Betch: "I'm going to go in there and box with her". LOL.

So its the old "Knock them out or lose" game plan? Sound like we'll have a new champ soon. At this point what we are seeing is a professional shitting on amateurs. I'm not gonna sit here and say that a shit load of movement and simple straight punching is going to be enough to beat rowdy but come on. The plan is to box with her? Is Honda just supposed to give up her bread and butter because your plan is to box? Boxers clinch at a rate that should be very fucking alarming to anyone who thinks they are just going to out box Rousey. This fight was over when it was announced.

I disagree with you. It is one of the most ignorant comments I have ever read on Sherdog. Pretty sad opinion.

See my last comment. It isn't opinion. It's fact. Depth of competition is determined by number of competitors and quality of competition. Number of competitors isn't even close. You can debate quality all you want, but the fact is that the pros in WMMA have on average trained less time than their male counterparts and when it comes to those at the top of the rankings the men are also more likely to have a background in combat sports prior to MMA. This shouldn't even need explaining but there are so damn many white knights up in here.

No need to think Sherbros, let your imagination rule your version of reality.

How interesting given that what I said was not an opinion but a fact. Of course you could be mistakenly thinking I was specifically talking about the women Ronda has faced in the UFC, which I already addressed... or you could mistakenly be taking "nannies, housewives and secretaries" literally in which case I'll dumb it down for you in case you don't understand figurative speaking. WMMA is still largely composed of women who were either homemakers or in careers that did not revolve around athletic competition 4 years ago. There are still far less females in MMA at 135 than there are males. Both of these facts are impossible to factually dispute and both of them contribute to WMMA having a far smaller depth of competition. Period.

Uh no, you are wrong. This is without a doubt one of the most ignorant things I've seen typed or shared on Sherdog. There are so many of the 135 females that were fighting BEFORE Ronda joined the UFC yet you lump them in with your ignorant statement. You should read a bit before you share drivel like this. Sure Correia has only fought for about 3 years but others were fighting and competing both in MMA and other sports before your magical 4 year period.

Zingano, Davis, Tate, Ronda, Waterson (not 135 but still fighting longer than "4" years), Roxanne Modafferi, (Joanna Jedrzejczyk has only fought for 3 years but was fighting before that. Not in MMA) - not only is your assertion sexist and ignorant but you are incorrect simply to prove a point. There are too many names to prove you wrong. Look them up yourself.

That usually means you have zero argument and should go back and rethink your life, your opinions and MMA in general and whether you are cut out to be a fan. Anyways there are many others. Which one can you cite that was a secretary, nannie, etcetera? I doubt you can cite any honestly. The point is they were competing in other arenas of combat aside from MMA so they aren't just nannies that decided to give MMA a go.

P.S. before you share "facts" go look up a few and I'll (maybe) apologize IF you can cite ANY professional female fighter that only started 4 years ago. In ANY combat arts. Davis, Tate, Zingano, Nunes, Bazler even were competing in other things than MMA, BJJ tourneys, Karate, Judo, the list is extensive.

Ronda's punching isn't any better.

Lolwut?

ufc-175-rr-punchwatermarked.gif

You're kidding, right?

id say fuck it--other blue prints to beat her havent worked. gsp her to victory.

Bet the house on Ronda and make an easy few hundred bucks.

bla bla bla bla since your real argument was too hard to address I made up in my head the argument I wished you had made... and I DESTROYED it!! (paraphrased)

Did you really just name drop a few that have been competing for longer than 4 years as if it proves me wrong? I don't recall saying none of them have been competing for longer than 4 years. You are practically limiting your list to the top 10 and all UFC. Nevermind that the top 10 clearly has been fighting much longer than the average competitor. Stupid nonsense.

You say I "lumped them in". So I guess by saying the majority of men are not UFC fighters Im "lumping UFC fighters in" and saying they arent in the UFC? You cant even follow a simple logical process.

