• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best submission artist in UFC history by division

Shay Brennan

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
HW: Fabricio Werdum / Frank Mir / Aleksei Oleinik
LHW: Glover Teixiera / Paul Craig
MW: Demian Maia / Rodolfo Vieira / Jacare Souza
WW: Demian Maia / Gunnar Nelson
LW: Charles Oliveira / Beneil Dariush
FW: Brian Ortega / Charles Oliveira / Ryan Hall
BW: Rani Yahya / Urijah Faber
FLW: DJ / Pantoja

W BW: Ronda Rousey
W FLW: Gillian Robertson
SW: Mackenzie Dern

Do you agree? If not then what is your list

I think Jones deserves a mention @ LHW

Submitting BJJ blackbelt Vitor Belfort
1716818098181.png

VqjQ53.gif

1716818200977.png

1716818274904.png

Really weird list. If it's submission artists "IN UFC" why would Rodolfo Viera be on any list? Dude doesn't qualify. Might as well put Magalhaes on the 205 list. I wouldn't have Paul Craig either, he's a low level fighter, similarly with Ryan Hall. Just a weird list, I'd never to give time to think of all the best submission artists in each weight histprically for a bit to come up with one.

Rousimar Palhares :)

If he just controled him lethal weapon, I think the man can actually be beating a lot more in UFC.

Really weird list. If it's submission artists "IN UFC" why would Rodolfo Viera be on any list? Dude doesn't qualify. Might as well put Magalhaes on the 205 list. I wouldn't have Paul Craig either, he's a low level fighter, similarly with Ryan Hall. Just a weird list, I'd never to give time to think of all the best submission artists in each weight histprically for a bit to come up with one.
Funny enough magalhaes was the first guy to pop into my head at lhw

I feel like Rockhold deserves a mention. He didnt need to take guys down but in his prime rolling with him was almost a death sentence.

Aleksei Oleinik over someone like Big Nog??

If it's submission artists "IN UFC" why would Rodolfo Viera be on any list? Dude doesn't qualify.

Agreed that it is a bit of an odd list, however, Viera isn't entirely devoid of merit for this list as he's 100% 5 subs in his 5 UFC wins. Not a goat in anyway based off the level of fighters he's faced, but I would agree with TS to the extent that he's definitely worthy of the title "submission artist" at this point in his career

If we are talking quantity of subs, how did TS forget Nate Diaz, Gerald Meerschaert, Royce Gracie, Jim Miller?

If we are talking just sheer quality subs by way of opponent level and/or technical ability, Khabib and Korean Zombie come to mind over a one dimensional gimmicky fighter like Ryan Hall who only has 1 submission win over 40 yr old BJ

I wouldn't have Paul Craig either, he's a low level fighter,
I would agree Paul Craig is low level but has some quality wins by triangle choke over two top 10 LHWs in Ankalaev and Krylov and has 6 wins by sub overall in the UFC

The Boa Constrictor, and Gillian The Savage are easily my favourite sub artists.

In the 48 subs of Aleksei, there are many different kinds. Not just an armbar like Ronda. I counted once, and I think he had 10 different subs. That’s pretty crazy.

And Canadian girls kick ass.. War Gillian.

Back