Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Final 4 | 1) Barristan Selmy vs 4) Robert Baratheon

I dig this pic of Barry here.

400px-Mike_Capprotti_Ser_Barristan.jpg

"Fly you fools!"

Seems like some serious underrating of Bobby going on ITT. As another poster mentioned, despite the king having the majority of the best fighters in the world on their side and a numbers advantage the rebellion won largely on the strength of what a badass Prime Robert was.

Wasn't he undefeated in single combat? I haven't read the books but didn't somebody mention Robert hiding out somewhere and having to be rescued? Was that after losing a battle or a one on one fight?

I didn't vote but think Robert would win at least as often as he lost here.

Robert was the only fighter in GOT who actually won a kingdom, and prime he was a complete badass.

Wasn't he undefeated in single combat? I haven't read the books but didn't somebody mention Robert hiding out somewhere and having to be rescued? Was that after losing a battle or a one on one fight?

He was hiding out in Stoney Sept when he was separated from his army, injured, and Jon Connington came down to find him. The townspeople were hiding him throughout the town, and eventually, he came out of a brothel and almost killed Connington when Ned and his forces arrived.

He was hiding out in Stoney Sept when he was separated from his army, injured, and Jon Connington came down to find him. The townspeople were hiding him throughout the town, and eventually, he came out of a brothel and almost killed Connington when Ned and his forces arrived.

Thanks. Do they mention how he was injured and if Ned stopped him from killing him?

I mentioned him in the original thread. I suggested a "big guy" bracket including Tormund, Belwas, Areo Hotah, Gregor-which was met with a "Hotah is a fucking can" post.

I am fairly confident that I know who the tops are. I may have had Gregor or RedViper in my list over Robert, but more for variation and because they were known one on one fighters vs Robert's battlefield mastery.

If you have Tormund, you have to have Mance in there, being as Mance beat him already. Halfhand also said that Mance was the best in the Night's Watch as well.

Motivated robert is a beast. While selmy is a pro. Selmy would always be consistent while robert needs some stimuli to be effective.

Thanks. Do they mention how he was injured and if Ned stopped him from killing him?

Well, Ned definitely came and helped being that Robert was on his own and if he was caught, surely would have died being that there was a whole army lead by Jon Connington against him. Which really adds to how much of a badass Robert was...could get townsfolk to hide him from an army, even though he was the rebel lord.

I don't recall them saying how he was injured though.

Barristan had to be carried away from a battle he was so badly injured at some point as well..he nearly died IIRC.

It's never said how he was injured. Robert had just lost a battle to Sam's dad and was marching and somewhere he got injured. More than likely something happened along the way and will come out in future books.

from Ice and Fire wiki

After the defeat in the Battle of Ashford, on the border between the Stormlands and the Reach, Robert Baratheon turned north. Most likely, he was trying to link up to his allies, the Starks, Tullys and Arryns. It is unknown what happened between Ashford and Stoney Sept but during the journey Robert was wounded and he hid in the sept from pursuers just before the battle began.

When the Hand of the King, Lord Jon Connington, occupied the town he ordered his soldiers to begin searching the houses looking for Robert Baratheon. They had not found him when the combined Tully and Stark army reached Stoney Sept. The rebels stormed the city's walls and attacked the army of Connington who responded by fighting back fiercely. He wounded Lord Hoster Tully and killed Lord Jon Arryn's cousin and heir, Denys Arryn. At the same time the two armies were battling all around them in the streets and in the alleys, even on some of the rooftops.

At this point Robert came out, probably with his followers, and led the counterattack. Robert slew Prince Rhaegar Targaryen's friend and former squire, Ser Myles Mooton. Although this seemed to have turned the tide of the battle, Robert himself later maintained that Lord Eddard Stark won it for him. Jon Connington realized the battle was lost and was able to retreat in good order

Lol. Selmy also wasn't wounded in single combat by a dude who'd rather play his harp.

Selmy wasn't with Rhagear because he was so wounded he needed to be carried from the battle, so I guess that dude who played his harp lasted a little longer that day than good ole Barry :icon_lol:

Back