Batman: The Killing Joke (Rate the Movie)

If you have seen BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: July 10, 2015

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Coming as Animated Film in 2016

The-Killing-Joke-071015-Dragonlord.jpg

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke. Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

There's no word yet on casting -- the film itself was just announced by Bruce Timm at the Comic Con International: San Diego panel for Justice League: Gods and Monsters -- but veteran Joker actor Mark Hamill has said in the past that he would un-retire the character for an adaptation of The Killing Joke...

Recently, the controversy around how Barbara Gordon was treated and how the violence against her is seen by many as sexualized boiled over when a Joker 75th Anniversary variant cover for Batgirl depicted him in the clothes he wore in the book, menacing a helpless Batgirl. The variant was ultimately pulled and not published at the request of the artist. Other animated films announced for 2016 - Batman: Bad Blood featuring Batwoman, and Justice League vs Titans.

DC Entertainment Announces 'Batman: The Killing Joke' as the Next Animated Film

Update: July 10, 2015

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Coming as Animated Film in 2016

The-Killing-Joke-071015-Dragonlord.jpg

Following the release of Justice League: Gods and Monsters, the next DC Entertainment animated feature will be Batman: The Killing Joke. Due out in 2016, the story will be an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed original graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. In the comics, The Joker escapes Arkham, shoots and paralyzes Barbara Gordon in order to terrorize her father, Gotham City Police Commissioner Jim Gordon.

There's no word yet on casting -- the film itself was just announced by Bruce Timm at the Comic Con International: San Diego panel for Justice League: Gods and Monsters -- but veteran Joker actor Mark Hamill has said in the past that he would un-retire the character for an adaptation of The Killing Joke...

Recently, the controversy around how Barbara Gordon was treated and how the violence against her is seen by many as sexualized boiled over when a Joker 75th Anniversary variant cover for Batgirl depicted him in the clothes he wore in the book, menacing a helpless Batgirl. The variant was ultimately pulled and not published at the request of the artist. Other animated films announced for 2016 - Batman: Bad Blood featuring Batwoman, and Justice League vs Titans.

DC Entertainment Announces 'Batman: The Killing Joke' as the Next Animated Film

Awesome!!!!!!!! and Justice League vs Titans sounds great too

DC animated is excellent, maybe if the people doing animated just went live action with their movies it could work

DC animated is excellent, maybe if the people doing animated just went live action with their movies it could work

They should have total control over DC, not John's.

Bruce Timm and Paul Dini's DC could contend with Marvel.

Update: July 27, 2015

Mark Hamill to Voice the Joker in BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

Mark-Hamill-Batman-Killing-Joke-Dragonlord.jpg

For those who don't know, Mark Hamill voiced the character in Batman: The Animated Series and in the Batman: Arkham video games. When the actor was asked on Twitter if he would get to voice Joker for The Killing Joke, he responded: "You're not the only one w/ fingers crossed!"

Shortly after the story, sources reached out to Collider and confirmed that Hamill has already recorded his voice acting for the film, which is due out direct-to-video next year.

This is fantastic news. Hamill’s portrayal of the Joker is on par with Heath Ledger in terms of tapping into what makes the character so horrific and charismatic. And like Ledger, Hamill is unrecognizable in the voice. He plays it so melodiously and knows how to wrap the character’s words in whimsy and in menace. It’s only fitting that he should be the one to help tell one of the Joker’s most famous tales.

Exclusive: Mark Hamill to Voice The Joker for Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Film

agreed. young justice was epic. too bad they didn't add another season

Update: October 10, 2015

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Animated Movie Could Be Rated R

Batman-Killing-Joke-101015-Dragonlord.jpg

During the Batman: Bad Blood First Look Panel at 2015 New York Comic Con on Friday night, director James Tucker dropped some potentially exciting news. When an audience member asked about the shift from initially making DC Animated films about famous comics to doing original stories, Tucker answered:

“At first, we were pretty much told that was what we were going to do, is to do a new universe thing coming off the New 52. But having said that, I actually really enjoy what we’re doing. And also we do three movies a year, two of them are in continuity and one is an adaptation, or an original, or whatever we want it to be."

"So we still do adaptations. Killing Joke is next year. So you’re kind of getting the best of both worlds, because there’s a finite amount of adaptations really. So doing one a year as opposed to three a year is probably going to make them last a little longer.”

In regards to Killing Joke, Tucker revealed, “And you know, they said we could make it a R.” Tucker quickly added, “Not saying that’s what it will be, but we’ll see.”

