Band of Brothers or The Wire?

there is absolutely nothing wrong with cliffhangers if the rest of the show is rounded and well written. the cliffhangers in breaking bad serve to up the already prevalent intensity. not to mention, some shows are going for suspense, so lets not hold that against them. there is a difference between that, and adding suspense to make up for bad writing, acting, or character/plot development.

But every aspect of Breaking Bads writing is terrible. In fact Breaking Bad has all of the things you mentioned. The way the characters interact could not be more absurd. I can never relate to a single decision any character on that show makes.... and then there's cliffhangers.

Nevermind the both of them just watch Mutant X, one of the greatest tv shows of all time...of all time

Band of Brothers. You'll be a better person after watching it.

acting.gif

Brilliant. Love this guy.

The Wire was a masterpiece no doubt about it. BOB was fantastic but look at the fucking source material it had!

I like Band of Brothers a lot, but it's not quite up there to be able to compete with the best dramas of the last decade. It's simply too much awesome competition.

As for critizism of The Wire, it often falls below quite a lot of other high quality shows when it comes to both acting and exploration of individual characters' development. e.g. Sopranos is a far better character study, but The Wire had an immense depth to the city it portrayed, to the wealth of characters we followed. It had an air of authenticity beyond almost any other fictional show, it almost never let drama get in the way of verisimilitude, and it's ambition when it came to explain the individuals as prisoners of the societal structures they inhabited was unprecedented. It completely blew me away, it greatly fits the way I see the world working, and I love it for it. For these reasons, I like it more than anything I've ever seen, and I think it's the greatest show ever made.

Later, I read an interview with David Simon. He talked about "Paths of Glory" which is very fitting for the theme, and said that he was uninterested in Shakespearian drama, and wanted Greek tragedy, where he did not as much examine his character's souls as presenting characters being trapped by the fates and the gods, largely unable to break free of their shackles. Some elements of the show are merely servicable (though almost never bad), but the tings it really excels in sets it apart.

/panegyric slobbering fanboyism

The Wire may feel real but let's nor forget Bands of Brothers was real.

Plus, McNulty staffing bodies and the newspaper storyline was way too out there

The Wire may feel real but let's nor forget Bands of Brothers was real.
It's a dramatization based on 50-year old witness accounts and a book written by a historian who was rather uninterested in presenting any but the testimony of a select few people. It's a highly authentic show, but actual real doesn't happen on dramatized TV.

I rate it highly, but if I'd have to pick one single-perspective dramatized historic war series, I would pick Generation Kill, even though I'm far more partial to World War II in general. We are so much closer to the event, and it's really noticeable in the texture of the show.

The bodies in the 5th of The Wire strained verisimilitude more than anything else in the show, but I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at it if done in most other series (though it would still be weak, just not as surprising). The newspaper storyline was weaker than most others, but not really way out there. Both plagiarism and fabrication happens rather often. Anyway, it's still only the fifth season.

I just watched the first episode of "The Wire". I'll definitely watch more, but if it were not for the hype it gets here I'm not sure I'd be all that excited to keep watching.

I just watched the first episode of "The Wire". I'll definitely watch more, but if it were not for the hype it gets here I'm not sure I'd be all that excited to keep watching.
It comes afterwards, like a hangover. Or not, depending on personal preferences.

Give it time, it took me 3 attempts to get through episode 1, I've since watched the entire show 3 times.

Honestly, I felt the same way. But now after having watched the entire series online it's in my top two or three shows ever.

I was also compelled to buy the box set after finishing it, and I really don't know what greater compliment I could pay to a show beyond that.

It comes afterwards, like a hangover. Or not, depending on personal preferences.

Give it time, it took me 3 attempts to get through episode 1, I've since watched the entire show 3 times.

Honestly, I felt the same way. But now after having watched the entire series online it's in my top two or three shows ever.

I was also compelled to buy the box set after finishing it, and I really don't know what greater compliment I could pay to a show beyond that.

I went to wiki and read the synopsis of the first episode shortly after watching it to help with the names and faces. I just finished the second episode and I definitely will keep going.

Heavy use of cliffhangers is the first sign of weak writers or aiming for a stupid audience. I cannot watch Breaking Bad or Homeland.

Excess of any kind of storytelling element is a weakness. Some shows can do cliffhangers very well, some can't. The reason some cliffhangers suck isn't because cliffhangers suck, it's because the writers aren't capable of doing it in a fashion that adds to the show.

In Breaking Bad, cliffhangers add to the show. In Battlestar Galactica (Best usage of cliffhangers period), they add to the show. In The Shield, same deal.

The only time cliffhangers piss me off is when they're resolved by some Dues Ex Machina nonsense right at the beginning of the following episode

Hard for me to decide, its like comparing Filet Mignon from two upscale restaurants.

The wire (for me) started slow but about half way through the first season it hit its stride and is easily one of my favorite shows of all time. BoB is just fantastic from the start, but I love WWII and it's a fantastic portrayal.

Excess of any kind of storytelling element is a weakness. Some shows can do cliffhangers very well, some can't. The reason some cliffhangers suck isn't because cliffhangers suck, it's because the writers aren't capable of doing it in a fashion that adds to the show.

In Breaking Bad, cliffhangers add to the show. In Battlestar Galactica (Best usage of cliffhangers period), they add to the show. In The Shield, same deal.

Maybe but I found them over used in BB and the writing weak. Homeland is the worst I've ever seen though.

The only time cliffhangers piss me off is when they're resolved by some Dues Ex Machina nonsense right at the beginning of the following episode

Could not agree more. That's why True Blood lost me, the whole season would build towards some impossible situation only to be resolved by some magic bs from left field.

Breaking Bad got a little carried away but I think it's a quality show. I don't want to knock it too much. I think Boardwalk uses suspense the best out of the currently airing shows. It built everything up slowly throughout the season and ended the last few episodes with suspense rather than having it throughout.

Breaking Bad got a little carried away but I think it's a quality show. I don't want to knock it too much. I think Boardwalk uses suspense the best out of the currently airing shows. It built everything up slowly throughout the season and ended the last few episodes with suspense rather than having it throughout.

So true, Boardwalk gave a masterclass in suspense this season, there was a few episodes where every scene Nucky seemed on the verge of grabbing the nearest sharp instrument and going to town on the nearest person, he was all over the place when he was dealing with that actress.

Back