Biggest gatekeeper @ UFC ?

UFC GOAT Gatekeeper is

• Total voters
Nice. He's the unequivocal answer to the question imo. Literally everyone he beat in the UFC at MW did not go on to fight for the belt while everyone he lost to at MW (sans his most recent MW loss Herm) did go on to fight for the belt lol. Plus Jacare is probably the highest level fighter who could be considered a "gatekeeper"
Okami fought for the belt. But that is still a crazy feat. It's unfortunate Souza never got a title shot.

Nice. He's the unequivocal answer to the question imo. Literally everyone he beat in the UFC at MW did not go on to fight for the belt while everyone he lost to at MW (sans his most recent MW loss Herm) did go on to fight for the belt lol. Plus Jacare is probably the highest level fighter who could be considered a "gatekeeper"

He was more of a contender than your typical gatekeeper.

He was always top 5 n 1 win away from fighting for the title on numerous occasions

None of those dudes are gatekeepers.
A gatekeeper is fighter that if you lose to them, you get kicked out of the big leagues.
It's a guy that they brimg in just to test a fighter out or to hand someone a gimmie fight to build hype.

A true gatekeeper would be someone like Mostapha al-Turk or Jeremy Horn.

Jeremy Stephens to me is the baddest gatekeeper in all of ufc land He's the guy no one really wants to go thru but knows they must Chan Sung Jung should go through him but he may have lucked out in his quest

I feel like he's one big tool away from being a FW champ but its always going to keep him from being No 1 sadly

I picked Cerrone because he's got all the records. Clay is right on the fence though, he's beaten a lot of big names that Cerrone has lost too. Both are stellar gatekeepers regardless. It's mind boggling that they've still never fought each other.

maybe this oversight should be remedied.
i got 5 on it

Wtf does "biggest gatekeeper" even mean??? Best Gatekeeper? Largest gatekeeper? Best example of a gatekeeper? What is this thread about TS???

Lol depressing that Cerrone is the overwhelming favorite (recency bias and Conor hate is a big influence here). The dude is not a gatekeeper. Neither is Rumble, Jacare, Romero, Blaydes or Nick Diaz. Gatekeeper does not mean top contender that hasn't won a belt, it means fringe top 15 guy that people beat to get into the rankings.

Imo

1. Jeremy Stephens
2. Edson Barboza
3. Derek Brunson
4. Raphael Assuncao
5. Jussier Formiga
6. Roy Nelson
7. Cheick Kongo
8. Melvin Guillard
9. Brad Tavares
10. Cub Swanson

Lol depressing that Cerrone is the overwhelming favorite (recency bias and Conor hate is a big influence here). The dude is not a gatekeeper. Neither is Rumble, Jacare, Romero, Blaydes or Nick Diaz. Gatekeeper does not mean top contender that hasn't won a belt, it means fringe top 15 guy that people beat to get into the rankings.

There's levels of gatekeeping, there are the gatekeepers to the top 5 or so (Brunson) and then the gatekeepers to being ranked (historically probably someone like Struve is a good example)

There's levels of gatekeeping, there are the gatekeepers to the top 5 or so (Brunson) and then the gatekeepers to being ranked (historically probably someone like Struve is a good example)
I think Cerrone is bordering on gatekeeper status now that he's getting older and wearing down but the idea he was always one is ridiculous. Like to my point rumble only lost to the champ so how is that a gatekeeper? Same with Romero, aside from the controversial Costa fight his only losses in the UFC were close title fights. Brunson is a bit of a gatekeeper but he's not top 5.

Well anyways if Cerrone doesn't call it quits he's likely to be a gatekeeper very soon, he just beat a top 5 guy last year (Iaquinta) who was ranked #4 at the time. 8 fight win streak #2 ranked Cerrone coming off of wins over Miller, Alvarez, Barboza, Jury, Benson etc.. was still called a gatekeeper when he got a title shot... That isn't a gatekeeper lol

Definitely Stephens. Cowboy actually fought for a title at one point. Honourable mention to Uriah Hall.
You don't have to be a career gatekeeper to be a gatekeeper. Former champs can become gatekeepers. My problem is the idea that Cerrone is a career long gatekeeper, he's getting close to gatekeeper status now but he was a legit contender.

List too vast there're gatekeepers to each division, with that said Cerrone as to be one of the biggest gatekeepers ever the most UFC fight bonuses ever and never won a title..? Shows you can perform but just not when it counts.

No disrespect to t.s but I cant involve in poll cause theres only 4 ( maybe 5 ?) that qualify as a gatekeeper. Hell, at this point - MJ is underneath GK status.
Rumble ?? Ngannou?? Jacare ??Romero ???Blaydes ???

WTF ??

You could be right, but I guess its also a valid point that beating one of those guys gets you to a title fight, or at least one fight away?

blaydes, pretty sure by virtue of being a heavyweight he is bigger than the others.

You could be right, but I guess its also a valid point that beating one of those guys gets you to a title fight, or at least one fight away?
I think you're on with Cerrone , Sergio ( a bit young though and now with bmma?), Nate ,Hall and Clay...... with Jeremy and Edson at the proverbial doorstep. MJ, again, has regressed below gatekeeper status- just my opinion.

Why the fuck would you put Nick/Nate Diaz in one? Are they siamese twins or something? PS! Last I checked Nick wasn't an active fighter.

Back