also have a squabble with "No Deal is Possible" (Lib Dems) vs. "No-Deal is Possible" (Tories).

This parliament is something else, I tell ya.

That's what people voted for though.

That's what people voted for though.

I really wish Corbyn is not such a wimp about a General Election now, then there will be another argument about "the updated and most-current will of the people".

- Those who wants Brexit no matter what can vote Tories.
- Those who wants to cancel Brexit no matter what can vote Lib Dems.
- Those who wants Prime Minister Corbyn no matter what can vote Labour.

I really wish Corbyn is not such a wimp about a General Election now, then there will be another argument about "the updated and most-current will of the people".

- Those who wants Brexit no matter what can vote Tories.
- Those who wants to cancel Brexit no matter what can vote Lib Dems.
- Those who wants Prime Minister Corbyn no matter what can vote Labour.

The election is already more current than the referendum.

Seems like the older vote should be held again.

How low will Boris go?

I've heard he has a plan of getting the SNP on-board by promising them a 2nd Scottish Referendum if they back his deal.

Lawyers to try to stop Boris Johnson putting Brexit deal before MPs
Legal action to be lodged in Scotland on basis withdrawal agreement contravenes law

Anti-Brexit campaigners plan to lodge a legal action with the intention of banning the government from putting its proposed withdrawal agreement before parliament.

Jolyon Maugham QC said he believes the agreement, due to be debated in a special parliamentary sitting on Saturday, contravenes legislation stating that it is “unlawful for Her Majesty’s government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...hnson-putting-withdrawal-agreement-before-mps

Not really buying that a Brexit deal is anywhere near close. Both side have certain positions they will not shift on under any circumstances, making a deal impossible. Sound like a ploy to just pass time before the 31st.

Lawyers to try to stop Boris Johnson putting Brexit deal before MPs
Legal action to be lodged in Scotland on basis withdrawal agreement contravenes law

Anti-Brexit campaigners plan to lodge a legal action with the intention of banning the government from putting its proposed withdrawal agreement before parliament.

Jolyon Maugham QC said he believes the agreement, due to be debated in a special parliamentary sitting on Saturday, contravenes legislation stating that it is “unlawful for Her Majesty’s government to enter into arrangements under which Northern Ireland forms part of a separate customs territory to Great Britain”.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...hnson-putting-withdrawal-agreement-before-mps

some people will stop at nothing to overturn a vote. It’s not going to work.

some people will stop at nothing to overturn a vote. It’s not going to work.

The people aren't Soveriegn in our brand of democracy so referenda are only advisory, it's not like a vote in legality or form.

The whole thing is a shambles and should have been a lot clearer on what was being voted on, all that's pretty irrelevant now and I personally believe (despite voting against it) they should try and enact the result from the vote, i.e. leave the EU, the vagueness of the question and the advisory nature of the referendum makes that hard though cause folk cannot be compelled to listen to the result.

Deal will get closer but won't pass

General election coming and give it a 50% chance Tories get a majority and 50% 2nd referendum parties can cobble together a broad coalition

So it's more or less like the May deal with the added bonus of pissing of their erstwhile cronies in the DUP ........'super saturday' is probably not going to be very super .

He will gain some of his own party's votes because he removed the Irish backstop.

He will gain some of his own party's votes because he removed the Irish backstop.

Will it be enough though ? , he might pick up a few Labour votes and maybe a few of the expelled Tory rebels might return to the fold but its still going to be to close for comfort .

The power elites?

So Boris Johnson doesn't want Brexit?

If you care about the will of the people, you surely are not opposed to a second r referendum. Or do you care more about the will of the 2016 population than of the 2019 one?

Referendum until I get the result I want is not democracy.

Back