Batman: The Killing Joke (Rate the Movie)

If you have seen BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
WHEN THEY SHOW KENVIN CONROY LAUGHING IN THE SNEAK PEAK HAS TO BE THE ENDING LAUGH

It doesn't really seem like there's enough material for an 80minute movie if they don't pad the story somewhat.

Can't wait to hear Batman dropping f-bombs and see Batgirl's titties.

From the trailer It seems they will add some scenes with Batgirl.

They will probably add a couple of action scenes since the book only has one at the end.

Besides TDKR, the past 10 or so animated movies have sucked. Don't like the new animation and crappy voice acting with stories that are half assed.

I liked Assault on Arkham.

But the rest of the movies that share some continuity (son of Batman, Batman vs Robin, red blood and the 2 JLA movies) have been so-so.

Looking forward to this one. Saw DKR recently and was surprised by how dark the Joker portions were. This should be good.

I'm glad Hamill has made a respectable name for himself as a voice actor. A lot of the movies he had to make to pay the bills after Return of the Jedi were just humiliating.

As far as trailers go, that's really bad. Some random animation and random music put together. Guess they wanted to cash in on people reacting well to Hammill and a great storyline. Up your game, DC animation.

I liked Assault on Arkham.

But the rest of the movies that share some continuity (son of Batman, Batman vs Robin, red blood and the 2 JLA movies) have been so-so.

the Robin ones are bad. JLA: War was good (IMO). Red Hood was the best.

This animated stuff just really doesn't interest me. To me it looks like complete crap, I don't know why they couldn't just make a film of this story instead.

Update: April 14, 2016

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Animated Movie Receives R-Rating

161gtcn.png

Batman: The Killing Joke isn’t kidding around. Warner Bros’. direct-to-video animated film based on the notorious Alan Moore comic has been rated R, the studio’s home entertainment division tells EW exclusively.

The Killing Joke marks the first film in the DC Universe Original Movie franchise to receive an R rating, and the second Batman movie to do so. (The extended home-video version of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice was the first.)

Starring Kevin Conroy as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne, Mark Hamill as the Joker, and Tara Strong as Batgirl/Barbara Gordon, The Killing Joke is an origin story that finds the Clown Prince of Crime taunting the Dark Knight by capturing and torturing Batgirl. The original comic was published in 1988 and remains polarizing, with some hailing it as a definitive Joker story and others criticizing it as misogynistic.

“From the start of production, we encouraged producer Bruce Timm and our team at Warner Bros. Animation to remain faithful to the original story — regardless of the eventual MPAA rating,” said Sam Register, president of Warner Bros. Animation & Warner Digital Series, in a statement. “The Killing Joke is revered by the fans, particularly for its blunt, often-shocking adult themes and situations. We felt it was our responsibility to present our core audience — the comics-loving community — with an animated film that authentically represented the tale they know all too well.”

Batman: The Killing Joke animated movie receives R rating — Entertainment Weekly exclusive

Update: April 26, 2016

First Official Trailer for BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

Update: May 4, 2016

Release Date and Blu-ray Cover Art for BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE

71p57a.jpg

The Batman: The Killing Joke release date has been officially revealed by Amazon, which puts the upcoming Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment adaptation as being available on Blu-ray and DVD on August 2.

As was revealed earlier this month, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has accepted the MPAA’s R rating for the upcoming film, choosing to remain true to the landmark DC Comics graphic novel’s violent, controversial story, and making the film the first non-PG/PG-13 rated movie in the nine-year history of the DC Universe Original Movie franchise.

Batman: The Killing Joke, one of the best-selling graphic novels in history, tells the tale of The Joker’s origin story – from his humble beginnings as a struggling comic, to his fateful encounter with Batman that changes both of their lives forever. Actors Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their Batman: The Animated Series roles as Batman and The Joker, respectively.

Written by Alan Moore and drawn by Brian Bolland, Batman: The Killing Joke was published in 1988 and is widely considered to be one of the best comic book stories of all time. The graphic novel offers a version of the Joker’s origin story and follows as the Clown Prince of Crime terrorizes Commissioner Jim Gordon and ultimate paralyzes his daughter, Barbara Gordon. Although the story was not originally supposed to take place in the regular DC Comics continuity, The Killing Joke wound up setting in motion the events that would lead to Barbara Gordon becoming Oracle.

The animated adaptation of Batman: The Killing Joke movie, which is expected to debut on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD later this year, is executive produced by Bruce Timm and will retell the classic tale. It will also feature an original 15-minute prologue that helps set up the story, giving even longtime fans of the story something new to look forward to.

Batman: The Killing Joke Release Date Announced

I don't get the hate for the animation style. I feel that it's okay not too much of a departure from the graphic novel.

I don't get the hate for the animation style. I feel that it's okay not too much of a departure from the graphic novel.

I saw the trailer the other day and thought that the animation looked cheap. Not up to par with the usual DC animated stuff. Not a fan at all.

Update: June 2, 2016

Why BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Was Delayed Twice

Batman-Killing-Joke-060216a-Dragonlord.jpg

One of the most famous comicbook stories of all time, The Killing Joke is coming to screens - not the big, silver kind, but small screens in the form of an R-rated animated movie. The comic, by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland, was intended as a one-off tale, but wound up influencing the DC Comics universe for decades anyway (including massive changes to specific characters).

