Books you're reading now

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Steve Rogers, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Cantona7 Purple Belt

Just downloaded the new Joe Abercrombie, The Trouble With Peace. I’ve warned the missus not to expect any conversation for the next few days...

2. zapataxiv Red Belt

Like i said it is my favorite
    The characters are very memorable. The way the story is toldmis quite amazing as well. As in tenusual stories are heros using the best of humanity to fight waves of incomprehensible terror. This is quite different as they are astartes, and formidable astartes as they are from the original legions and children of their Primarch . But they have been shattered and reduced to scavaging an existence running from battles and plundering each other as much as the imperium. His brothers have become content to live as pirates but the protag who is cursed with prophetic vision (like kurze), has been having visions leading on a journey to lea dthe legion back into the war and against his daemonic influenced brothers (ADB night lords hate demonic influence and look down on psychic powers this is carried in the HH narratives too).

One of the things i found the most interesting was the twisted sense of morality and duty that ADB gave them really gives them a feeling that runs against other chaos archetypes in 40k who blend together imo.

If was one of my first 40k books and i reread it probably once a year. It took me two and a half weeks to finish it liast time i read the three books LOL i just couldn’t put em down

xenomorph4prez likes this.
  3. websurfer Green Belt

Just recently finished these. Even though I have many books in my collection, I have read all three of these twice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Sunnyvale TP White Belt

I read the Wind Up Bird recently by Murakami. Odd tale but the author paints a very vivid picture in your mind. How was The Elephant Vanishes?

5. HOLA Silver Belt

Just finished Stone Junction by Jim Dodge. Didn't care for it. Read it because Thomas Pynchon is one of my favorite writers and he wrote the introduction. Oh well.

Before that in recent weeks I reread Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov and Growth of The Soil by Knut Hamsun, both of which are brilliant, and read A Short History of Decay by Emil Cioran which was definitely one of the more unique reading experiences I've ever had, in a good way.

6. websurfer Green Belt

It's a couple of short stories, very easy to read.
    My favorites being "On Seeing the 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning."
    You can read it here. The other stories in the book are good too.
    https://eng10260833.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/murakami-100-percent-perfect.pdf