Batman: The Killing Joke (Rate the Movie)

If you have seen BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
The first half of the movie with Batgirl was pointless. Them marketing it as an R movie as well was weird wasn't that graphic. The ending was the worst didn't have the same effect on me as the comic did oh well. Almost every other animated move they have done has been spectacular so they were bound to drop the ball eventually . Looking forward to Justice League Dark quite a bit.

It is good as the source material. The Killing Joke is a good arc but not a great arc. On top of that, the heaviness of Alan Moore is something that is difficult to translate to the a cartoon or movie. The cartoon of DKR was great and the only thing that I would have added is Batman's internal dialogue which was in the graphic novel. There were a few lines in that like when he was shooting at the mutants from the tank and he says "They are rubber bullets. I promise." that would have made that scene so much better.

I wish someone would put together a cartoon on Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. That is like the best kept secret from the public.

Last edited:
It is good as the source material. The Killing Joke is a good arc but not a great arc. On top of that, the heaviness of Alan Moore is something that is difficult to translate to the a cartoon or movie. The cartoon of DKR was great and the only thing that I would have added is Batman's internal dialogue which was in the graphic novel. There were a few lines in that like when he was shooting at the mutants from the take and he says "They are rubber bullets. I promise." that would have made that scene so much better.

I wish someone would put together a cartoon on Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing. That is like the best kept secret from the public.

You know, I was a huge fan when I was younger, and then I completely forgot he existed. I used to love that book.

It is good as the source material. The Killing Joke is a good arc but not a great arc. On top of that, the heaviness of Alan Moore is something that is difficult to translate to the a cartoon or movie. The cartoon of DKR was great and the only thing that I would have added is Batman's internal dialogue which was in the graphic novel. There were a few lines in that like when he was shooting at the mutants from the take and he says "They are rubber bullets. I promise." that would have made that scene so much better.

His swamp thing run was great. Also enjoyed snyders and millars.

I didn't love the first 30 minutes or so, but it picked up towards the end and I thought it was pretty good overall. The whole Paris Franz storyline seemed kind of pointless but i guess it was establishing the relationship between Batman and Batgirl. The ending was kind of cool, I guess the Joker's last joke was a metaphor for he and Bats' relationship?

I'm onto The Dark Knight Returns

Was good, not great.

Not as amazing as UtRH, but not as bad as the one where damian beats Deathstroke's ass. Yes im still salty about that one.

I don't mind a good change to the source material here and there but that wasn't the case with this movie.

the animation looked out of date, and kind of clunky.

Worth to watch only if you didn't read the comic, but the readers should stay away from this in order not to lose a good experience.

I'll look more into it. I've been catching up on the Batman animated movies so I should run into it soon.

i'ts pretty universally thought that the movies including Damian (Son of Batman, Bad Blood, JL vs teen titans and Batman vs Robin) are the worst of the DC animated movies. Plenty of material for you to watch, you're not missing anything in terms of story or characters.

Just saw it, didn't even know it existed until I was scrolling through HBO on demand. TKJ is one of my favorite graphic novels.

I was expecting pure shit, so I guess I enjoyed it more than many. The 1st half hour was abysmal, and I was confused as to what the fuck was going on because it wasn't TKJ. But once it started with the actual adaptation, I was surprised how faithful it was, and enjoyed it.

Obviously the graphic novel is better, but they got a lot of things right, and it was just fun to see, to revisit a favorite graphic novel of mine as a moving cartoon.

And it is kind of funny that the very best Joker isn't any of the big-name actors on the silver screen, but rather a voiceover on cartoons. Mark Hamill owns that role.

They botched the delivery on the final joke at the end, and I had to erase the first 30 minutes from my memory to get into the rest, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot overall.

Just started reading this last night. It's pretty dark, I had to make myself out it down and go to bed. I haven't read much batman stuff but this seems very different than other batman stuff I read.
It is dark. Some of the most twisted, mean, brash, and best.
I have the original, still.
Only things I still keep from my childhood. And my dads.

And it is kind of funny that the very best Joker isn't any of the big-name actors on the silver screen, but rather a voiceover on cartoons. Mark Hamill owns that role.

Agreed.

He did a "Why so serious" once for a crowd, followed by a signature maniacal laughter. Chilling. Hamill may be Luke, but he made a more significant impact on many people by doing voice over for Joker.

Also, he seems to be really into Joker, exploring the character and it's depth

I'll just leave this here.

Just saw it, didn't even know it existed until I was scrolling through HBO on demand. TKJ is one of my favorite graphic novels.

I was expecting pure shit, so I guess I enjoyed it more than many. The 1st half hour was abysmal, and I was confused as to what the fuck was going on because it wasn't TKJ. But once it started with the actual adaptation, I was surprised how faithful it was, and enjoyed it.

Obviously the graphic novel is better, but they got a lot of things right, and it was just fun to see, to revisit a favorite graphic novel of mine as a moving cartoon.

They botched the delivery on the final joke at the end, and I had to erase the first 30 minutes from my memory to get into the rest, but I still enjoyed it quite a lot overall.
Just watched this and a few other of the DC animated movies over the weekend.
This was pretty much my take as well. Not nearly as good as the read was, but they did do some good stuff.

I also watched 'Batman and Harley' last night, and that was god awful. They used a terrible voice for Harley, and the tone was just all over the place. The writing seemed like it was meant for teens, but it was also very high in sexual content. (Not actually showing sex, but it's talked about a bit)

lol Paris Franz. that was so stupid

Back