Biggest gatekeeper @ UFC ?

UFC GOAT Gatekeeper is

• Total voters
Haha, well isn't this the purpose of a gatekeeper, to weed out the champs from contenders? I guess there are many kind of gatekeepers tho, top 30, top 20, top 10 and top 5. A guy like Yoel is kind of like DC, in that he beats all except the champ - or did up until Eraser.

Nope. A gatekeeper is never the second best fighter in the division. A gatekeeper is a step below contender. They are stepping stones for other fighters to get a title shot.

Nope. A gatekeeper is never the second best fighter in the division. A gatekeeper is a step below contender. They are stepping stones for other fighters to get a title shot.
Then why does the offering list have guys like Yoel, Cerrone and Francis in there? I think its subjective to what you think is a 'gatekeeper' - a keep to the top 10,20, 5 or to weed out true title contenders.

Arlovski, in HW if you win some split decision over him you are automatically in top 10

Romero is like a perennial contender. Hard to call him a gatekeeper

Same thing for Rumble.

Jeremy Stephens, 31 UFC fights and never had a title fight.
Cerrone include his WEC resume and he has at least 5 title fights

Where is Roy Nelson ? Half of those guys fought for a title.

Where is Roy Nelson ? Half of those guys fought for a title.
Very under-rated choice

He would crush the Dave Herman and Matt Mitrones of the world but would lose to all the guys that eventually fought for the title (JDS, Lewis, Mir, Cormier, Overeem, Stipe)

isnt Sergio Pettis in Bellator now?

Then why does the offering list have guys like Yoel, Cerrone and Francis in there? I think its subjective to what you think is a 'gatekeeper' - a keep to the top 10,20, 5 or to weed out true title contenders.
Yoel usually opts to not fight for the title by missing weight. That’s a true gatekeeper in my book, refusing to win the title while controlling the gate for those that wish to fight for it.

Who put Ngannou on this list? Like wtf?

Dude has two losses in UFC and one was a title fight. Beat Blaydes, JDS and Cain in less than 3 minutes combined.

A gatekeeper is someone who isn’t a champion or has fought for the title, but beats everyone except those who fight for the title eventually. Best picks would be Stephens, Barboza, Brunson, Jacare

Jim Miller should be on this shit. Seems like every time I blink he either drops a couple or he turns back the clock with a nice finish

I think it's Barboza and i say that with the utmost respect.
He seems to beat anyone's ass who's not on the highest level, while also losing to the uppest echelon of fighters at 155.
Completely agree with this opinion. I voted for Barboza.

the GOAT gatekeeper is derek brunson and its not even close. The guy has only lost to the absolute cream of the crop.

A gate keeper is someone that "keeps the gate" for something. Ngannou has never been a gatekeeper, Diaz bros were not really gatekeepers, sergio pettis is not a gatekeeper, rumble was never a gatekeeper, blaydes isn't a gatekeeper. A gatekeeper is in that position for a period of time. Losing one fight to a guy who gets a title shot doesn't make someone a gatekeeper. You don't even put Brunson on the list when he is the GOAT.

If by definition a gatekeeper is someone who separates contenders from pretenders (beating him leads to title eliminator) n it’s not someone who was already a champ of fought for a title then:

Hw: there’s no real gatekeeper at hw. The closet would be Volkov but he only lost once in 8 fights.

lhw: blachowich n Anderson.

mw: Hermansson, Gastelum n Brunson

ww: no real gatekeeper. Mas is the closest, but he’s contender right now

lw: lee, Felder, hooker, Barboza

Fw: Emmett, Stephens

bw: assuanco, Munhoz, Rivera

flw: Formiga

brst best out of those is probably Barboza

Back