Books you're reading now

IMG_3575.jpg

Just finished The Shed and the Well. Its a series of short stories, scifi type stuff. Really cool stuff. Author is an Army Vet of Afghanistan.

Highly recommend it.

Listening to the audio book on Dune. It is pretty good. It is very political and not overly scientific techy for sci-fi.

Just received this today and I'm excited to read it.

ERU4I_DWoAAPKJV.jpg:large

How do you guys hear about good new books to read? Fiction and non-fiction.

Any of you guys sell your old books? I typically give mine away or donate them but was thinking about selling them on Craigslist instead. If I have a sci fi trilogy that I spent 60 bucks on, is it feasible for me to list it for 20 bucks online?

Any of you guys sell your old books? I typically give mine away or donate them but was thinking about selling them on Craigslist instead. If I have a sci fi trilogy that I spent 60 bucks on, is it feasible for me to list it for 20 bucks online?
I often reread books so I usually hang on to them.

Currently reading "Brewed in America: The History of Beer and Ale in America" as well as "If it Bleeds" by Stephen King because I like the main character of the title story and didn't feel like diving into anything too heavy at the moment.

888893._SX318_.jpg

new as in published recently or new as in a book you’ve never heard about before?

i don’t typically want to get rid of my books, but i drive all over the eastern cities & towns in my state for work, so i leave a stash of books that i have better editions of, or that i’ve moved on from, in the trunk of my car & will leave them in any “take one/share one” little library i happen to pass.

i wish my french wasn’t as rudimentary as it is because the Oulipian constraint/exercise that Garréta implements in Sphinx would be all the more impressive in the original text compared to the english translation. credit to the translator though, because the conceit doesn’t get entirely lost in translation & stays true to Garréta’s objective despite the grammatical gender in the french language vs english language semantic gender.

Finished The World Of Yesterday by Stefan Zweig. Seemed like a really rich guy who was addicted to befriending every influential writer, musician, artist etc in Europe. I dunno, didn't do much for me.

On the 3rd book of the Five Nights of Freddy series.

GUEST_2e506f51-9323-4a50-967d-47f0050dc264

The series is ok. The first book was great though.

If I read a work of fiction and I enjoy it I google the author and find out who their own favorite writers were. I've discovered a lot of authors like this.

Non fiction is a bit harder. Goodreads is helpful.

Just finished “The Library at Mount Char” by Scott Hawkins. For me, it was absolutely incredible. Didn’t know what to expect, but so glad I got the recommendation from goodreads after reading an almost as impressive novella called “Sour Candy”, by Kealan Patrick Burke. Though this is about the novel.

A bizarre mix of depravity and surrealities. Both simple in writing style, and thought-provoking. At least it was for me.
Not sure what it should be categorized as. Maybe urban fantasy, alongside Gaiman’s works, and his contemporaries. Some bits feel like SF fantasy too, so it’s kind of mixed bag, but it doesn’t come off as unfocused. And unlike many novels that drop you off directly into a different world with a smattering of its own vocabulary, it’s not overwhelming, and really does make for one hell of a page turner. Starts really strong, right out of the gate. Had no real lull in the pace either. Finished it in a day. Just couldn’t put it down.

Though you will see some of the twists coming, you cannot possibly see them all. It is really a twisted universe that old Hawkins set up. Some young children get orphaned, and then get taken in by a mysterious fellow, who they all come to call Father. Father has a library, filled with many, many books. Each must learn their own “catalog” of knowledge. Endowing them with certain powers/skills, and many more responsibilities, such as never venturing into each other’s catalogues. For Father has a plan for them, and all must play a role, or suffer dire consequences. To say more would really spoil the fun of it all. Don’t be fooled though, it is definitely not a kids book, both due to the graphic nature of some of the deaths and a tad bit of torture, and the concepts used throughout. Ending was good also. Didn’t tie up everything, but it did enough to satisfy, and make all the parts come together enough to understand the point, if not how all the sausage is made. Though this book was never meant to reveal everything anyway. Regression Completion, as Father would say...

One last thing about it, and maybe someone out there has read it too and might agree. It had the best epilogue title ever. It was exactly what I was thinking. 9/10

Back