Batman: The Killing Joke Could Be An R-Rated Animated Movie Says Director

Update: January 9, 2016

More Story Added to BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE; Premieres July 2016

Batman-Killing-Joke-011016-Dragonlord.jpg

The next animated feature from DC Entertainment will be Batman: The Killing Joke, an adaptation of the controversial and acclaimed 1988 graphic novel by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland. Today at Wizard World Comic Con New Orleans, Executive Producer Bruce Timm (Batman: The Animated Series) revealed that they've had to add story to make The Killing Joke a feature-length film and when it will debut.

"The one big difference about it, as opposed to those other projects (The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & Part 2), is The Killing Joke... the source material is really not long enough to make an entire feature film out of," Timm told ConTV. "So we actually had to add a lot more story to it. Which is tricky. But I think we came up with a really good solution on how that worked."

He added, "We're actually going to be premiering it at San Diego Comic-Con." SDCC runs from July 21–24.

Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Film To Add To Story, Premiere In July

Update: February 21, 2016

Joker Concept Art Revealed for BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

killingjoke-170964.jpg

In October, producer James Tucker got the New York Comic Con crowd excited when he informed them that DC Entertainment had given him the okay to make Batman: The Killing Joke an R-rated film. However, he cautioned that an R-rating was an option, not a given.

Phil Bourassa, a conceptual artist that has worked on numerous DC animated projects, shared character designs of The Joker that he created for Bruce Timm's first attempt at an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke. Along with the artwork, Bourassa posted a message which seems to suggest that Batman: The Killing Joke could be rated R.

"In 2009 I started working on an animated adaptation of The Killing Joke under the supervision of legendary Animation artist Bruce Timm," Bourassa wrote. "Two weeks into the project we were told to stop development because Watchmen had underperformed at the box office and WB had lost faith in R-rated superhero movies. Happy to say that you guys are gonna finally get your animated Killing Joke adaptation in 2016. Apparently enough money has been made from superhero movies and adaptations of comics of every stripe that it now transcends the previously assumed limitations of the genre. It's a good time to be a comic geek!"

Is Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Movie Rated R? Joker Concept Art!

I was just watching this week's episode of Screen Junkie's Movie Fights and they were talking about the concept of an R-rated Batman movie. At the end of the 'fight' they mentioned DC is adapting The Killing Joke into an animated feature with Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy providing voicework.

I got a chill up my spine thinking how awesome this has got to be.

Please, DC, don't fuck this up.

I was just watching this week's episode of Screen Junkie's Movie Fights and they were talking about the concept of an R-rated Batman movie. At the end of the 'fight' they mentioned DC is adapting The Killing Joke into an animated feature with Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy providing voicework.

I got a chill up my spine thinking how awesome this has got to be.

Please, DC, don't fuck this up.
They got the big guys in. Hopefully they do a fleshed out knightfall

They are doing the right thing for the wrong reason. People are already cautioning against making r rated film as a fad.

An R-Rated Animated Batman movie would be fucking awesome. I hope they get Kevin Conroy to voice Batman and Mark Hamill for Joker.

An R-Rated Animated Batman movie would be fucking awesome. I hope they get Kevin Conroy to voice Batman and Mark Hamill for Joker.
it is already confirmed they both are doing this.

Update: March 14, 2016

First Official Image from BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE; Voice Cast Confirmed

Mark Hamill has shared the first image Batman: The Killing Joke. Hamill tweeted the first still from the upcoming animated adaptation of Alan Moore and Brian Bolland's graphic novel three times, each with a quote from the graphic novel and an additional word, eventually spelling out "The Killing Joke."

CBR News confirms that Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill will reprise their roles as Batman and the Joker for the film. In addition, Tara Strong will voice Barbara Gordon/Batgirl and Ray Wise will voice Commissioner Gordon.

CdiRvr0W0AACw0v.jpg

Batman: The Killing Joke Animated Movie Starring Kevin Conroy & Mark Hamill First Look Revealed

Just started reading this last night. It's pretty dark, I had to make myself out it down and go to bed. I haven't read much batman stuff but this seems very different than other batman stuff I read.

Is this going to look and sound like the cartoon we all watched in the 90s ? If so count me in

Is this going to look and sound like the cartoon we all watched in the 90s ? If so count me in
No, The Killing Joke is going to be grittier, darker and probably plays more like a twisted psychological thriller than the 90s animated series.

Back