Bigger danger: Muslim extremists or climate change?

no fat chicks

Worlds greatest poster
@Silver
Reaction score
Which do you feel we should be more afraid of? Which deserves more resources and attention?

Let's hear it sherdog

Both are inevitable. Well extremists and climate change. Who is considered extreme will constantly change.

I dont know I think one is kind of a short term problem and the other long. Both should be approached with caution and have the potential for catastrophe though. I would think the one would greatly affect the other as well. Dont droughts and climate change and water issues already have an impact on the shit holes of the earth that terrorists seem to come from ?

I am not saying if I agree or disagree with the article but some think that climate change had an influence on the arab spring.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/friedman-the-scary-hidden-stressor.html?_r=0
“The Arab Spring and Climate Change” doesn’t claim that climate change caused the recent wave of Arab revolutions, but, taken together, the essays make a strong case that the interplay between climate change, food prices (particularly wheat) and politics is a hidden stressor that helped to fuel the revolutions and will continue to make consolidating them into stable democracies much more difficult.

I live in Florida so for me its climate change.

But really they can make one another worse

Climate change can make storms stronger, cold spells longer and water supplies drier. But can it cause war? A new study published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says drought in Syria, exacerbated to record levels by global warming, pushed social unrest in that nation across a line into an open uprising in 2011. The conflict has since become a major civil war with international involvement.

Drying and drought in Syria from 2006 to 2011—the worst on record there—destroyed agriculture, causing many farm families to migrate to cities. The influx added to social stresses already created by refugees pouring in from the war in Iraq, explains Richard Seager, a climate scientist at Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory who co-authored the study. The drought also pushed up food prices, aggravating poverty. “We’re not saying the drought caused the war,” Seager said. “We’re saying that added to all the other stressors, it helped kick things over the threshold into open conflict. And a drought of that severity was made much more likely by the ongoing human-driven drying of that region.”

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/climate-change-hastened-the-syrian-war/

Food and water security in the region is abysmal. The Saudis even stopped their subsidies to their own farmers to focus on water security despite the poor state of food security. The migrant crisis we're seeing now in Europe could be only the beginning. Bangladesh is a country that is supposed to be hit hard by climate change in the future and tens of millions of that country's inhabitants might be displaced.

EDIT: @sqrl33 beat me to it

Climate change will be used as an excuse for more mass migrations into Europe and more Islamic extremism but that can just be cover for other things.

I am not saying if I agree or disagree with the article but some think that climate change had an influence on the arab spring.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/03/opinion/sunday/friedman-the-scary-hidden-stressor.html?_r=0

I think it's a stretch to pin it on 'the' climate change but dry weather could affect food. How to disentangle normal dry cycles from some greater climate change action?

Due to climate change politics though, I suspect a lot of things will be pinned on it.

Which do you feel we should be more afraid of? Which deserves more resources and attention?

Let's hear it sherdog
Islamic expansionism.
Climate change has always happened. The Climate is not sentient ; it does not consciously target us.

These are two things that are inevitable but a good way to impact both would be to address our energy needs to something more environmentally sustainable and to move away from oil that funds terrorist States.

Islam and Christianity are the biggest problem in this world. Well, religion in general, but these are by far the most destructive.

It's getting to be a little late in the game to be putting up with their bullshit, especially as technology keeps increasing. With these two religions, I'd be surprised if Humans are around in 100 more years.

Climate change by far.
The nations significantly threatened by Muslim extremists are those of the Middle East (and central Asia), where it amounts to civil war.
For the rest of the world it'll never be more of a threat than the instability of those nations, the geostrategic importance of the Middle East and terrorism.

Climate change has the ability to cause economic and food scarcity issues which will lead to instability on a much greater scale. The role of the drought in Syria has already been given as an example, and while that could have occurred regardless of climate change, climate change will make such events more frequent and more severe. These direct changes will impact a much larger percentage of the world.

Unlike muslim extremism though, climate change is a slow pressure cooker. It's not going to directly produce emotional headlines like 9/11 or IS. It's also harder to act against effectively or with easily touted results. It's no great mystery that muslim extremism has more resources dedicated towards it. After all terrorism relies on the fact that it can produce political results completely disproportionate to the actual threat.

Climate change by far.
The nations significantly threatened by Muslim extremists are those of the Middle East (and central Asia), where it amounts to civil war.
For the rest of the world it'll never be more of a threat than the instability of those nations, the geostrategic importance of the Middle East and terrorism.

Climate change has the ability to cause economic and food scarcity issues which will lead to instability on a much greater scale. The role of the drought in Syria has already been given as an example, and while that could have occurred regardless of climate change, climate change will make such events more frequent and more severe. These direct changes will impact a much larger percentage of the world.

Unlike muslim extremism though, climate change is a slow pressure cooker. It's not going to directly produce emotional headlines like 9/11 or IS. It's also harder to act against effectively or with easily touted results. It's no great mystery that muslim extremism has more resources dedicated towards it. After all terrorism relies on the fact that it can produce political results completely disproportionate to the actual threat.

Well said sir

Both are life threatening. Extremists are dangerous in the immediate future, climate change going to take longer period of time.

Radical Islam is really only a problem because of the "Radical Tolerance" of the left.

Is that a new term? If so, I'm coining it now. Feel free to use it.

Muslims are something one can't let live among one's own. That is culturally a basic survival requirement.

Climate change is something one can and does deal with and hasn't probably much to do with what people do. Not a big deal.

Islam and Christianity are the biggest problem in this world. Well, religion in general, but these are by far the most destructive.

It's getting to be a little late in the game to be putting up with their bullshit, especially as technology keeps increasing. With these two religions, I'd be surprised if Humans are around in 100 more years.

Get a grip. The 2 aren't even close to the same.

Islam by a thousand miles. Climate we will adapt to, worst some dumb lazy ignorant fucks will have to move.

It would only take one Islamist with a nuke on his back to kill a dozen million in a second. Takes only one of those retards to release a deadly virus that kills us or our crops and voila.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back