Best Fighter in GOT Tournament | Final 4 | 1) Barristan Selmy vs 4) Robert Baratheon

I vote prime, Westerosi conquering Robert Baratheon.

I was thinking a bit more about this. He's basically designed to kick the crap outta knights....a nightmare matchup for any of them, but at the same time, I could see him getting his ass kicked by someone like Drogo for those same reasons whereas I don't even think an old Selmy would lose to Drogo.

Agreed. As long as Drogo has space to maneuver, Robert probably doesn't hit him. Given the length of Drogo's braid, he's got to be a pretty cautious dude.

I think Gregor is the worst matchup for Robert. Not sure if his hammer can punch through double plate and he'd be at a size/strength/reach/berserker disadvantage. Both of them seem okay with eating a blow to give a blow. Which is weird, because any of the other elites (Jaime/Sandor/Dayne/Selmy) would school Gregor.

Then again:

Robert has a sword when he handed Connington his ass. Wonder if he could wield a greatsword one-handed like Gregor.

Agreed. As long as Drogo has space to maneuver, Robert probably doesn't hit him. Given the length of Drogo's braid, he's got to be a pretty cautious dude.

I think Gregor is the worst matchup for Robert. Not sure if his hammer can punch through double plate and he'd be at a size/strength/reach/berserker disadvantage. Both of them seem okay with eating a blow to give a blow. Which is weird, because any of the other elites (Jaime/Sandor/Dayne/Selmy) would school Gregor.

Then again:

Robert has a sword when he handed Connington his ass. Wonder if he could wield a greatsword one-handed like Gregor.

Ned said he could barely lift Robert's hammer off the ground and Robert swung it with one hand.

I know Ned doesn't use a greatsword in battle but he didn't seem to have trouble using it to execute that dude.

If it wasn't Valyrian Steel, I bet Ned would have some problems wielding Ice.

I think people put too much stock in Roberts power. People are talking about how because he's wearing plate Selmy couldn't hurt him without getting hit, but that's obvious nonsense.

Even if we agree with the theory that Robert is an unstoppable nightmare for an armoured knight (i don't), he was voted as beating Syrio heavily in the last round, who is the exact opposite, on the grounds that he couldn't penetrate Bobby B's plate without getting hit either.

Barristan wins in my opinion. He steps away from Bobs swings, lets him tire, waits for a miss and momentarily exposed weak area, then takes advantage ruthlessly. One good strike through the elbow, knee or shoulder joint of Roberts plate and Selmy has him injured and beaten. No way Bob gets a hit on him with a damn warhammer before Selmy gets his shot in, he's way too good for that.

Motivated Robert like we seen on the trident - spurred on in complete and utter rage would not of been stopped by anybody. Ever. It could of been anyone in Westerosi history facing him on those banks and he still would have went through them like a freight train.

Barristan wins otherwise, so he gets my vote.

If people think those 4 would school Gregor (which most here do), i don't see how Roberts much of a different proposition. Big, unnaturally fast and in plate. Selmy and the others do the same to him that they would do to Gregor. The only reason people think it's obvious they'd do it to Gregor and not to Robert is because we've seen it done to Gregor already.

I think people put too much stock in Roberts power. People are talking about how because he's wearing plate Selmy couldn't hurt him without getting hit, but that's obvious nonsense.

Even if we agree with the theory that Robert is an unstoppable nightmare for an armoured knight (i don't), he was voted as beating Syrio heavily in the last round, who is the exact opposite, on the grounds that he couldn't penetrate Bobby B's plate without getting hit either.

Barristan wins in my opinion. He steps away from Bobs swings, lets him tire, waits for a miss and momentarily exposed weak area, then takes advantage ruthlessly. One good strike through the elbow, knee or shoulder joint of Roberts plate and Selmy has him injured and beaten. No way Bob gets a hit on him with a damn warhammer before Selmy gets his shot in, he's way too good for that.

I guess Selmy just had an off day when he let dragonboy die

If people think those 4 would school Gregor (which most here do), i don't see how Roberts much of a different proposition. Big, unnaturally fast and in plate. Selmy and the others do the same to him that they would do to Gregor. The only reason people think it's obvious they'd do it to Gregor and not to Robert is because we've seen it done to Gregor already.

Robert hits the sweet spot between quickness and brute strength a little better the Clegane

I guess Selmy just had an off day when he let dragonboy die

He didn't meet up with Robert, and he killed over a dozen men as i remember before being overcome. Presumably once Rhaegar died and the army started to collapse.

The only thing that beats Selmy is Dayne or a group of people.

Last edited:
He didn't meet up with Robert, and he killed over a dozen men as i remember before being overcome. Presumably once the Rhaegar died and the army started to collapse.

The only thing that beats Selmy is Dayne or a group of people.

Robert wasn't overcome. He was to busy smashing fools.

Robert uses a hammer. In the same way that Syrio beats unarmored opponents because of his weapon choice, Robert has a huge advantage in armored combat because of his choice.

Jaime thinks that he's fast enough to have an advantage over Gregor, but not fast enough to have an advantage over Sandor. Robert has to be around Sandor's speed (probably faster naturally, but with a slightly slower weapon).

The final is probably going to be Barristan the Bold v The Sword of the Morning.

[YT]q6GW03WsFgU[/YT]

This just seems appropriate right now.

Back