Initially, one of the stars of the film had some hesitation in adapting it. Mark Hamill, who has now voiced the Joker in numerous projects for television and videogames for 24 years, told Empire in a preview feature on the film that he's "a Killing Joke purist" and wanted to do a very different take on things.

"When they first talked about it, I said, 'The only way we can do this is as a book on tape so that we honor every comma, every word, every letter, every syllable of Alan Moore's script. We can add music and special effects to enhance it.' They kind of said, 'What are you talking about? Nobody is doing this as a book on tape. It's not commercially viable for us to do it that way. See if you can get the rights and record it in your basement or something if that's what you want to do. This story has to be expanded.'"

The story, then, sees brand-new Barbara Gordon material, helping to better establish Batgirl in this universe before she experiences terrible trauma.

Batman-Killing-Joke-Batgirl-060216-Dragonlord.jpg

Once recognized that they needed more material in order to make a feature-length film, producer Bruce Timm said they "took that opportunity to basically tell a Batgirl story, which we don't often get a chance to do these days. And it was great, because we could spend more time with her as a character and get to understand what she's all about and how she's similar to Batman in some ways, and really different in others." Their reasoning for crime-fighting, and even how they do it, is very different, and gets showcased here.

That does underline that the rating for this film, the first such rating for a DC Animation project, is there for a reason.

"Even that surprised me, how edgy the Batgirl material was," Hamill said. "It really isn'tfor kids. I hope people understand when they say it's R-rated, they mean it."

When the story first came up as an animation possibility years ago, WB was going to adapt it as only a "shorter movie at a lower price point" in case the R rating meant reduced sales, Timm revealed. "But right around the time we were ramping up, the Watchmen movie was released and underperformed. Everybody kind of took a step back and said, 'Well, maybe the time's not right for an R-rated superhero movie, so put it on the shelf.'"

The Killing Joke movie idea came up again a few years later, but gun violence in the real world, associated with Batman, pushed back production once more.

"It came up again and we even had started production with character designs and stuff. But then that horrible shooting at the Dark Knight Rises theater happened and everybody got nervous again about it, because of gun violence, so we put it back on the shelf," Timm said. Finally, when it came up a third time, they figured out how to do it.

'Batman: The Killing Joke' Was Delayed Twice Due to 'Watchmen' Underperforming and Gun Violence Incidents

Update: June 8, 2016

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE Getting One-Night Theatrical Release

Batman-Killing-Joke-060816-Dragonlord.jpg

Batman: The Killing Joke, the much-anticipated animated adaptation of Brian Bolland and Alan Moore's seminal comicbook story, is getting a special theatrical release. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment is teaming up with Fathom Events for a one-night-only release in movie theaters across the country on Monday, July 25, 2016 in two showings at 7:30pm and 10pm local time. Remember, The Killing Joke is rated R, and standard cinema restrictions will apply.

The screenings hit just three days after the film's world premiere at San Diego Comic-Con on July 22, and one day before the movie is available in Digital HD on July 26, so fans who can't attend Comic-Con still have the opportunity to see the movie before it's officially released. There will be special intros and outros presented along with the film that are exclusive to the theatrical release, as well. The movie hits Blu-Ray and DVD on August 2, 2016.

Tickets for “Batman: The Killing Joke” can be purchased online beginning Friday, June 17 by visiting www.FathomEvents.com or at participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in select movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

'Batman: The Killing Joke' Animated Movie Will Play in Theaters for One Night Only

I feel like they should have gone with the BTAS art style:

BTAS%2004.jpg

batman-the-animated-series-1.jpg
BATMAN-batman-the-animated-series-7016778-540-405.jpg

The-Cat-And-The-Claw-Pt-1-batman-the-animated-series-16815872-540-405.jpg

68d0007aa5a338108c644acbaa912473d9f7e004_hq.jpg
the-batman-superman-movie-screenshot-2.jpg
108787-batman-beyond-ill-break-you-in-tow.gif
tumblr_m83hiyuAhY1qdcfc3o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Wouldn't say 'shitty,' but certainly of a lower quality.
yeah, it almost looks like a fan made video. like something you'd see posted on youtube. i liked the art style from the old cartoon series. i thought that was pretty well done

Update: July 7, 2016

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE to Be Shown on Over 1,000 U.S. Cinemas

Batman-Killing-Joke-070716-Dragonlord.jpg

Due to overwhelming fan demand and sold out theaters in major markets, more than 300 theater locations have been added for the big-screen debut of Batman: The Killing Joke, which will now show on over 1,000 U.S. cinemas, making this the widest rollout for any event in Fathom Events’ history.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment will release Batman: The Killing Joke on DVD and Blu-ray on August 2. You can pre-order your own copy by clicking here.

The film will be available on Digital HD July 23 and will screen in select cinemas nationwide for one night only on Monday, July 25, 2016. The R-rated animated film will screen at 7:30 p.m. and 10:00 p.m. local time at theaters. You can find a full list of participating theaters and buy your tickets by clicking here.

In addition to the animated feature, audience members will get to experience a special introduction from Hamill, plus a never-before-seen documentary about the actor and his passion for this project. The event also includes a special behind-the-scenes look at how the Joker’s memorable, yet disturbing, song and dance number was recreated for this feature.

Record Breaking Batman: The Killing Joke Theatrical Release Adds 300 Theaters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back