Best GnP ever: Jones, Cain, Khabib, Fedor?

Once Anderson Silva get on top of you, its over. Did not happened often, but the rare time he got in that position, if finished it with 2-3 strikes

Exactly. Too bad he rarely went for takedowns

But when he was on top of someone ... devasting GNP followed with no wasted motion

Ill add that i dont think comparing striking and grappling is a fair comparison.

Striking is with everyone in a neutral stance ....both standing.

On the ground for GNP ... we are talking about someone on top vs someone on the bottom.

Advantagous position vs defensive position for the most part.

Khabib with his insane takedown rate per match and insane top control was in an advantagous position so often and yet ... didnt manage to finish his opponents enough times despite those facts.

That is why for me its hard to believe that his GNP was an all time top 3 or 10 in the game.

I know Khabib can take me down and control me but if i had to start a match on the bottom, i rather be facing Khabibs top game than Jones or even Anderson Silvas for example. Their GNP is just far more effective at landing devasting blows to TKO you or open you up for a sub.
I just disagree based on how all their fights went. Khabib has 17 finishes where he either got GnP tkos or opened the sub with GnP exactly like you said. What you're describing is what he does. Jon has had a bunch of fights where could not secure a finish with GnP and didn't open up chances to submit. I'm not understanding where your line in the sand is.

If you or I were under Khabib, we'd get pounder on until we were finished or gave him a chance to jump on our necks. That's what he does.

I think you are confusing his insane ground control for his gnp.

Give Khabib Jon Jones' gnp ... he would have finished over 90% of his fights.

Only reason Jones doesnt have 90% finish rate is because he many times doesnt even go for takedowns or has been stopped from getting a takedown unlike Khabib.

But once you are down against Jones, you are doomed.

Being under Khabib will be exhausting but you will most likely survive.

Khabibs GNP is NOT an all time great.
His control is.
No I'm referring specifically to his GnP. He uses GnP to specifically force his opponents into worse positions where they are easier to finish. He'll punch and elbow and hammer fist until he sees what he wants and then he'll switch to submissions

Also, many of the fights Jon hasn't finished...have been fights where he's used the most GnP.

No I'm referring specifically to his GnP. He uses GnP to specifically force his opponents into worse positions where they are easier to finish. He'll punch and elbow and hammer fist until he sees what he wants and then he'll switch to submissions

Also, many of the fights Jon hasn't finished...have been fights where he's used the most GnP.

Which fights would that be? Name a few.

Bonner, Smith, and OSP immediately come to mind

Good picks and i believe i can explain all three.

1) Bonnar got destroyed but not finished. This was very young Jones. Maybe even ore PEDs Joned or pre Jackson/Wink. Maybe someone can confirm. Either way this looked as good as Khabibs non finishes. Much better than say Khabib vs Tibau for a good comparison of young star vs solid vet.

2) Smith ... this was post USADA , post suspended multiple times Jones who I think all admit didnt look the same anymore. Still dominated but no finish. Ill give you this one.

3) first match back from from his first suspension and he did look .. slow. Jones only went for 5 takedowns. Landed 18 of 19 strikes on the ground. DC himself said it Jones looked slow and off. But of course Jones juiced up prior to UFC200 for DC and got caught. Match rescheduled for UFC214 where Jones looked amazing again but tested positive post match drug test.

So seems best i can do is say Jones off the Juice isnt as deadly ... obviously. Lol

Good picks and i believe i can explain all three.

1) Bonnar got destroyed but not finished. This was very young Jones. Maybe even ore PEDs Joned or pre Jackson/Wink. Maybe someone can confirm. Either way this looked as good as Khabibs non finishes. Much better than say Khabib vs Tibau for a good comparison of young star vs solid vet.

2) Smith ... this was post USADA , post suspended multiple times Jones who I think all admit didnt look the same anymore. Still dominated but no finish. Ill give you this one.

3) first match back from from his first suspension and he did look .. slow. Jones only went for 5 takedowns. Landed 18 of 19 strikes on the ground. DC himself said it Jones looked slow and off. But of course Jones juiced up prior to UFC200 for DC and got caught. Match rescheduled for UFC214 where Jones looked amazing again but tested positive post match drug test.

So seems best i can do is say Jones off the Juice isnt as deadly ... obviously. Lol
Lol fair. I kinda struggle to take that as an excuse because...I mean shouldn't be juicing anyway. But for sure that is a common thread. Doesn't really change my opinion but I think that's an apt description

Tito is fair. Why Cain over Jon and Fedor? It's valid, I just wonder what tips him over for you

Jon has fantastic GNP, as does Fedor. I feel like Cain’s was more devastating and violent. Jons was too, obviously but we haven’t seen it much lately besides the Gus 2 rematch. I think the toe injury altered his offensive approach. Cain’s used to be a vicious mauling. A blood bath. Loved Fedors because of its methodical and almost sophisticated application kind of like Khabibs.

No one has better elbows than Jon tho. That goes without saying.

It’s a tough question to answer but those are my opinions.

Back