Better Takedowns All time.. Randleman...Couture... GSP... Jon Jones...

the Shogun/Jones fight doesn't say much about Jones.

It spoke volumes about Jones. Saying anything else is revisionist history. What was impressive about that fight was Jones' damage output standing, not the fact that he took Shogun down at will after scrambling his brain.

thanks for the spell check. i can't spell very well seriously. but i understand randlemans resume if u will for wrestling is better ,but in the octagon tito has better wrestling that was my point.

I'm not a great speller either. Consider using the google browser - it has a built in spell check.

Frankly, I attribute that to people being new and uneducated fans. Clearly:
Kerr
Coleman
Randleman

Are among the top 10 greatest wrestlers in MMA history.

i understand kerr , coleman, and randleman are great wrestlers i've seen it live believe me, but i just think the modern day fighters wrestling is much better than the UFC old timers like Kerr and Coleman. back then kerr and coleman were taking people down like nothing because alot of those guys they fought weren't even really trained in wrestling. now a days all fighters train wrestling so its harder to take them down. do u follow esa?

cain should be ahead of lesnar for sure.

Lesnar took Cain down twice in their fight before Cain took Lesnar down once. So if we're discussing strictly takedowns..besides that's a horrible time period to use as an example from Brock with having had diverticulitis TWICE. Lesnar healthy was a beast and if you want to compare their collegiate wrestling records, Cain never won the NCAA Division 1 Championship but Lesnar did and was also runner-up the prior year.

Still, I think early era Mark Coleman (up to and including his fight with Severn) is the most impressive. Nobody could stop Coleman's double legger then.

It spoke volumes about Jones. Saying anything else is revisionist history. What was impressive about that fight was Jones' damage output standing, not the fact that he took Shogun down at will after scrambling his brain.

I meant what it said about Jones in the narrow sense of his wrestling skill. The fight as a whole said a ton about Jones as an MMA fighter, I'm just not sure that's the fight to use as an example of his great (which is it) wrestling. He's basically the only guy to get a takedown on Machida - that says worlds more than a couple takedowns of Shogun.

Karo Parysian at one point had the most TD's in org history. He's gotta at least be honorable mention. I dontt think he ever failed to get someone down at least once in a fight, including GSP

You watched the GSP vs Karo fight?

I meant what it said about Jones in the narrow sense of his wrestling skill. The fight as a whole said a ton about Jones as an MMA fighter, I'm just not sure that's the fight to use as an example of his great (which is it) wrestling. He's basically the only guy to get a takedown on Machida - that says worlds more than a couple takedowns of Shogun.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you.

I agree with you. Taking a battered Shogun down isn't a huge feat. I think people like to be impressed with everything he did in the fight because it was such an impressive performance period.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you.

I agree with you. Taking a battered Shogun down isn't a huge feat. I think people like to be impressed with everything he did in the fight because it was such an impressive performance period.

Not problem at all. It's hard to tell the wheat from the chaff around here sometimes.

It was an incredibly impressive performance. I recently re-watched that fight, and he was really in control from start to finish. He looked like a guy with 20 fights under his belt, not a total novice.

jon-jones-shogun-takedown-ufc-128.gif

I think Jon was actually going for a standing arm triangle there. And if Shogun didn't catch him in half guard, it would have been over right there and then when they hit the ground.

I would probably place GSP at the top of the list.

You watched the GSP vs Karo fight?

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I had a memory of Karo getting top control from a sumo gaeishi, but looking into it it was a sweep when GSP had his back.

No list without Randleman is going to be very good. Randleman would have tossed Tito on his ass with ease.

Tito was simply not that good of a wrestler... Chuck and Randy (literally in the case of Randy) spanked him during his attempts.

I don't think anyone had a greater power double than Randleman did, or Koscheck and Chael do now(although Randleman had a bit of trouble with Cro Cop).

I don't think anyone has better takedowns from the clinch than Henderson or Jon Jones.

I don't think anyone has better timing on his shots than GSP.

Also, like other people have said, Fedor deserves to be mentioned.

1.)GSP
2.)Randy(prime)
3.)Tito(prime)
4.)Lesnar
5.)Koscheck
6.)Hughes(prime)
7.)Cain
8.)Edgar
9.)Chael
10.)Bones

No Weidman? He has better wrestling than Tito, Hughes, and Sonnen IMO or do they need to have a certain number of fights to be considered?

i was never impressed with randlemans wrestleing i know he is solid ,but everyone on my list i think has better MMA wrestleing. and if tito and randleman fought back around UFC 30-40, tito would win because thats when tito was not scared of chuck liddell and was great.

I thought the point of this thread was rating takedowns, not overall wrestling skills!

That was the thread title I read.

I am the biggest Randy nuthugger on this site, and LOVED Randy obliterating Randleman. With that said, Randleman took Couture down at will at the start of their fight before gassing.

No real comparison Kevin's TD > Randy's TD. Randy's everything else > The Monster's

For consistency over most attempts is have to think its gsp and not even close

no love for Rashad?

Coleman, Randleman, Kerr & Couture should make top 10's

GSP is #1, not a big fan but he takes everyone down almost at will

Back