bernard hopkins ended the discussion of boxers vs mma fighters

I'm pretty sure Leviticus says nothing about MMA, lol.

Btw, I have absolutely no doubt in my mind Randy'll win. Randy'll come in, dirty box Toney into oblivion, get underhooks because Toney'll try to trap his hands the way they do in boxing, get slammed, mounted, and ktfo'd.

C'mon KidMcCoy, even you cant believe all that crap your spewing. Every Crossover fight involving a boxer was fixed? I hope you don't fall into a deep depression when Toney gets his ass beat by Couture. :icon_lol:

I hope Toney wins so all boxing haters and MMA nuthuggers will cry.

Another MMA hater among many on here. Boxers haters? MMA nuthuggers? Where? Here on Sherdog? No dude it's the other way around, this place is full of MMA haters and Boxing nuthuggers.

Okay, so Butterbean doesn't count as a representative for boxing but auggie padekan counts as an mma representative? Jerome Turcan? Hardly fair.

Of course not because that would be giving MMA credit and that's something most morons around here wont do.

The score, by the way, in actual Boxer vs. MMA fights, outside of fantasy land, is this:

1. James Warring (BOXING) SUB 1 Jerome Turcan
2. James Warring (BOXING) KO 1 Erik Paulson
3. Renzo Gracie (MMA) SUB 1 James Warring (BOXING)
4. Jeremy Williams (BOXING) KO 1 Josh Tamsen (MMA)
5. Jeremy Williams (BOXING) KO 2 Ron Fields (MMA)
6. Jeremy Williams (BOXING) SUB 1 Derek Thornton (MMA)
7. Jeremy Williams (BOXING) KO 3 Charles Jones (MMA)
8. Jeremy Williams (BOXING) KO 1 Auggie Padeken (MMA)
9. Ray Mercer (BOXING) KO 1 Tim Sylvia (MMA)
10. James Toney (BOXING) KO 1 Randy Couture (MMA)

Boxing: 9
MMA: 1

(Jobbers & losing club fighters like Butterbean, Bowen, Nishijima, Laverne Clark, Botha and Art Jimmerson obviously don

Any dude making his MMA debut against one of the most celebrated fighters in the sport should loose.

Judging by the size of this thread no, he did not.

I'm actually hoping that James Toney pulls out the win, he's one of my all time favourite boxers and one of the most talented defensive fighters/counter punchers i've seen.

JT won't lose by KO, that i'm sure of, in 83 boxing matches he's never been KO'd and Randy doesn't even have a punchers chance.

I actually don't think Couture will be able to take him down at will and it will be a long night for Randy, although i'm only a white belt so what do I know, right?

The thing with Boxers is that any half decent boxer who steps into the cage has ATLEAST a punchers chance, look what a washed up Ray Mercer did to Tim Sylvia..

IMO boxing is more useful than Muay Thai in the cage, against a wrestler anyway

maybe he does but b4 that he said that mma is gay,so who knows what the fuck is he thinking

Hahah chckout what James toney has to say about Hopkins.

By Mark Vester

Former three division champion James Toney has fired back at Bernard Hopkins and WBA heavyweight champion David Haye. Both fighters have been very critical of Toney's entrance into the world of MMA. Toney has a huge task in front of him when he faces former UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture on pay-per-view August 28 in Boston.

Haye called Toney "delusional" for making such a move. Hopkins said Toney will "get his ass kicked." Toney says both Hopkins and Haye will eat their words after he pulls off an impressive MMA debut in two weeks.

"I don't like neither one of them anyway so it don't matter," Toney told ESPN. "I don't care about the boxing community. I care about James Toney. It's about James Toney and Randy Couture. It's not about James Toney and boxing and James Toney and MMA.

"This is James Toney and Randy Couture so for Bernard he can go somewhere and get his damn teeth fixed. And David Haye, he's gay. I don't care about none of that. So they can just listen to all their bullsh*t."

James Toney: 'Hopkins Fix Your Teeth, David Haye is Gay' - Boxing News

Inoki, for his part did however manage to beat then Kyokushin Karate champion Willie Williams, Olympic Judo gold medalist Willem Ruska, Kickboxing champion Everett Eddy, Russian Judo great Shota Samsonovich Chochishvili and the Indo-Pakistani wrestling legend Akram Pahalwan in pre-MMA “Mixed Martial Arts” matches.

Um, the Inoki-Ruska fight was an admitted work, and the fight with Chochishivili was almost certainly a work. Curious that you're quick to call Mercer-Kimbo a work, and then count as real a fight which is an admitted work and one which looked like a WWE match (ie a more obvious work than Mercer-Kimbo).

