Best GnP ever: Jones, Cain, Khabib, Fedor?

ufc-stipe-vs-overeem.gif
These are arm punches but very accurate

Probably forgetting some good ones but here is a rough draft off the dome:

1. Khabib Nurmagomedov
2. Mark Coleman
3. Randy Couture
4. Fedor Emelianenko
5. Kevin Randleman
6. Rampage Jackson
7. Heath Herring
8. Cain Velasquez
9. Brock Lesnar
10. Jon Jones
11. Tito Ortiz
12. Alistair Overeem
13. Matt Hughes
14. Shogun Rua
15. Luke Rockhold
16. Mark Kerr
17. Gary Goodridge

3 strikers who usually weren't looking for the takedown but once they got on top they did massive damage and could finish someone within seconds:

Mirko Cro Cop
Anderson Silva
Wanderlei Silva
Great list brother, absoutley brilliant. Agreed with the list... you know I always thought Overeem had amazing ground 'n' pound, it is really underrated, not talked about a lot. But once he got on top it was over always, he would always finish, he had savage ground 'n' pound. He is known mostly for his striking, but if you all go back and look at the times when he was on top in his fights, he has excellent ground 'n' pound and it with so much force.

Khabib fought far and away the best competition so he wins. That guy Coleman is pounding on (btw knees to the head are not GNP) is some dude who has never wrestled in his life. Cain was accused of using PEDs by a few fighters and I will just believe them, so he's out. Fedor was using PEDs (like everyone in Pride) and fighting against lots of gimmicks so he's out (when Fedor fought real competition in the USA he rarely wrestled them).
Jones probably has the most dangerous but he's stopped utilizing that style and now relies mostly on point fighting style striking from a distance aside from his most recent fight, which was too easy.
When considering the full body of work, Khabib not only has the best ground and pound, but is also arguably the greatest fighter of all time.

its weird how similar Fedor and stipe look throwing those GnP punches
Fedor had insane hips. its a big difference there. Honestly he threw so much into those punches he kept breaking his hands.

Prime Jones, if he got you down a hellish beating would surely follow.

Fedor is not far off though, but Jones didn't even need to land volume. All Jon needed was one or two elbows to break through and it was the beginning of the end.

True. I think Fedor's was better.

But Cain had really good GNP also. Remember how he overwhelmed Ben Rothwell, how he hit Brock when Brock was down, what he did to Bigfoot and JDS who are both Brazilian BJJ black belts.

Some people said Cain had pillow fists but I think he just didn't put 100% into every shot like Fedor and Khabib and Hendo usually did. Cain would overwhelm with volume, had the wrestling to break you down once you stood up and I also really liked how he would go to Knee On Belly and punch from there. He also had the cardio to punch all day. Definitely one of the best GNP artists

I forgot about Bigfoot but JDS at no point ever used grappling in his mma career. That's a fake black belt if I ever saw one. He wanted nothing to do with Big Nog or Werdum on the ground.

Jones and Cain are the people I would least like to be gnp'd by. So them

Jones when he legitimately doesn't like his opponent and smells blood is horrifying. His long ahh arms make it hard for him to generate true KO power standing but on the ground...
Yeah hes great w the elbows.

Prime Jones, if he got you down a hellish beating would surely follow.

Fedor is not far off though, but Jones didn't even need to land volume. All Jon needed was one or two elbows to break through and it was the beginning of the end.

Without elbows Jones GnP isn't that impressive. What Fedor did from Nogs guard was much more impressive and something Jones woudlnt be able to do with those pillow fists of his.

Without elbows Jones GnP isn't that impressive. What Fedor did from Nogs guard was much more impressive and something Jones woudlnt be able to do with those pillow fists of his.

The most impressive GNP you've ever seen is GNP that didn't even finish the opponent?

<YeahOKJen>

BTW Jones finished at least Chael, DC, and Gus with punches. He doesn't need just elbows to generate insane damage with his GNP.

The most impressive GNP you've ever seen is GNP that didn't even finish the opponent?

<YeahOKJen>

BTW Jones finished at least Chael, DC, and Gus with punches. He doesn't need just elbows to generate insane damage with his GNP.

DC was already 90% knocked out
Gus was washed up as hell
Chael? Lol

An objective person doesnt need to see a finish against prime Nog to recognize the speed and power of a GnP shot. You seem eager to discredit Fedor and fanboy for Jon.

Anyone who saw Fedors GnP against Nog and Herring knows Jones can't hit like that on the ground without elbows. It's not even close.

This isn't a disrespect to Jon but the man has pillow fists which is why he's never scored a standing KO with his hands and never will and that's with all the steroids he takes.

DC was already 90% knocked out
Gus was washed up as hell
Chael? Lol

An objective person doesnt need to see a finish against prime Nog to recognize the speed and power of a GnP shot. You seem eager to discredit Fedor and fanboy for Jon.

Anyone who saw Fedors GnP against Nog and Herring knows Jones can't hit like that on the ground without elbows. It's not even close.

This isn't a disrespect to Jon but the man has pillow fists which is why he's never scored a standing KO with his hands and never will and that's with all the steroids he takes.

Wow sure is convenient that you want us to judge the GNP itself for Fedor, but when it comes to Jones GNP you want us to instead judge the fighter he was hitting instead.

It's almost like you're full of shit when you're trying to say you're being objective.

Wow sure is convenient that you want us to judge the GNP itself for Fedor, but when it comes to Jones GNP you want us to instead judge the fighter he was hitting instead.

It's almost like you're full of shit when you're trying to say you're being objective.

I already said that Jones has great GnP when you account elbows. But to me anyone can throw a hard elbow. Punching GnP requires far more torque and technique and anyone who has watched Fedor GnP can recognize Jones simply doesn't hit anything close to that on the ground with his hands.

Last edited:
All of those fighters listed are/were particularly good at that aspect of MMA. It's difficult to choose one of them as the best. Maybe I'd choose Cain as it was so central to his gameplan.

Jarl

Who had best GnP ever at their peaks in MMA?

Some names: Cain, Fedor, Jones, Khabib, Chimaev... maybe some other fighers?
Khabib's ground and pound was quite rare and ineffective. For someone who frequently used the word "smash," he sure wasn't very good at it. Out of the people you listed, I'd say Jon was the most creative one but I'd attribute that to his reach.

If you are asking about what was the most ruthless and vicious ground and pound that I've ever seen, that goes to Stipe on Overeem. He literally dribbled Overeem's head on to the canvas. Khabib, Cain, Fedor or Jones had nothing on that ground and pound. Not even close.

Back