Beterbiev vs Bivol June 1st in Saudi ESPN+

Who wins ?

• Total voters
god damn it june is too far away.

you guys know the gods hate us, someone will get injured or some dumb shit. this is too good of a fight to actually happen.

god damn it june is too far away.

you guys know the gods hate us, someone will get injured or some dumb shit. this is too good of a fight to actually happen.
I actually think it's earlier than it otherwise would've been. Without the Saudis the fight happens at the end of the year if it even happens at all. Injury is a real possibility. We know that Artur is very injury prone. He's had to pull out of fights many times over injuries sustained in training. Let's hope everything goes smooth for once. Boxing needs this fight.

I doubt it. It is true that Bivol has dragged this out for a while but Artur has looked great in 2 of his last 3 fights. He killed it against Joe Smith Jr. and in his last fight against Callum Smith. If Bivol wins he'll really have to earn it. Some fans don't realize just how dangerous Artur is but they will understand very soon.
Is there anyone still doubting Biev at this Point?

It's not that anyone picking Bivol is doubting Biev, it's just that neither Biev nor Bivol has shown us their ceiling as a pro so there's no way of knowing if one is considerably better than the other soley based on their other fights. Biev smashes everyone, and may do the same to Bivol, but it's not exactly like Bivol has ever been pushed before, even in some of his closer fights. Hell, Bivol dominated Canelo and he barely got out of first gear.

Like i said, maybe Biev destroys Bivol like everyone else, but i think this one could go either way depending on strategy.

It's not that anyone picking Bivol is doubting Biev, it's just that neither Biev nor Bivol has shown us their ceiling as a pro so there's no way of knowing if one is considerably better than the other soley based on their other fights. Biev smashes everyone, and may do the same to Bivol, but it's not exactly like Bivol has ever been pushed before, even in some of his closer fights. Hell, Bivol dominated Canelo and he barely got out of first gear.

Like i said, maybe Biev destroys Bivol like everyone else, but i think this one could go either way depending on strategy.
This is true, you never know how it will play out. But what i've noticed is people assuming that they've both fought equivalent level competition. Outside of Canelo Bivol's resume is very thin. I don't know how prepared he'd be for Artur who is much more proven at LHW. Artur has fought some of the biggest punchers (Smith Jr, Yarde) and the best boxers (Gvozdyk, Browne) that the division has to offer. His resume is just much better rounded in quality wise, you could argue that this upcoming fight is a bigger step up for Bivol than it is for Beterbiev.

Last edited:
To an extent fans will always doubt the puncher against the boxer because the boxer wins the majority of the time. However, Artur is more than just a big puncher. You don't become world champion in the amateurs and go to the Olympics twice if that's all you can do. He was actually a better amateur than Bivol was.

Bivol is the same guy he was in the amateurs. He even has the same amateur coach that he brought along with him when he turned pro. Artur is already very familiar with his style. On the other hand, Artur has incorporated some North American elements into his style (Eastern & Western influence). That will benefit him.

To an extent fans will always doubt the puncher against the boxer because the boxer wins the majority of the time. However, Artur is more than just a big puncher. You don't become world champion in the amateurs and go to the Olympics twice if that's all you can do. He was actually a better amateur than Bivol was.

Bivol is the same guy he was in the amateurs. He even has the same amateur coach that he brought along with him when he turned pro. Artur is already very familiar with his style. On the other hand, Artur has incorporated some North American elements into his style (Eastern & Western influence). That will benefit him.
Is there a nuance in style between what comes out of Montreal and say, NY? Or is it roughly the same thing?

Is there a nuance in style between what comes out of Montreal and say, NY? Or is it roughly the same thing?
Based on what I've seen I'd say that they're roughly the same. Artur also has John Scully as an assistant trainer. So he has Canadian influence from Marc Ramsay and American influence from Scully on top of his soviet boxing foundation.

Based on what I've seen I'd say that they're roughly the same. Artur also has John Scully as an assistant trainer. So he has Canadian influence from Marc Ramsay and American influence from Scully on top of his soviet boxing foundation.
Because I come from Montreal and if I am not mistaken, the biggest boxing club in montreal is the Centre Claude Robillard, which is state owned and runs olympic programms. So I was wondering if maybe boxers that train out of Montreal maybe have a different style than the typical American boxing gym which I suppose has a very pro-focus. Maybe I am talking completely out of my ass though.

Because I come from Montreal and if I am not mistaken, the biggest boxing club in montreal is the Centre Claude Robillard, which is state owned and runs olympic programms. So I was wondering if maybe boxers that train out of Montreal maybe have a different style than the typical American boxing gym which I suppose has a very pro-focus. Maybe I am talking completely out of my ass though.
You could be right but I wasn't even thinking so much about the amateurs. More about the pros that've come out of Montreal. Guys like Arturo Gatti, David Lemieux, the Grant brothers, Trevor Berbick, Adonis Stevenson and so on.

You could be right but I wasn't even thinking so much about the amateurs. More about the pros that've come out of Montreal. Guys like Arturo Gatti, David Lemieux, the Grant brothers, Trevor Berbick, Adonis Stevenson and so on.
And what would this style be, in yourview?

No, from what i understand North American amateur boxing is the same, Canadians and Americans generally have the same style, processes, and philosophies. Soviet is very different. I actually remember an interview in which Marc Ramsay discussed this (he was an amateur boxer).

No, from what i understand North American amateur boxing is the same, Canadians and Americans generally have the same style, processes, and philosophies. Soviet is very different. I actually remember an interview in which Marc Ramsay discussed this (he was an amateur boxer).
That's how I've always viewed the American & Canadian style. Practically the same. I'm sure there are some subtle differences but they're not distinct like you'd find when comparing the American style to the soviet style. We should be careful saying North American though because Mexico is also part of North America and they primarily produce pressure fighters/brawlers.

It's worth mentioning that Emanuel Steward once wanted to expand Kronk Gym into Montreal. He planned to call it Kronk North. Unfortunately he died soon after. He thought that his fighters would benefit from the trainers' knowledge over there.

“As leader of Detroit's Kronk Gym, Steward proposed creating a "Kronk North" in Montreal so that boxers could make use of both gyms and benefit from the tutelage of trainers in Michigan and Quebec. Michael Griffin was interested in the idea but it never came to fruition because Steward passed away the following year.”

Montreal's Vibrant Boxing Scene Doesn't Exist Anywhere Else in Canada

@Kovalev's "Man Bag" This fight is still not official. Don't know about you but i get the feeling it won't happen on June 1 lol. My gut tells me October.

This is another one of those fights where until they touch gloves in the ring, we shouldn't get too excited, regardless of the date. Call me negative, but the boxing gods have a habit of denying us the fights we want.

Back