Bernie Buys $600,000 Summer Home

url

Bernie-Sanders-Just-Released-His-Tax-Returns-p1-normal.gif

Feel the Bern!

bernie-sanders-Lake-Champlain-summer-home-400x301.jpg

Now owns a total of three houses.

Guess that Clinton endorsement was even more valuable than we thought. Glad to see the old guy has something substantial to show for selling his soul.

Gotta' pay-to-play, DNC bitches!
It's not like he held a steady pay check for the last 50 years...

I thought his only deductions were:
Mortgage interest
Property taxes
Charitable contributions

Doesn't everyone who owns a home and donates to charity take advantage of those "loopholes"?

film293.jpg

The lunatics would complain if Sanders bought this as a house.

I mean for heavens sake the man has been working forever. Should he not be able to purchase a moderately priced home.

How people forget back in 2007 every house cost this much. It's all about perspective.

But sure, you're right. He should be eating ramen noodles in a shack and mostly drinking his own piss if he wants us to listen to his economic ideas.

There is, of course, some middle-ground between owning three homes worth almost 2 million dollars and drinking one's own piss in a tar paper shack. :rolleyes:

I guarantee you that for a lot of former Bernie supporters (the educated ones) news of this summer home purchase will be a kick in the teeth. Coming hot on the heels of his Clinton endorsement kick in the teeth.

If nothing else I'm shocked a man as politically astute as Sanders wouldn't have waited until he was entirely out of the spotlight, after the November elections, to do this real estate deal.

Wasn't his self-reported net worth something like 600,000$?

I guess Bernie got a nice payday for playing ball. Too bad it's not going to fill the hole left in his soul.
You guys are acting like he paid it all upfront in cash

You guys are acting like he paid it all upfront in cash
This was all mentioned in the last thread. You think a lot of banks are lining up to give a 30 year mortgage to an 80 year old guy who called them all crooked, thieving, scumbags?

There is, of course, some middle-ground between owning three homes worth almost 2 million dollars and drinking one's own piss in a tar paper shack. :rolleyes:

I guarantee you that for a lot of former Bernie supporters (the educated ones) news of this summer home purchase will be a kick in the teeth. Coming hot on the heels of his Clinton endorsement kick in the teeth.

If nothing else I'm shocked a man as politically astute as Sanders wouldn't have waited until he was entirely out of the spotlight, after the November elections, to do this real estate deal.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing this grand waste of money you're trying to paint it as. Do you know who lives in his homes and when? Do you think there's a chance he has family occupying those homes when he isn't? Do you think there's a chance he might be selling one after this purchase? Do you know anything about how he purchased the home? Was it straight cash? You know only what you want to know about the matter.

And forgetting all that, what kind of home would have been acceptable based on his platforms? Does he get no water view and a 250k limit because of his tax proposals? Is his yard only allowed a certain amount of square feet because he wants a $15 minimum wage?

Your proposed middle ground is nothing but a path to whichever extreme you choose. There's no accurate system of measuring what he's entitled to within it. Basically, it doesn't exist in any way that's useful to your point. Because your point doesn't come from the middle ground, does it?

This was all mentioned in the last thread. You think a lot of banks are lining up to give a 30 year mortgage to an 80 year old guy who called them all crooked, thieving, scumbags?
Well the insults literally play no role in the decision making of banks but that is a good point.

The house I live in is like half that value after conversion and nowhere near the size...

Only $600,000?

The Clintons make that much off a single speech given to Russians.

$600k really ain't shit for the game he's in.

Hillary makes more than that in just a few private speeches to the big banks.

If this is supposed to be a 'oh look at Bernie the big hypocrite' kind of thing... Fail.

film293.jpg

The lunatics would complain if Sanders bought this as a house.

I mean for heavens sake the man has been working forever. Should he not be able to purchase a moderately priced home.

How people forget back in 2007 every house cost this much. It's all about perspective.

Ughhhh the 600k home is his 3rd residence, not his primary home :)

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS WHAT LIBERALS ACTUALLY BELIEVE

Well back in 2007 they did cost thst much. Did they not? House prices were incredibly inflated. This is common knowledge. So perspective is needed here.

I don't see how this home is excessive. Like other posters have said, it's a lot of house for a decent price. Water front as well.

Should he not have this after working his entire life?

I'm sure his local Wells Fargo branch is worried about that. They're probably up in arms when he walked through the door.

Perhaps his private mortgage broker who is shopping his loan to the banks changed his contact information once Bernie reached out to him.

Maybe his real estate agent and their in house broker was floored by this and needed smelling salt to be brought back to life.

Well back in 2007 they did cost thst much. Did they not? House prices were incredibly inflated. This is common knowledge. So perspective is needed here.

I don't see how this home is excessive. Like other posters have said, it's a lot of house for a decent price. Water front as well.

Should he not have this after working his entire life?

Median_and_Average_Sales_Prices_of_New_Homes_Sold_in_the_US_1963-2010_Monthly.png

You are off by about 2x.

And I'm only commenting on that bit about prices in 2007. As for Bernie, its his money. He can spend it how he wants.

Well the insults literally play no role in the decision making of banks but that is a good point.
The insults were for his end, his age for theirs. I wouldn't think either side would want to do business.

Bernie has been making around 150k a year on average just from being a member of congress/senate. For the last 24 years.

That is just from his salary. That does not include any other income he may have, or that his wife makes, a woman who also makes a very good living.

Seriously. Get the fuck out of here with this Bernie was sold shit.

Median_and_Average_Sales_Prices_of_New_Homes_Sold_in_the_US_1963-2010_Monthly.png

You are off by about 2x.

I don't understand what this graph has to do with what I said. Of course there were 600k houses in 2007.

I'm not even disagreeing with this graph either.

Home prices were inflated in 2007, there was a subprime mortgage crisis you might have forgotten about. Low interest rates spurred climbing housing prices

The graph even shows the dip in housing prices after the 2008 financial crash.

I'm not making this a competition about years here. Also housing prices have been fairly positive since around 2012/13.

Back