Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Final 4 | 1) Barristan Selmy vs 4) Robert Baratheon

I think Rhaegar and Robert wanted to fight each other. They both loved the same woman and knew killing the other would win the battle. Its possible Barristan was injured before they fought or was elsewhere on the battlefield.

I'm going to vote for Barristan, I just remembered something.

In ADWD Barristan thinks how he ended up serving Robert and he wasn't there when Tywin presented Robert with the bodies of the Targaryen children. He heard Robert might have smiled, if this was true he thinks he'd have killed Robert for that.

I don't think its some idle boast. I think Barristan himself believes he could beat Robert.

I think Rhaegar and Robert wanted to fight each other. They both loved the same woman and knew killing the other would win the battle. Its possible Barristan was injured before they fought or was elsewhere on the battlefield.

I'm going to vote for Barristan, I just remembered something.

In ADWD Barristan thinks how he ended up serving Robert and he wasn't there when Tywin presented Robert with the bodies of the Targaryen children. He heard Robert might have smiled, if this was true he thinks he'd have killed Robert for that.

I don't think its some idle boast. I think Barristan himself believes he could beat Robert.

And yet he never confronted him on that... just day dreamed about what he might have done if he was just a tad bit bolder...

And yet he never confronted him on that... just day dreamed about what he might have done if he was just a tad bit bolder...

And not elsewhere recovering from the Trident. I don't think he was lying when he said that is how he would have reacted if he had been.

At the time he was recuperating from the Trident. It would have meant his life anyway, either Robert kills him or Robert dies and Barristan gets cut down.

Selmy and Dayne are the most skilled swordsman, but Robert isn't a swordsman. Also, GRRM has also said that any of the top fighters can beat any of the other top fighters, depending. Also, is there anything on Selmy's resume that prime Robert couldn't do? Is cutting through the Golden Company and slaying Maelys the Monstrous more impressive than bulldozing through the Targaryen host and smashing Prince Rhaegar?

I think Robert is a big wild card. Unlike any other elite warrior, he has a number of advantages over the top guys. He has the weapon advantage, size/strength advantage, durability/armor advantage, and combat experience advantage over Jaime/Dayne/Selmy. The sharpness/speed advantage of Dawn is pretty much negated: it's not gonna cut through Robert's plate and Robert has trained against speed his entire life. He matches up really well with them.

Robert because of this right here. Plus all the stories about him tell a tale of some un-measurable desire to win.

Based on my what I know from the show and what I read from you guys I think Selmy takes this 7 or 8 times out of 10.

I think his speed and technique advantages coupled with the limitations of a War Hammer would be too much.

I think the location of such a battle would be important, too. Too large or small of a fighting area and Robert's War Hammer can be neutralized.

Been oohing and aahing about this for a while. Initially I felt that Selmy would find some way to neutralise Robert before finishing him, but after further consideration concluded that rampaging berzerker Rob with all of his x-factor attributes would get the job done.

That being said, Robert is kind of a nightmare matchup for any swordsmen. He's fully armored and uses a hammer. Swords aren't much use against a strong fully armored warrior. THey can block stabs and cuts from a sword but one swing of Robert's hammer and his opponent is crushed.

TRT Selmy beats Roidbert Baratheon any day.

Hope there is a losers bracket to this and the AD JL fight... Jamie vs robert is a good third place scrap.

I'd like to see that too, but I think Robert would cave his chest in. Nice grudge match, with both guys probably eager at the chance to kill the other.

On thing is like to contest to anyone using the Trident against Barry:

Sure that was prime Robert, but was it really Prime Barry?. Barry was what 50-60 in the first book and still a badass, Trident was some years before, putting a still older Barry against Prime Rob.

I stand by my Barry vote.

I'm not a book reader so I really had no idea what a bad ass Selmy was supposed to be until I heard people on Sherdog discussing it. I always wondered how an old man, in King's Landing no less, could draw his sword in the throne room, threaten to cut through people "like cake", and then walk out and nobody would do a damn thing about it. Even Joffrey was like, well damn.

Here is the vid just as a refresher.

Well I think overall that Selmy is superior, I just think this happens to be a bad matchup for anybody with his fighting style.

I love that scene. Little Finger is such a douche.

I'm not a book reader so I really had no idea what a bad ass Selmy was supposed to be until I heard people on Sherdog discussing it. I always wondered how an old man, in King's Landing no less, could draw his sword in the throne room, threaten to cut through people "like cake", and then walk out and nobody would do a damn thing about it. Even Joffrey was like, well damn.

Here is the vid just as a refresher.

The fact that Tywin "The Fucking Boss" Lannister mentions twice how stupid it was to relieve him (probably the most hespect he shows anyone in the show) should also be noted from the Hodor perspective.

The fact that Tywin "The Fucking Boss" Lannister mentions twice how stupid it was to relieve him (probably the most hespect he shows anyone in the show) should also be noted from the Hodor perspective.

which episode was it that he said that most recently? I've been trying to find that scene.

I wanna vote on having a B division tourney.

Then we would just have to decide the highest level guy in the tourney. Loras? Bronn? Ned? Grey Worm? or ReEk? I guess there would be a vote for the seeds, but there would need to be a cap on the guys who would obviously win the whole thing.

I wanna vote on having a B division tourney.

Then we would just have to decide the highest level guy in the tourney. Loras? Bronn? Ned? Grey Worm? or ReEk? I guess there would be a vote for the seeds, but there would need to be a cap on the guys who would obviously win the whole thing.

Of the people in this tourney, maybe only those eliminated in the 1st round could be considered amongst the rest of the candidates?

which episode was it that he said that most recently? I've been trying to find that scene.

Think it was two weeks ago, when Oby made his first council visit and Varys told Tywin the Dany had Barry and Friendzone counciling

Back