Books you're reading now

How was Caging Skies? Jojo Rabbit was my favourite movie of 2019 but it's hard to imagine how it would read in text form.
I haven't seen Jojo Rabbit yet but Caging Skies is a lot darker and more depressing than the movie appears to be and there is no imaginary Hitler.

I have been meaning to read Lord of the rings for a long time. I am now halfway through.

The extended editions of the movies being played in theaters have helped motivate me to revisit the books. I'm glad I did.

I rarely re-read books but I've read LOTR about half a dozen times. So well written, amazing flow.

I'm reading a book about books called "50 books that changed the world". I think after I finish it I'd like to read a book about the best books about the best books.

51ueoexgYqL.jpg

finished reading 7 or 8 Expanse books. really good.
casually reading The Crusades
51c32NYZEbL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

fascinating analysis with some cheek as well
If you fancy a fictional counterpart to that I’d strongly recommend The Religion by Tim Willocks.

The Leader Who Had No Title - Robin Sharma

Fuck yeah! I love it when more people read Malazan.

Stick with it! Soon the plotlines will start to converge and become more clear.

I put this series far above "Game of Thrones" and these guys actually finished them all and are writing more.
That’s how my brother sold me on Joe Abercrombie, ‘It’s like George RR Martin, if George RR Martin new how to finish a story’...

Not sure if anyone else is a Goodreads newsletter subscriber, but the end-of-the-year email went out a few weeks ago.

source.gif

OMG if you are an old white ritzy liberal woman past menopause these lists are for you.
Fucking Trevor Noah??? Fucking Dhali Lama and Desmond Tutu??? Fucking Michelle Obama? The sequel to the Handmaiden's tale (the first one was ok)
Out of like 50 books maybe 5 are ok (The Goldfinch, Murakami SP?, american gods, ramond carver)

Stay as far away from these lists as possible.

Don't have a problem wiStay as far away from these lists as possible.
Strange to fear stories and ideas. It's just a list of recommendations from fellow readers.

You're the demagogue. I have no patience for demagogues.

Strange to fear stories and ideas. It's just a list of recommendations from fellow readers.

You're the demagogue. I have no patience for demagogues.

OMG, you've been reading the Trevor Noah book haven't you???? NOOOOOOOOO!!!

PS Any list without Taken by the T-Rex is suspect!
51f%2BcNHRVOL.jpg

Loved Wheel of Time, Sword of Truth series, and A Song of Ice and Fire. But yes, there are legitimate criticisms for all three (WOT I feel could have been much shorter, especially).

I may have to try that other series you commented about, but it sounds pretty ambitious/intimidating. Same with Sanderson's Stormlight Archives (think that's what one of his series is called).

I just finished reading The Secret Commonwealth (Book 2 of a sequel trilogy to His Dark Materials). Honestly, the new trilogy is fairly meh compared to the original, and just super pseudo-philisophical.

I just picked up Watchmen (the graphic novel). I've never really explored this medium, but I'm enjoying it. But I loved the movie (and can't decide whether I loved or hated the show).

Ya I think i hated show lol. Its clever yes but Angela is terrible. I had no interest in her. Eventually I found myself willing to like it but I just didnt.

I have two books I'm reading or about to read. The first is called, 100 Deadly Skills. It isn't a book that I'm enjoying. When I bought it I thought it was about others ideas. It is a best seller though so apparently many others find the book entertaining.

The other books is called, FDR 's Folly, How Rosevelt and his New Deal prolong the great depression. Imagine the book to be dry reading but will be interesting to see another side of history.

source.gif

OMG if you are an old white ritzy liberal woman past menopause these lists are for you.
Fucking Trevor Noah??? Fucking Dhali Lama and Desmond Tutu??? Fucking Michelle Obama? The sequel to the Handmaiden's tale (the first one was ok)
Out of like 50 books maybe 5 are ok (The Goldfinch, Murakami SP?, american gods, ramond carver)

Stay as far away from these lists as possible.

Are you a Bloom kind of guy?

Are you a Bloom kind of guy?

harry potter is not the type of stuff I would write, but Harry Potter books are fucking good. And they are money to talk about with at girls you meet at bars.

I love like harry potter, game of thrones, and lord of the rings.

But I am more into transgressive fiction like Bret Easton Ellis (the best, he wrote american psycho), old Chuck Palaniuk, and also stuff from Donna Tart, Dostoevsky, Shirley Jackson, Cormack McCarthy, raymond carver, Joan Didion, Amy Hempel
and I will read like philosophical stuff by Jung, Nietzsche, Zizek, Baudrillard, Deleuze, Kierkegaard (the fucking man)
and writing books, screenplay books
and a long time ago Stephen King and Clive Barker

Oh, and I read all of the Marquis De Sade's book when I was in high school....fun times!!!

I usually like weird shit

I'm reading a book about books called "50 books that changed the world". I think after I finish it I'd like to read a book about the best books about the best books.
I read that one. It’s alright.

harry potter is not the type of stuff I would write, but Harry Potter books are fucking good. And they are money to talk about with at girls you meet at bars.

I love like harry potter, game of thrones, and lord of the rings.

But I am more into transgressive fiction like Bret Easton Ellis (the best, he wrote american psycho), old Chuck Palaniuk, and also stuff from Donna Tart, Dostoevsky, Shirley Jackson, Cormack McCarthy, raymond carver, Joan Didion, Amy Hempel
and I will read like philosophical stuff by Jung, Nietzsche, Zizek, Baudrillard, Deleuze, Kierkegaard (the fucking man)
and writing books, screenplay books
and a long time ago Stephen King and Clive Barker

Oh, and I read all of the Marquis De Sade's book when I was in high school....fun times!!!

I usually like weird shit

I like weird shit too, man. I’ve been reading “Haunted” by Palahniuk and I’m “enjoying” it.

I don’t have much of a pattern to my reading, just sort of skim wherever I like these days. Do you ever read comics? I’ve been consuming a lot of Grant Morrison along with the great Chinese sci fi writer Liu Cixin. Somehow “three body problem” was complemented by “New X-Men” in a way I can’t quite put together yet, except to say, it fit really well for me.

History was my passion for a decade but I don’t want to soliloquize Arnold Toynbee in a Sherdog chat.

I haven’t read Harry Potter, but after you mentioned that bit about chatting to girls about it, I will. I’d never considered that, dork that I am. Bloom is famous for hating fun; but I love his critiques and selections. When he tells you a piece of work has power - it does. But not everyone can spend their lives in a corner reading, like he did. He’s sometimes off the mark because of the life he lived imo.

I have read Thus Spoke Zarathustra and enjoyed it for the most part. It was creepy. The part with the tightrope walker who falls and dies still spins in my head. (I hope that’s the right book.)

Although he doesn’t resonate with me the way, say, Robspierres speeches do. Nietzsche may have been gods eulogist, but it was Robespierre who guillotined him.

Back