The problem with inter-style matches is that the people doing them are almost always at the tail ends of their careers (not just boxers, but wrestlers and judoka too ... even guys like Yoshida went into MMA after he could no longer even place in international judo matches, same for Nastula, and Karelin's single 'fight'). Guys who can still compete in their prime sport stay in it, either for the money as in boxing, or Olympic gold (and depending upon the country that Olympic gold can be worth a million or two in endorsements, Yoshida made millions from judo).

The matches are typically to make money, and because of that the temptation for works is huge for all involved. Get two big names, neither of which are capable of even 50% of what they could do at their prime, and deliver a lot of excitement to make big money ... much easier to do with a work than by having two over the hill guys really try to compete (ie their age shows if they really compete).

I'm not saying all fights between two ex-greats are works, but most are similar to old-timer's all-star games in baseball or hockey ... everyone's done their time and are pretty beat up after their career, and they try to take it easy while making it look good. The equivalent to the 'curve' which doesn't break in an old-timer's baseball game so that the fans see a spectacular homerun.

And I'm not saying Toney-Couture is necessarily going to be one of those, but both are really old for this sort of thing ...

Last edited:
very few are making a decision to be a boxer vs a mma fighter based on money. top mma fighters can make $10+ million a year. that's enough to provide incentive.

if you start in boxing and are gifted in boxing, you'll stay in boxing. but if you start in wrestling, bjj, judo, muay thai, kickboxing, and you're gifted in anything else, you're likely not going to be a boxer. the best boxers typically box. but that doesn't mean the best fighters are boxers.

very few are making a decision to be a boxer vs a mma fighter based on money. top mma fighters can make $10+ million a year. that's enough to provide incentive.

Where do you get 10+ million number from?

That fight was an exhibition, "brah".

LOL...so Mercer didn't try or gave up, or threw the fight?

Mercer got his a$$ kicked in this fight, simple as that...all the excuses you and Kid Dip$hit McCoy won't change that.

Where do you get 10+ million number from?

I believe only a few, select MMA fighters make that much a year with lucrative sponsorship deals, PPV Cuts and fight pay checks...

I believe GSP makes around that much...( I could be wrong)

LOL...so Mercer didn't try or gave up, or threw the fight?

Mercer got his a$$ kicked in this fight, simple as that...all the excuses you and Kid Dip$hit McCoy won't change that.

Em...

The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board don't believe this was a legitimate contest... why do you?

There are two reasons for exhibitions in MMA. One is TUF as under state regulations the UFC would otherwise have to release the results of the fight pretty much immediately after the occurred. Thus the exhibition classification and thus not appearing on a fighter's legitimate record. No-one disputes that or questions the fights themselves.

The 2nd is when a fight is pre-determined or it is clear that one/both fighters have no intention of winning. This is so people betting on a bout aren't deceived into thinking it was a real contest and thus are conned out of their money. Every other fight fought under professional rules on the card was regulated as a legitimate bout, the results of which can be found here:

CFFC 5 Two Worlds, One Cage Results, Fight Card, News, Videos, Pictures, and more

You will note that the card contained such notable fighters as IFL and WEC vet Deividas Taurosevicius, WEC vet Anthony "Cheesesteak" Morrison, current UFC fighters John "Doomsday" Howard, Nick "The Jersey Devil" Catone and Jim Miller, IFL vet Dante Rivera and UFC veteran Nick Serra. All of their fights are listed on the results... conspicuous by their absence are a certain Kevin Ferguson and Ray Mercer.

MMA has a long history of exhibition bouts put on for the audience's enjoyment and nothing more. Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman headlined an early UFC with a wrestling exhibition after Coleman's opponents pulled out, Rickson Gracie put on a BJJ demonstration is front of 10s of thousands in Japan. The most notable recent exhibition to occur was a match between Fedor and Aoki which also doesn't appear on either fighters record:

YouTube - Fedor vs Aoki Exibition Match

Now, what other reasons are there for this bout to be an exhibition... and to always be an exhibition rather than say a contest that was intended to be a legitimate bout but was refused sanctioning?

It always amuses me when people bring up this bout and Art Jimmerson as some sort of one-two trump card in these debates. One bout is already classed as being no different to the contest between The Big Show and Kurt Angle from WWE No Mercy 2004 and the other has Big John himself (as well as the definitive work on the early UFCs) say it was a thrown fight. Of all the evidence both logically and empirically available to show that when a competitor (especially a long past their prime competitor) changes to a different rule set (even one with similarities) they generally don't do well against those long versed in the rules? Of course MMA is somewhat of an exception to that: fighters have long come into MMA with little to no grounding in the sport and immediately crushed veterans in a way that hasn't occurred in any other large-scale sport I can think of, but the point remains. It is entirely possible to construct a coherent, logical argument as to why an MMA fighter will nearly always crush a boxer just coming into the sport... but Kimbo/Mercer and Jimmerson/Royce are not the way to do it.

Back