Best fighter to never win a title

Mirko and Overeem both held belts. Not in the UFC, but held belts.
Those dont count to me.

The only belts that count,to me are the UFC belts and the PrideFC titles (Not GP)

The rest are "pshaw aint that cute!" titles.

WEC,maybe you could count the smaller weightclasses absorbed by the UFC as well that they didnt have previous.

it's Joseph Benavidez right? From 2010 to 2020 he was a top contender, starting at bantamweight and then transitioning to flyweight, with the vast majority of the time ranked at number two behind the champion. Up until his split decision loss to Sergio Pettis he had only lost to Cruz and Mighty Mouse. I can't think of anyone else with that kind of longevity at the top who never became champion.
Mousasi, Mendes, Romero, Overeem and Florian

Those dont count to me.

The only belts that count,to me are the UFC belts and the PrideFC titles (Not GP)

The rest are "pshaw aint that cute!" titles.

WEC,maybe you could count the smaller weightclasses absorbed by the UFC as well that they didnt have previous.

OK. Fair enough. wasn't outlined. But fair comment ...

I'd like to use this post to ad Igor to the list.

Sonnon, Lauzon, or Jon Fitch comes to mind

Peds or no

Dominick Reyes since he was truly robbed against Jones

Even if this was true (it isn't), you could use this argument for any fighter that got a title shot and lost a close decision. But the question isn't "who came closest to winning a title but couldn't finish the job," it's "who's the best overall that never got a belt." Otherwise people like Sonnen and Hendricks would be in the running, and of course they're not.

Hard to name "the one", but Jacaré could've been treated more fairly.

it's Joseph Benavidez right? From 2010 to 2020 he was a top contender, starting at bantamweight and then transitioning to flyweight, with the vast majority of the time ranked at number two behind the champion. Up until his split decision loss to Sergio Pettis he had only lost to Cruz and Mighty Mouse. I can't think of anyone else with that kind of longevity at the top who never became champion.
Ken Florian comes to mind.
Demian Maia as well.

Are we talking strictly UFC title?

Cause there's Overeem

Lol who's fault is that? The UFC gave him the best guys they could offer at that time. And he beat all 12 of them except former champs: Penn, Sherk, Aldo who were all in their primes. And also to an undefeated prime Maynard. And he was too green and only had 3 pro fights during his TUF loss to Diego. Different eras, but doesn't make Kenflo less of a great fighter who never won a title that time.
Usually to be considered one of the best you have to beat guys worthwhile.

Yea it was the concussions. He tried to come back a couple of times and he just couldnt train right. Any sparring at that point would put him in bed for days with migraines and vertigo. Was a great fighter tough as anyone out there. UFC did the same with Spencer Fisher too concussions started adding up had to pull out of a few fights asked the UFC for help think they scheduled one appointment for him and that was it.
They made an example out of Mark hunt for complaining of concussions/CTE. You mention it, you’re getting pulled and evaluated by a physician of our choosing. You’re essentially put in the position of fighting for the right to fight because if the physician determines you’re unfit, you’re getting cut with no financial settlement. They sent that message loud and clear with Mark.

They made an example out of Mark hunt for complaining of concussions/CTE. You mention it, you’re getting pulled and evaluated by a physician of our choosing. You’re essentially put in the position of fighting for the right to fight because if the physician determines you’re unfit, you’re getting cut with no financial settlement. They sent that message loud and clear with Mark.
The only fighter i see them taking care of beyond his fighting contract as far as concussions and pos CTE diagnosis and brain testing is Diego Sanchez. Diego says UFC is paying him to be part of studies with their medical people. Also it was after the whole Josh Fabia meltdown too. Hopefully this becomes the norm.

Kenflo
Chael
Condit
Cerrone

off the top of my head
The WWC is strong in this post.

Condit and Fabre were both WEC champs with some nice defenses too. Condit’s interim title was quasi legit as he did earn a title shot.

Prime Gus. Wins over the champion AND the challenger at LHW, prime Shogun, and lost a razor close decision against both Jones I and vs. Cormier..

Alexander Gustafsson
wins over......
Glover
Jan (current champ)
Shogun
and others.....
Losses to......
Cormier (razor close split decision)
Jones 1 (very close fight against prime Jones)
Rumble (got headbutted then mauled)
Prime Gustafsson was championship caliber fighter.
Lol, mentions an accidental clash of heads and claims it was a headbutt

But doesnt mention the fact that gus eye gouged almost every single person he fought, including Anthony Johnson

That's typical from a Gus fan

Back