RBR ***Official*** Sherdog Sanctioned Beterbiev vs C. Smith 10 PM ET 1/13 ESPN / ESPN+

Winner?

• Beterbiev

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Smith

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kowboy On Sherdog

Once Upon a Time in The UFC
Staff member
Sherdog.com Staff
Reaction score
20240113_BeterbievSmith_Announcement_16x9.png

A fight between light heavyweight champions Artur Beterbiev and Dmitry Bivol sits near the top of every boxing fan's 2024 wishlist. If that undisputed championship bout is to come together, Beterbiev needs to take care of business on Saturday when he faces Calum Smith.

As his record indicates, Beterbiev (19-0, 19 KO) has been one of the most dominant fighters of the current era, blasting through opponent after opponent while collecting the IBF, WBC and WBO world championships at 175 pounds.

For many, it is believed that the only true threats to Beterbiev's dominance are undefeated WBA champion Bivol and Father Time. At 38 years old, there's only so much time left before time catches up to Beterbiev and causes his skills to fall off a cliff. It's unpredictable when that moment will come for any elite athlete, but it will come.

Some believe that signs of decline were showing in Beterbiev's most recent outing. In January 2023, Beterbiev took on Anthony Yarde and was pushed hard in several moments and was down on two of the three official scorecards. Even so, Beterbiev only took until Round 8 before stopping Yarde.

Viewing information​

• Date: Jan. 13
  • Start time: 10 p.m. ET
  • How to watch: ESPN/ESPN+

Beterbiev vs. Smith fight card, odds​

FAVORITEUNDERDOGWEIGHT CLASS
Artur Beterbiev (c) -400Callum Smith +300IBF, WBO, WBC light heavyweight titles
Christian Mbilli -1000Rohan Murdock +650Super middleweight
Jason Moloney (c) -350Saul Sanchez +275WBO bantamweight title

beterbiev-smith-weighins.jpg

voted smith as I think he has a decent chance of the upset, but only if Arthur’s slipping?

Last edited:
Would be nice to see a big upset. Not a huge fan of either fighter so the unexpected would be a treat.

voted smith as I think he has a decent chance of the upset, but only if Arthur’s slipping?
Its possible. We often see boxers start to slip at his age, especially punchers. He didn't look that great against Yarde, Yarde was catching him with a lot of counter hooks and Callum Smith may not be great but he is a snappy counter puncher.
Problem for Smith is he's a take and give fighter. He reacts to the opponents offense. It has worked somewhat for some Beterbiev opponents but only for a few rounds. Beterbiev is surely the bigger puncher and seems to take a shot pretty well. It'll probably be a shootout for a few rounds with Smith crumbling after too many exchanges.

Wanted to vote Beterbiev in the poll, but in his absence i voted for Beterniev.

I think the Russian takes this, but the taste of unpredictability is in the air. Excited.

Would be nice to see a big upset. Not a huge fan of either fighter so the unexpected would be a treat.

Even if you aint a fan -wouldnt you at least wanna see Bivol vs Biev finally take place - granted you at least a fan of Bivols skillset up such a dominating hard hitter

Even if you aint a fan -wouldnt you at least wanna see Bivol vs Biev finally take place - granted you at least a fan of Bivols skillset up such a dominating hard hitter
There's other possible story lines if that fails. Imagine if Smith upset Beterbiev and beat Bivol later in the year.

Its possible. We often see boxers start to slip at his age, especially punchers. He didn't look that great against Yarde, Yarde was catching him with a lot of counter hooks and Callum Smith may not be great but he is a snappy counter puncher.
Problem for Smith is he's a take and give fighter. He reacts to the opponents offense. It has worked somewhat for some Beterbiev opponents but only for a few rounds. Beterbiev is surely the bigger puncher and seems to take a shot pretty well. It'll probably be a shootout for a few rounds with Smith crumbling after too many exchanges.

Very good points, and I do think beterbiev has slipped a little based on the yarde performance. Whether it’s enough for smith to pull the upset, we’ll find out tonight.
I’ve heard fans saying smith should just goes ball to the wall and try to take beterbiev out, but you’ve highlighted exactly why this is unlikely. He has the power to hurt beterbiev but being wreckless is only gonna end up getting himself ko’d

Beterbiev should win but didn't look so great against Yarde. He's getting up there as well in age. Plus Beterbiev has zero head movement and just barges forward like a tank, which can work but has its downsides.

Smith has great KO power but he didn't look great against Canelo and a similar outcome could happen here if he can't KO Beterbiev.

I think it will be an enormous firefight -- if Callum can't put Beterbiev away with a well timed shot -- Beterbiev will overwhelm him and break him eventually as he tends to do.

In summary, if Smith doesn't find a way to win, he will LOSE -- so that's my bold prediction on this one. =)

Last edited:
Dam was hoping for like a UK/European early start time....
Seeing this is going to cut into my Saturday night to watch a potential one sided mismatch.
Didn't realize it was in North America/Canada......

Dam was hoping for like a UK/European early start time....
Seeing this is going to cut into my Saturday night to watch a potential one sided mismatch.
Didn't realize it was in North America/Canada......
I'm watching the Chiefs vs Dolphins @ 8 PM Eastern on Peacock. First playoffs game. By the time it's over the main event will be coming up. Depending on how tired I am I just might catch the highlights instead. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a blowout.

Back