Bernie Buys $600,000 Summer Home

There is, of course, some middle-ground between owning three homes worth almost 2 million dollars and drinking one's own piss in a tar paper shack. :rolleyes:

I guarantee you that for a lot of former Bernie supporters (the educated ones) news of this summer home purchase will be a kick in the teeth. Coming hot on the heels of his Clinton endorsement kick in the teeth.

If nothing else I'm shocked a man as politically astute as Sanders wouldn't have waited until he was entirely out of the spotlight, after the November elections, to do this real estate deal.
It might have been a one day only sale. Who knows.

600k seems cheap. TS sounds desperate to discredit Bernie.

What's all this nonsense about Bernie having a soul?

600k seems cheap. TS sounds desperate to discredit Bernie.

I supported Sanders and defended him in the WR multiple times during the primaries. Even defended him on his tax returns right here in this thread.

But at the end of the day, unlike most Americans involved in the political process, I am a follower of ideas, not men.

He had to do something with all those campaign donations. What was he going to do, give it back?

Wasn't his self-reported net worth something like 600,000$?

I guess Bernie got a nice payday for playing ball. Too bad it's not going to fill the hole left in his soul.
do you know how mortgages work?

You can usually put as little as 5% down and buy the house.

Still sad that Bernie's cottage is worth as much as my home.

do you know how mortgages work?

You can usually put as little as 5% down and buy the house.

Still sad that Bernie's cottage is worth as much as my home.

How many 74 year olds can put 5% down to buy a house? I doubt not many, who aren't receiving favours due to their public status.

We all know what this is. Sanders is being rewarded for his good work in dropping out without making any trouble. He has got himself a nice little house to spend the rest of his days in.

I supported Sanders and defended him in the WR multiple times during the primaries. Even defended him on his tax returns right here in this thread.

But at the end of the day, unlike most Americans involved in the political process, I am a follower of ideas, not men.

The main idea being that the right should always expand its political power. You supported Sanders as long as you thought supporting him was the best way to help in that, and then immediately flipped.

He had to do something with all those campaign donations. What was he going to do, give it back?

He can't use campaign donations for that.

How many 74 year olds can put 5% down to buy a house? I doubt not many, who aren't receiving favours due to their public status.

We all know what this is. Sanders is being rewarded for his good work in dropping out without making any trouble. He has got himself a nice little house to spend the rest of his days in.

$600 is not a lot dude. You can borrow against the equity in your other homes or anything. My coworker just did this to buy a $400k cottage.
Real estate is an aggressive industry. I am 30 and I could afford this house if I wanted. Why couldn't a 74 year old who makes more money per year than me afford this home?

It raises questions, I agree but it's not something we can draw any conclusions from.

Maybe Bernie is spending his savings because he is retiring after getting beat in the primary? I would too. ( I don't even like Bernie's politics but it's crazy to think an old jewish guy can't afford a 600k cottage)

$600 is not a lot dude. You can borrow against the equity in your other homes or anything. My coworker just did this to buy a $400k cottage.
Real estate is an aggressive industry. I am 30 and I could afford this house if I wanted. Why couldn't a 74 year old who makes more money per year than me afford this home?

It raises questions, I agree but it's not something we can draw any conclusions from.

Maybe Bernie is spending his savings because he is retiring after getting beat in the primary? I would too. ( I don't even like Bernie's politics but it's crazy to think an old jewish guy can't afford a 600k cottage)

I'm just poking fun at the man for the most part.

I'm too well used to local Finnish politicians "settling down" after a failed run and getting themselves a nice payday from the system for the "good run" that they've had. Maybe this is not how politics work in the U.S, but it is definitely how they work in pretty much everywhere else. As long as you play your part, you get treated well by the system. Otherwise, you get screwed.

The main idea being that the right should always expand its political power. You supported Sanders as long as you thought supporting him was the best way to help in that, and then immediately flipped.

He can't use campaign donations for that.

Just like Hillary can't accept campaign donations through the Clinton Foundation....

I'm just poking fun at the man for the most part.

I'm too well used to local Finnish politicians "settling down" after a failed run and getting themselves a nice payday from the system for the "good run" that they've had. Maybe this is not how politics work in the U.S, but it is definitely how they work in pretty much everywhere else. As long as you play your part, you get treated well by the system. Otherwise, you get screwed.
I think it probably works that way here too. One of my friends is heavily involved in Politics but he would never give me any real insight.

Er, yeah.

If you're aware of any law-breaking here, report it.

I'm sure it's entirely legal. Let's not pretend that Middle Eastern countries that view women as property and make all of their money through oil are donating millions and millions of dollars to a charity that lists as it's two main focuses movement towards sustainable green energy and greater world wide women's rights and empowerment because they give a shit about those two causes. I was born at night, but not last night, Jack.

Wasn't his self-reported net worth something like 600,000$?

I guess Bernie got a nice payday for playing ball. Too bad it's not going to fill the hole left in his soul.
my net worth is like 50k (and thats all in 401k). my house is worth more than 50k....

You mother fuckers act like he walked in to the bank, said "fuck yo 30 year interest rate" and plopped down 600k in a briefcase. jeez

It's in the WR

And I don't see how him only paying 13.5 in effective tax rate isn't a point to berate him on - very much a do as I say but not as I do human.
Not really. I believe everyone should be taxed more (especially the rich), but I don't just say "fuck it IRS, here's an extra 5k". Its all about paying your fair share, and I, nor Bernie, is going to be the poor honest sap in a world full of assholes who pay less in taxes.

You can push for legislation to change a broken system. This isn't a fucking basketball team where he needs to set an example by being in the gym first and leaving last.

I don't understand what this graph has to do with what I said. Of course there were 600k houses in 2007.

I'm not even disagreeing with this graph either.

Home prices were inflated in 2007, there was a subprime mortgage crisis you might have forgotten about. Low interest rates spurred climbing housing prices

The graph even shows the dip in housing prices after the 2008 financial crash.

I'm not making this a competition about years here. Also housing prices have been fairly positive since around 2012/13.

You literally said "every house costs this much" back in 2007.

But the median and average house sales were less than half this much. Even in 2007, a $600,000 home was double what the average person was buying.

You literally said "every house costs this much" back in 2007.

But the median and average house sales were less than half this much. Even in 2007, a $600,000 home was double what the average person was buying.

Th point was the overall inflated prices of homes.

I'm sorry you got stuck on one sentence and disregarded the rest.

Back