Books you're reading now

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Steve Rogers, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Xianders White Belt

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    COHAB likes this.
  2. ObsoleteSoul Silver Belt

Just finished “The Library at Mount Char” by Scott Hawkins. For me, it was absolutely incredible. Didn’t know what to expect, but so glad I got the recommendation from goodreads after reading an almost as impressive novella called “Sour Candy”, by Kealan Patrick Burke. Though this is about the novel.

A bizarre mix of depravity and surrealities. Both simple in writing style, and thought-provoking. At least it was for me.
    Not sure what it should be categorized as. Maybe urban fantasy, alongside Gaiman’s works, and his contemporaries. Some bits feel like SF fantasy too, so it’s kind of mixed bag, but it doesn’t come off as unfocused. And unlike many novels that drop you off directly into a different world with a smattering of its own vocabulary, it’s not overwhelming, and really does make for one hell of a page turner. Starts really strong, right out of the gate. Had no real lull in the pace either. Finished it in a day. Just couldn’t put it down.

Though you will see some of the twists coming, you cannot possibly see them all. It is really a twisted universe that old Hawkins set up. Some young children get orphaned, and then get taken in by a mysterious fellow, who they all come to call Father. Father has a library, filled with many, many books. Each must learn their own “catalog” of knowledge. Endowing them with certain powers/skills, and many more responsibilities, such as never venturing into each other’s catalogues. For Father has a plan for them, and all must play a role, or suffer dire consequences. To say more would really spoil the fun of it all. Don’t be fooled though, it is definitely not a kids book, both due to the graphic nature of some of the deaths and a tad bit of torture, and the concepts used throughout. Ending was good also. Didn’t tie up everything, but it did enough to satisfy, and make all the parts come together enough to understand the point, if not how all the sausage is made. Though this book was never meant to reveal everything anyway. Regression Completion, as Father would say...

One last thing about it, and maybe someone out there has read it too and might agree. It had the best epilogue title ever. It was exactly what I was thinking. 9/10

3. Bathwater Let me clean you with my love

I really enjoyed that book. As cheesy as it is to say, but it changed my life when I was in college. Completely changed the way I view the world and human existence.

4. SammyPops Gold Belt

Critical Faillures 8. A total junk food fantasy series.

5. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reading each novel in a row to form Markson’s The Notecard Quartet

6. zapataxiv Red Belt

Good mob book.
    If you dig that i would recommend “mobsters in our midst” and “mob boss: the life of al D’arco”
    Two pretty good books about real mob lore. I like the D’arco book in particular becuase it is in depth on one of the mob stories that i find most interesting, the reign of Anthony Casso as boss of the luccheseses.

Shael likes this.
  7. Shael Silver Belt

Thanks for the recommendations. You're about to send me down a rabbit hole.

zapataxiv likes this.
  8. zapataxiv Red Belt

The casso story is awesome but it is also quite interesting as in D’Arco flipped and has his story out a published, Then Casso flipped and tried to Get his story published (confessions of a mob boss). So you can read the story from both points of view Lol.

Shael likes this.
  9. Shael Silver Belt

Since you seem to read a lot about this. Was Sheeran lying about killing Hoffa? They touched on it a bit in the Buffalino book but it seems like the streets agree Sheeran was full of shit.

10. zapataxiv Red Belt

From what i have read i would say i dont believe him, also i would say he just straight up lied about killing Joey Gallo.

11. Shael Silver Belt

Right, seems like he Forrest Gumped himself into unsolved crimes.

zapataxiv likes this.
  12. Losfer Words Brown Belt

Juat finished the alloy of law, mistborn era 2. It was a fun read. Still waiting on book 4 of stormlight...closer closer.

13. COHAB we shall fight in the shade

14. Brandon Wilson Amateur Fighter

Just finished book 7 of The Malazan Book of The Fallen: Reaper's Gale (literally just finished it an hour ago). This series is crazy. Way too complex and in depth to even begin describing. Going to start book 8 (which I have right in front of me) either today or tomorrow.

15. Sunnyvale TP Orange Belt

Just about done with this. Has anyone else read it? 20201109_021509.jpg

16. HenryFlower (sheesh!)

17. Stranger Come Knocking Red Belt

You know I've been a huge fantasy nerd for years and still put this series off. Maybe it'll be good for being holed up inside this winter.

Brandon Wilson and Sunnyvale TP like this.
  18. Jack&Cat Green Belt

Thinking of finally tackling 'The Bell Jar.'

I've got a lot of time on my hands... Anyone read it?

19. Losfer Words Brown Belt

Finally got book 4 of stormlight. The first 3 i read in paperback so this is my first hardcover of stormlight...man the book is pretty, the art, the stamp on the uncovered front, the purple. My love for stormlight continues to grow. Finished the intro last night, will crack chapter one today.

20. Stranger Come Knocking Red Belt

Just got it. Gotta read that novella first tho.

Losfer Words likes this.