Biggest gatekeeper @ UFC ?

UFC GOAT Gatekeeper is

• Total voters
How about Jacare? Never fought for the belt and if you look at his resume, everyone he lost to at MW (sans Hermansson so far) eventually did. At the same time he also prevented guys like Mousasi, Brunson, Boetch, Camozzi, Okami, Carmont, etc from advancing to the top of the division
noted & added

Interesting list. You have Romero there who's top #2-3 and then Sergio Pettis who is... He's the brother of his more successful brother Anthony Pettis. Sergio Pettis has done nothing to be called a gatekeeper unless we're talking about "if you can't beat him, you don't belong in the UFC" type of gatekeeper.

Every opponent that Jussier Formiga lost to in UFC FLW division fought for the title next match.

I know division is thin, but that's the definition of gatekeeper.

I don't think anyone you named is actually a gatekeeper except Cerrone.

noted & added
Nice. He's the unequivocal answer to the question imo. Literally everyone he beat in the UFC at MW did not go on to fight for the belt while everyone he lost to at MW (sans his most recent MW loss Herm) did go on to fight for the belt lol. Plus Jacare is probably the highest level fighter who could be considered a "gatekeeper"

Cerrone, Yoel and Faber: historically, you don't beat them unless you are a champ. Ping Ping was up there too but he finally won his belt.

RDA is the perfect top 5 gatekeeper right now.
Yep, now he is a super solid litmus test, but I think by definition of gatekeeper you can't have been a champion. JDS used to be a great former champ gate keeper as well. And, if you didn't count DC as a legit champ, then he would be GOAT Keeper.

Who do you think that is ?
Well ima have to go with Ngannou cus he is technically the "biggest" gatekeeper out of that whole list....ill stop. <OKC16>

Yep, now he is a super solid litmus test, but I think by definition of gatekeeper you can't have been a champion. JDS used to be a great former champ gate keeper as well. And, if you didn't count DC as a legit champ, then he would be GOAT Keeper.

Nah, DC would make a terrible gatekeeper because no one would get through him. The gatekeeper lets contenders through.

Here is the correct answer:

Joe Lauzon fused with Jim Miller (dbz style).

or

Clay Guida fused with Lauzon or MIller. Fuck it fuse all 3

The ultimate LW gatekeeper. Neither of the 3 fought for a title, yet they were all ranked in the top 5-10ish for a long time during their primes. The Cerberus of gatekeeping, literal 3 headed dog guarding hell's gate. It's beautiful.

Nah, DC would make a terrible gatekeeper because no one would get through him. The gatekeeper lets contenders through.
Haha, well isn't this the purpose of a gatekeeper, to weed out the champs from contenders? I guess there are many kind of gatekeepers tho, top 30, top 20, top 10 and top 5. A guy like Yoel is kind of like DC, in that he beats all except the champ - or did up until Eraser.

Back