Batman: The Killing Joke (Rate the Movie)

If you have seen BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
It ends abruptly. People in the theater who were not familiar with the book were like wtf. There is a mid credit scene involving Barbara.
It's already on YT, it's pretty much identical to comic, also leaves it up for interpretation.

They should have done the animation to match Brian Bolland's style

Lol it's not nerd rage. I don't mind that they added some fluff, it's just how they went about it. It's just so bad xD Batgirl is cool gal but idky we need her having a weird ass relationship with Batman? Surely they could have come up with something better than this.

Tho lul'd when she called him n was going off, and he was like "later" or whatever n hung up. Giving no fucks lmaooo. Cold.

He still a cringey ass emo fukk tho.

They added the relationship to increase the impact of her crippling to the audience. It wasn't that good but didn't take away from the film to me. I didn't really consider Bats that emo in this. He's always been protective of his sidekicks and he knew Batgirl was getting cocky. I didn't have a problem with Bats hitting it either. Barbara looked to be college age.

They added the relationship to increase the impact of her crippling to the audience. It wasn't that good but didn't take away from the film to me. I didn't really consider Bats that emo in this. He's always been protective of his sidekicks and he knew Batgirl was getting cocky. I didn't have a problem with Bats hitting it either. Barbara looked to be college age.
I get why they did it. It just didn't work for me tbh.

Will admit she looked a lot older in it tho. Did they age her up for this? Idk. Even her job/colleague relationship seemed like something you'd expect from somebody in early twenties.

I've never gone out of my way to watch a superhero animated feature - just not really my thing. But all this hype about The Killing Joke had me considering it in this case. Sounds like it's disappointing and pretty average. Guess I'll try to find one that's universally praised and check it out at some point.

What was that thing at the end with Batgirl looking at the screen in a secret room

I had this on pre-order, kissing by some of the comments here I should cancel it yeah?

I had this on pre-order, kissing by some of the comments here I should cancel it yeah?
Eh. Just because some people here don't like it doesn't mean you shouldn't watch for yourself and make your own judgements. You may like it, maybe not, maybe you'll only like parts of it. Meh.

The Dark Knight Returns spoiled me

Left feeling unimpressed

I've never gone out of my way to watch a superhero animated feature - just not really my thing. But all this hype about The Killing Joke had me considering it in this case. Sounds like it's disappointing and pretty average. Guess I'll try to find one that's universally praised and check it out at some point.
The red hood, year one, the dark knight returns are all amazing

My girl loved it. She was pretty much in awe the whole time she watched it. I thought it was pretty good without having known the comic. I didn't think anything was "weird" but I can see no what you all are talking about in regards to changes.

I get the changes, don't think it was really needed. Still good overall.

Here just to say prologue sucked and Batman and Batgirls angry sex scene was super creepy.

kind of jarring for me how the early Batgirl/Paris Franz stuff really had no connection to the later stuff other than to establish Batgirl as legit and show the relationship between her and Batman. Could have been like two separate episodes of a TV show.

But the sex scene was a bit...odd. Didn't see that coming.

Hamill as Joker is always great. I'm not really familiar with the Killing Joke as a story but I thought the whole, "one bad day" anyone could become a psycho thing was a great setup but not so great execution. Joker's house of horrors carnival was creepy, but felt like certain things just were introduced with no payoff. Batman on trial? That went nowhere.

Ending was pretty surreal, but in a good way. I just couldn't buy for a moment the notion that Batman would be like, let me rehabilitate you to the Joker after he pulled all that shit. I mean the extent of what he did would make him pretty much irredeemable in virtually anyone's book on Batman isn't some saint who's looking to forgive.

I guess the whole point was Batman saw some of himself in the Joker and was therefore more sympathetic, but I still don't buy the restraint shown at the end.

The animated portion devoted to the actual graphic novel was fabulous, especially hearing Conroy and Hamill deliver the lines. The Batgirl stuff was just bizarre though and just didn’t meld with the original material. Hamill is the holy grail of Jokers (animated or otherwise). It really does stand as a good philosophical quandary of what it means to be Batman and The Joker. You could see the dialogue in those moments really shine through. The "Memories" monologue was my favorite part.

It wasn't a good movie. They really dropped the ball.

There are a lot of really good ones, with better plots and acting than the live action movies.

Back