Better Takedowns All time.. Randleman...Couture... GSP... Jon Jones...

Tito was simply not that good of a wrestler... Chuck and Randy (literally in the case of Randy) spanked him during his attempts.

I don't think anyone had a greater power double than Randleman did, or Koscheck and Chael do now(although Randleman had a bit of trouble with Cro Cop).

I don't think anyone has better takedowns from the clinch than Henderson or Jon Jones.

I don't think anyone has better timing on his shots than GSP.

Also, like other people have said, Fedor deserves to be mentioned.

" Tito was simply not that good of a wrestler. " :redface:

"KORUPT xLOxx" lets see your list then since the ones posted aren't to your standards

Eh, TDs might have been most of what was in Randlemans arsenal, but they were damn good...

I second that. Glad TS mentioned his name in this sentence. His speed, explosiveness and take downs were insane.

My list would be

1. Randleman
2. Coleman (Although he could be no.1)
3. GSP
4. Kerr
5. The Big Cat
6. Lindland
7. Kosh
8. Saku
9. Barnett
10. Couture

Any of the guys mentioned in this thread have a 7 minute highlight vid featuring only takedowns?

Gsp has the best takedowns in MMA. All timing baby

Anyone that doesn't have GSP as number 1 is crazy.

The fact that his take down percentage is over 78% and has the most take downs landed 75 for fighters with at least 5 UFC appearances would suggest that he is the number 1. Add that to his take down defense of 88% and you have the best MMA wrestler in the UFC past or present. Another note to make is he has maintained these numbers over 19 UFC fights is really quite remarkable.

Those numbers come from Fight Metric btw. Which just updated their records today.
http://www.fightmetric.com/ufcrecords.php

It's funny. GSP is listed as having the most Significant Strikes landed and Strikes landed in UFC history haha. I guess those 5 Round beatings really add up. lol

My list would be

1. Randleman
3. GSP
4. Kerr
5. The Big Cat
6. Lindland
7. Kosh
8. Saku
9. Barnett
10. Couture

Decent list though I don't really know how Randleman and Coleman are ranked higher than GSP.

GSP has the most TD's landed and with the best accuracy in UFC history. Though I can't find any stats on Randleman or Coleman I doubt they'd match up to GSP.

That list is terrible.. No Kerr.. NO coleman.. No randleman.. No erickson... Simple terrible. instead he has tito.. edgar.. cain... Lesnar... and you called it a great list.. Jesus some of you sherdoggers have no clue what you're talking about.

Interesting factoid....according to Gary Goodridge's book, both Ricco and Kerr had stipulations in their contract that they didn't have to fight Erikson. The man was huge....and not bloated up huge, but just a natural behemoth. That size and wrestling was tremendous.

Terrible music, but dude was an asskicker...

I think a lot of people forget to take into account the opposition's Takedown Defense. That said, I don't remember Jones ever wanting to take someone down and not doing it.

And that's the reason GSP should be #1 in any list. Nobody can resist his TD's, he will get any WW down, regardless of their wrestling skill.

Any of the guys mentioned in this thread have a 7 minute highlight vid featuring only takedowns?

Hughes actually has both a UFC and a non-UFC takedown highlight for a total of 7 minutes.

My list would be

1. Randleman
3. GSP
4. Kerr
5. The Big Cat
6. Lindland
7. Kosh
8. Saku
9. Barnett
10. Couture

I got to the bottom of page 2 of this thread before Coleman, Kerr or Randleman were even mentioned...

What the fuck, people?

I'd say Jones and GSP. GSP is more proven, but Jones has faced guys with better TDD like Machida, Rampage, Bader.

A higher %age of Jones' fights have cone against guys with good TDD IMO. I don't think GSP ever faced someone with the TDD of Machida. But, GSP would be a good choice for #1 as well.

As for those that think Jones' is too young to top the list, remember that many more fighters now have good TDD than back in the day.

Coleman and Randleman would be there too. Randy I'd rank somewhat lower - he was losing the wrestling to Randleman, but had more cardio and was the better overall fighter.

But takedowns alone, Coleman and Randleman were better than Randy.

Couture was washed up by that point. A younger Randy would have ragdolled Vera.

This is just not true

Karo Parysian at one point had the most TD's in org history. He's gotta at least be honorable mention. I dontt think he ever failed to get someone down at least once in a fight, including GSP

Karo never took GSP down!

Fedor should be mentioned.

13+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Heath+Herring_xvid_001.gif

randleman-suplexes-fedor.gif

Yes he should, but only to make Randleman the baddest ever.
(I love Fedor, really..best HW ever).

Decent list though I don't really know how Randleman and Coleman are ranked higher than GSP.

GSP has the most TD's landed and with the best accuracy in UFC history. Though I can't find any stats on Randleman or Coleman I doubt they'd match up to GSP.

Stat-wise they wouldn't, because they tried to force the issue a lot whereas GSP uses strikes and timing to set his TD's up a lot better.

But in terms of the mechanics and explosiveness that Randleman and Coleman had when in their respective athletic primes, (especially their power double) you could make the case for them being ahead of GSP.

randleman-suplexes-fedor.gif

Yes he should, but only to make Randleman the baddest ever.
(I love Fedor, really..best HW ever).

Randleman's takedowns were beautiful. No way around it. All that explosive power in one go. His technique was good, but his athleticism was on a different level entirely.

" Tito was simply not that good of a wrestler. " :redface:

When Tito was at D-1 he never was a full-time starter, he was a backup, and he gets dominated by wrestlers in MMA. His fight against Vlad was the only wrestler he beat, and Vlad was a late replacement for an injured Vitor. Which turned out to be an awful fight.

If he ever faced Randleman, Coleman, Henderson...even guys like Frye he would have been destroyed similarly to how he was against Randy and Chuck.

Back