Behind bars, a brutal and unexplained death

Do you think that child molesters are subhuman?

Mentally ill by our standards but not sub-human.

I'm not a huge fan of the death penalty but I'm also not opposed to it in principle. What I think is problematic is in nominally just and enlightened society we somehow implicitly encourage the brutality and inhumanity that our government indulges in. We, as a people, need to hold law enforcement and the political class to a higher standard than we do. It's actually shameful.

To those who made generalizations about Saudi Arabs based on the treatment of the Filipino maid, are there any generalizations that can be made about a group of Americans from this story?

You either do not know the history of Gulf Arabs and how they treat foreign expats from poor countries or you do know and are just being an apologist.

In the Gulf exploitation and abuse of housemaids and laborers is not uncommon, it is widespread. In the Gulf the justice system and authorities never take meaningfull steps against locals unless there is soo much publicity that they are forced to do something. Locals in that region treat a lot of poor migrants like crap because they know they can get away with because the law will almost allways side with them.

You are totally disengenous if you think it is even remotely fair to compare Western democrasies to the Gulf .

The difference is, the culprits in this case will be held accountable for the awful crimes committed and nearly everyone in this country will condemn such acts...

Regarding the Saudi Royalty, nothing will come about from it...not even a ticket or fine, or even a verbal reprimand.

Edit: It's been 2 years, hopefully Justice will come to these guards

/thread

florida.gif

what was the point of your question?
I am exploring why some generalizations are easier to make than others.

Many generalizations were made about Saudi Arabs in the other thread.

There are comparably fewer generalizations being made in this thread.

Can you make a generalization about a subgroup of Americans based on the American story about boiling like how generalizations where made about Saudi Arabs based on the Saudi story about boiling?

There are comparably fewer generalizations being made in this thread.

Can you make a generalization about a subgroup of Americans based on the American story about boiling like how generalizations where made about Saudi Arabs based on the Saudi story about boiling?

This boiling incident is not an outlier as far as Saudi treatment of poor expats go, so when people agree that Saudi society as a whole is nasty it is a generalization based on not 1 or 2 incidents but the systemic abuse of foreigners, specifically poor foreigners.

This boiling incident is not an outlier as far as Saudi treatment of poor expats go, so when people agree that Saudi society as a whole is nasty it is a generalization based on not 1 or 2 incidents but the systemic abuse of foreigners, specifically poor foreigners.
Are there only 1 or 2 incidents of abuse by American prison officials?

Those aren't generalizations, though. The Saudi thing is the rule, not the exception, somthing that seems to be flying right over your head.

You are really and truely clueless as to how the Arab world operates, aren't you?

Are there only 1 or 2 incidents of abuse by American prison officials?

Ofcourse there is many but do you think they have the level of immunity that police in the Gulf have against foreigners.

I have often criticised the lack of serious punishment for cops in the cops threads and do feel the system needs to change , but by and large Law Enforcement here is still far more restrained and accountable than Law Enforcement in the Gulf.

Keep in mind in the Gulf we are talking about the level of immunity of regular citizens while you bring up Law Enforcement. It's not like White Americans can just go around abusing non Whites and expect to get away with it.

Ofcourse there is many but do you think they have the level of immunity that police in the Gulf have against foreigners.

I have often criticised the lack of serious punishment for cops in the cops threads and do feel the system needs to change , but by and large Law Enforcement here is still far more restrained and accountable than Law Enforcement in the Gulf.

Keep in mind in the Gulf we are talking about the level of immunity of regular citizens while you bring up Law Enforcement. It's not like White Americans can just go around abusing non Whites and expect to get away with it.
If Saudi Arabs regard Filipinos as subhuman then do American Whites regard Law Enforcement as superhuman? Do Saudi Arabs also regard Law Enforcement as superhuman?

Those aren't generalizations, though. The Saudi thing is the rule, not the exception, somthing that seems to be flying right over your head.

You are really and truely clueless as to how the Arab world operates, aren't you?
Given the choice of being employed by a Saudi Arab for one year or being incarcerated in an American prison for one year, which would you choose?

TS since your MO is to ask a bunch of silly questions, how about this, would you rather live in the United States or in Saudi Arabia? If you have a daughter, sister, wife, any female relative or whatever, where would you rather she live, the US or Saudi Arabia?

TS since your MO is to ask a bunch of silly questions, how about this, would you rather live in the United States or in Saudi Arabia? If you have a daughter, sister, wife, any female relative or whatever, where would you rather she live, the US or Saudi Arabia?

ha! Touche.

I would choose to live in the US over Saudi Arabia, and I would recommend my female relatives to choose to live in the US rather than Saudi Arabia.

Will you answer my question now:
Given the choice of being employed by a Saudi Arab for one year or being incarcerated in an American prison for one year, which would you choose?

Back