Betch: "I'm going to go in there and box with her". LOL.

Iron sharpens Iron.

The females get to train with men, they get to train with much bigger and stronger opponents therefore they will improve faster. That's partly why the lighter male weight-classes have evolved much faster than HW or LHW has.

That's why Jon and Brock were able to find success at a faster rate. TJ was still able to take the 135lb UFC belt after 4 years of fighting pro.

There are advantages that come from competition also. It doesn't necessarily make everything harder, not for the great athletes like Jon, Ronda, and Brock.

Jones was fighting for less than 3 years when he won the LHW belt.

It took Brock 18 months of fighting pro to become UFC champ.

In both cases they had athletic backgrounds but most of their competitors had much better backgrounds for mma. Average training time isn't always as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Agreed, it isn't always everything, but that's partly my point. Some people are naturals. Ronda is one of them. WMMA is not big enough and hasn't been around long enough to attract very many, not to mention that women in general are less likely to pursue these things even when they are naturals.

Either way, as I said, depth of competition is a big factor, and depth of competition is determined by the number of competitors and the quality of competition, which are both clearly still behind the men. It has been catching up but will never be quite what the mens is due to simple social tendencies of men to pursue sports (specifically combat sports) in much larger numbers than women.

Keep in mind that even mens MMA is in a state of infancy and not yet attracting many of the worlds best athletes, so when some do show up they skip the line so to speak. Women's MMA is just a further example of the same.

Why would you not jab out? That is clearly the best idea, probably won't work for Bethe but that doesn't mean someone couldn't strike, angle, strike, angle you know?

Did you expect her to say she would beat her in a grappling match.

I always find it inexcusable when a brazilian lacks proficiency in BJJ. Come on people, it's your national pride. This fight would be much more interesting if she was a black belt.

i think the last 2 black belts she faced, she beat the fastest (alexis davis, cat zingano) lol

yeah i kinda expect her to be more well-versed in bjj, at least a brown belt if you're going up against the best (female) grappler (in UFC)

i think the last 2 black belts she faced, she beat the fastest (alexis davis, cat zingano) lol

yeah i kinda expect her to be more well-versed in bjj, at least a brown belt if you're going up against the best (female) grappler (in UFC)

Just having a black belt alone doesn't mean anything.

I agree on the main points of your post. However when talking about Ishii and why he (and other judokas) cant do what Ronda can when transitioning to MMA I think you are forgetting the single most important factor: depth of talent
WMMA is infantile. These women were housewives, nannies and secretaries 4 years ago. Ronda is one of the few exceptions who has trained lifelong.

you sir, nailed it!

Well, going in there using pivots and footwork to keep Ronda working hard for the clinch, being competent enough to survive once she gets there, and using technical boxing to continously damage her = Is probably the best way to beat Ronda.

I'd love to hear your take on it though, so far in every thread all you've said is "bahah, Queen R is too talented for your simplistic, human tactics!!" You sound like a zealous minion.

We can agree that Bethes aggressive, unskilled bullrush-boxing is just going to get her thrown and finished, but if she was skilled enough, obviously that's where she'd need to get the win.

Want to see something funnier than Bethe not being able to drop Shayna after throwing 384932493242 punches?

Someone go make a GIF of 31:37 to 31:42 of this video - pretty please (Bethe managed to throw even more comical punches in a controlled environment LOL):

[YT]PRQMoayLs4E[/YT]

EDIT: Thanks, Jblizzle:

Sick punches.

Miesha is a lifelong athlete that was wrestling against men in high school. Sara McMann is another lifelong athlete that honed her craft to the point of reaching the Olympics and medaling. Davis wrestled in high school and has been practicing BJJ since she was 18 and had fought 22 times before crossing paths with Ronda.

I'm not saying Ronda's competition is equivalent to this or that person's (though Ishi does fight at HW, and non-UFC HW at that, which is an appalling weight class), but the opposite extreme that she "just fought housewives, nannies and secretaries" is just as ridiculous.

has some logic surfaced in a wmma discussion thread?

Better than "I'm gonna go in there and grapple with her"
Yeah. TS, it's clear you are actually the delusional one. Any moron can criticize the game plan of a -1500 underdog. But in this case Bethe correctly identified that she needs to stay away from grappling and make this a boxing match if possible. If you're whining about this, it's only because you're a whiner.

you sir, nailed it!

Except he didn't. Bethe is the only fighter Ronda has fought that wasn't in some sort of combat sport 4 years ago. Even Dana acknowledges that Bethe's title shot is built on bad blood, talk, and timing rather than her career wins.

Cat- fighting since '08, decorated grappler.
Davis- fighting since '07, 2 black belts, 20+ mma fights
McMann- fighting since '11, wrestling for 20 years
Tate-- fighting since 07, wrestling/grappling 10+ years
Liz- fighting since '10, 5 years in USMC with 3 tours of the middle East
Kaufman- fighting since '06
Budd- fighting since '10, racked up a 10-2 kickboxing record prior including giving Carano her only Muay Thai loss

Except he didn't. Bethe is the only fighter Ronda has fought that wasn't in some sort of combat sport 4 years ago. Even Dana acknowledges that Bethe's title shot is built on bad blood, talk, and timing rather than her career wins.

Cat- fighting since '08, decorated grappler.
Davis- fighting since '07, 2 black belts, 20+ mma fights
McMann- fighting since '11, wrestling for 20 years
Tate-- fighting since 07, wrestling/grappling 10+ years
Liz- fighting since '10, 5 years in USMC with 3 tours of the middle East
Kaufman- fighting since '06
Budd- fighting since '10, racked up a 10-2 kickboxing record prior including giving Carano her only Muay Thai loss
Let's stop pretending that level of experience makes any real difference against Rousey. This is why a fight against Zingano is basically the same as a fight against Bethe. I hate to use the prime Tyson comparison, but the same thing applied there. The outcome is not changing regardless of who she is facing. So why whine and bitch about the competition as if it matters.

Let's stop pretending that level of experience makes any real difference against Rousey. This is why a fight against Zingano is basically the same as a fight against Bethe. I hate to use the prime Tyson comparison, but the same thing applied there. The outcome is not changing regardless of who she is facing. So why whine and bitch about the competition as if it matters.

He was merely correcting the post about these women being housewives, nannies and secretaries 4 years ago, which he was right about (it being BS). And obviously experience matters but not when you have no talent to begin with. Cody McKenzie could train kickboxing on the highest level for 20 years and still would not be able to KO a toddler.

Same with these women, they all lack any sort of high level fighting talent, they have zero fight IQ, no coordination and terrible ground and stand up games. Rousey is extremely one-dimensional, but is extremely good at that one-dimension so as long as the division is sheit she will continue to win her fights within 20 seconds

I just hope she doesn't rush Ronda. I highly doubt she lasts long, but she'll be gone in like 20 seconds if she tried to run at her too.

Doesn't matter Ronda kills her.

Jesus she even looks terrible hitting a heavybag. Gives me unrealistic hopes I can be a champion!

Back