Books you're reading now

I have read most of Hancock's books. If you like ancient mysteries he does a great job on them. He gets a lot of hate from the archeology community though.20201209_053715.jpg

Attachments

• 20201209_053715.jpg
    20201209_053715.jpg
    817 KB · Views: 1
Unfollow by Megan Phelps-Roper

interesting read so far. To see how her grandad went from being a decent person helping civil rights to leading those assholes at Westboro is kind of crazy.

I finished Cows by Matthew Stokoe. It was kind of one of those “I dare you to read this” type things from a friend. Do yourself a favor and don’t read it.

I finished Cows by Matthew Stokoe. It was kind of one of those “I dare you to read this” type things from a friend. Do yourself a favor and don’t read it.
when i’m being that friend i’m recommending Eden Eden Eden by Pierre Guyotat or babyfucker by Urs Allemann

quality literature though tbh.

I have read most of Hancock's books. If you like ancient mysteries he does a great job on them. He gets a lot of hate from the archeology community though.View attachment 818862

I love Hancock's books, even if I don't subscribe to everything he says. I've given sooooo many copies of FingerPrints of the Gods and this one away to friends. Never cared if they were returned, like copies of Dune, because I always get cheap paperbacks on amazon for like 3 bucks.

I love Hancock's books, even if I don't subscribe to everything he says. I've given sooooo many copies of FingerPrints of the Gods and this one away to friends. Never cared if they were returned, like copies of Dune, because I always get cheap paperbacks on amazon for like 3 bucks.
Same here. It's good to pass books on. I read his War God trilogy this spring. It was really good. I was leary of how his fiction would turn out.

Ok I picked up Kon Tiki at the used book store today and haven't put it down. Halfway through it now. My dad recommended it years ago. Wish I had read it sooner.20201209_214810.jpg

philistine

Might give Eden, Eden, Eden a go but the other one I’m not touching. I like extreme books sometimes just for the hell of it but I don’t want them to become “normal” for me if that makes sense.

Thinking of finally tackling 'The Bell Jar.'

I've got a lot of time on my hands... Anyone read it?

No...but I know a girl who liked that book, however, she said it's not a good book if you're sad/depressed

Just finished No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. It was good and a fast read. It adds much more details the movie left out.

Halfway into Ubik & so far enjoying it very much. PKD Bless.
iu

Last edited:
I've just finished The Return Of The King... Now I need to rewatch all the movies :)

9780007203567.jpg

It’s weird how when you show someone a picture of your kid or pet.. something you give so much personal meaning too and they clearly don’t GAF but you continue to do it anyway.. I’m about to do that now talking about the past few books I’ve read.

I had a complete spiritual and chemically induced catastrophe over thanksgiving break that it really rocked my world. Physically and spiritually. The year previous to this I was playing video games for about 20-25 hours a week and more or less living a life on autopilot. I haven’t played since but I’ve reading everyday.

Dreamland- a journalistic style book about the opiate pandemic in America that covers every facet of the perfect storm that got the whole nation dopesick. Pharma corporations pushing deadly drugs under the guise of a panacea, the doctors abusing their powers to distribute these drugs, the stories of cops and addicts alike that stretch from small villages in Mexico growing and manufacturing the black tar to the middle class subjects it decidedly falls upon and the rehabs struggling to minimize its damage. The book often references Columbus Ohio which in early 2000 was one of the epicenters of heroin epidemic. The city I grew up in and where I started shooting heroin when I was about 16 years old so the book hit close to home.

GLOCK - another journalistically style book written about the comeuppance of a humble shower hanger manufacture to his rise of one of most profitable and notorious gun manufacturers in the world.

I cracked open some Alan Watts and Thich Nhat Hanh about various subjects but struggled to get through the density and inaccessibility to really internalize some of the finer nuances of their truths and meanings.

Now for the important part.

I reread East of Eden which I previous read during one of the darkest points in my life and a time when I was sober for the first time since I was 14. It would take too long to write the coincidental significances and almost mysterious epiphanies and things that I encountered while reading that book but after reading it again I’m plunged back into the same cycle of moments that seem all too profound to be just coincidence.

The next book was Demian by Hesse which unbeknownst to me shared a similar and critical theme of the story of Cain and Abel.. one that is referenced several times in East of Eden.

different eras, different authors, and completely different books but at the end of each the internalized emotional change of psych I experienced was exactly the same.

Has anyone else ever found themselves.. or maybe something finding itself to them at exactly the right moment or during perfect conditions in which by desperation you’re finally ready and willing to accept some kind of catalyst for a real acceptance of change in psyche? Like the universe takes its place in you and tells you shut the fuck up and listen?

“at that time I found a peculiar refuge - by “chance,” as one says. But really such happenings cannot be attributed to chance. When a person is in need of something, and the necessary thing happens, this is not due to chance but to himself; his own desire leads him compellingly to the object of which he stands in need”

sometimes I get so caught up in wishing and wanting to be happy that I become miserable and forget it’s not even happiness that I truly desire. It’s just to be fucking awake.

Last edited:
Back