I'll (maybe) apologize IF you can cite ANY professional female fighter that only started 4 years ago. In ANY combat arts.

Here are a few, just within the UFC. There are more, as I just skimmed the surface. Keep in mind, these are ALL within the UFC. If I looked at all those non-wiki page having pro WMMA fighters how many do you think Id find? Easily a couple hundred. There is 6 just on Bethe's massive 9 fights. Find me "ANY professional WMMA fighter"... LOL

Bec Rawlings
Paige VanZant
Kailin Curran
Randa Markos
Larissa Pacheco
Jessica Andrade
Raquel Pennington
EDIT: Bethe Correia. Thanks for mentioning her, since I didn't do anywhere near a complete search of the UFC and failed to think of her.

The fact that you keep putting up a straw man as if I said that none of them were competing more than 4 years ago is a testament to your complete lack of a real argument. I have not put any words in your mouth or assumed you were making an argument that you were not... you did that to me. Rather than even attempt to argue the tenure of the average WMMA competitor you simply pointed out the exceptions... those at the highest level, those whose names we are familiar with. For every pro WMMA fighter whose name the average Sherdogger knows there are 10, 20... who knows, maybe 100 (probably an exaggeration) that we dont!

Ill say it again, the majority of women in MMA AREN'T IN THE UFC.... and they have not had extensive MMA or combat sport experience. Most of them dont even have a fucking wiki page. The same could also be true to a lesser extent with men (as many of them are recent competitors, too), but you completely neglected another facet of my argument: The number of female competitors at the flagship weight class of 135 is still way less than the men in almost any weight class! This is because the depth of competition is just plain more shallow and that is not sexist, its a fucking fact. Is it also sexist to say that women on average cant deadlift what a man can? How about that the female weightlifting records are lower than mens? Is that sexist? No, those are facts, too. Just because you don't like something said about women doesn't make it sexist.

Apology yet? No? Thats OK, since your argument wasn't honest I didn't expect you to be either.

Last edited:
I think she has tried to sucker Ronda into standing. We will see if it worked..

It's a form of figurative language called hyperbole, dude. He's not being literal. :rolleyes:

I'm aware, smart guy. I wasn't being literal either, just illustrating that the notion that Ronda was facing weekend warriors instead of Olympians and long-time martial artists was wrong.

Miesha is a lifelong athlete that was wrestling against men in high school. Sara McMann is another lifelong athlete that honed her craft to the point of reaching the Olympics and medaling. Davis wrestled in high school and has been practicing BJJ since she was 18 and had fought 22 times before crossing paths with Ronda.

I'm not saying Ronda's competition is equivalent to this or that person's (though Ishi does fight at HW, and non-UFC HW at that, which is an appalling weight class), but the opposite extreme that she "just fought housewives, nannies and secretaries" is just as ridiculous.

Being trained by an Olympian since the day you were born is a much better start then being trained by highschool wrestling coaches probably a decade or so after Ronda being introduced to Judo.

Most of WBW are everyday athletic women trying to be fighters.

Ronda is one of the few lifelong athletes at WBW

Ive never been more confident Ronda will win a fight more than this one.

Betch has some of the slowest hands I've ever seen...Good luck with that shit.

See my last comment. It isn't opinion. It's fact. Depth of competition is determined by number of competitors and quality of competition. Number of competitors isn't even close. You can debate quality all you want, but the fact is that the pros in WMMA have on average trained less time than their male counterparts and when it comes to those at the top of the rankings the men are also more likely to have a background in combat sports prior to MMA. This shouldn't even need explaining but there are so damn many white knights up in here.

No need to think Sherbros, let your imagination rule your version of reality.

Jones was fighting for less than 3 years when he won the LHW belt.

It took Brock 18 months of fighting pro to become UFC champ.

In both cases they had athletic backgrounds but most of their competitors had much better backgrounds for mma. Average training time isn't always as big of a deal as you're making it out to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back