new Movies and TV series have no "soul"

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm watching Masters of the Air. It's a limited series by the same people who made Band of Brothers and the Pacific. I'm 2 episodes in and I can't even pay attention to it. It's been awhile since I've watched a movie that really hits me. What's going on with these new movies and TV shows? They have no soul.

I'm watching Masters of the Air. It's a limited series by the same people who made Band of Brothers and the Pacific. I'm 2 episodes in and I can't even pay attention to it. It's been awhile since I've watched a movie that really hits me. What's going on with these new movies and TV shows? They have no soul.
I agree.

Shame, I was gonna watch it once the series wraps up. I recently watched Argylle and that movie made me feel that way even though it had elaborate action scenes and famous casts it just wasn't that good.

Because a lot of these new shows are remakes or leveraging proven IP, i.e. no creativity, and we all know clones and gingers have no soul

The tick had some soul it is an amazon prime show but they fumbled that show by not giving it a 3 and 4th season.
The-Tick-Saison-2-Amazon.jpg

Last edited:
I tend to agree. But then again, maybe we’re just getting old.
We don’t “get it.” It is entirely possible.

I think you could argue that "high end TV" becoming more like cinema has been somewhat at the cost of personality, I mean its obviously possible for cinema to have personality but I think there is obviously the potential to sell things on a slicker production.

I said the same thing about The Force Awakens when it came out. It was a Star Wars film with no soul.
But people on Sherdog kept praising it as if it was better than the prequels.

The Last Jedi came out after that, and people were still praising The Force Awakens. I don't get it.

I said the same thing about The Force Awakens when it came out. It was a Star Wars film with no soul.
But people on Sherdog kept praising it as if it was better than the prequels.

The Last Jedi came out after that, and people were still praising The Force Awakens. I don't get it.
They all sucked ass

Funny, a buddy and I have said the same about video games. Lotta soulless content generally, I'm not sure if it's ramped up because of the internets or because the corporate world has become more influential and parasitic. Maybe both. I'm very out of touch with most things so I've no strong opinion, more just reading the temperature.

There's still stuff being made with soul though.

check out Slow Horses. Maybe the best show that is currently running.

Agree, it has become assembly line bullshit after the streaming services have taken over.

However, check out Dune 2. That film was worth the watch.

I read recently that many of the talented writers in Hollywood were let go in the name of DEI. The new replacement writers are not as talented. As a result people are shunning the new shows and watching older ones instead.

Why Old TV Shows Are Beating Hollywood’s Billion Dollar DEI Machine​

Directors, writers and actors hired to fill DEI quotas make garbage that turns off viewers.​

Even as streamers like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are spending almost incomprehensible amounts of money creating the movies and shows fueling the Peak TV wars, the numbers show that audiences are turning down much of that content to watch old television shows instead.

A recent article noted that according to Nielsen, which tracks viewership numbers, “the most minutes last year – more than 57 billion – were spent watching ‘Suits,’ a legal drama that premiered 12 years prior.” The show had more than double the number of viewing minutes than Netflix’s race-swapping woke usurpation fantasy, “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story.”

The Hollywood Reporter noted that the “top 10 overall titles in Nielsen’s year-end rankings are all acquired shows, the first time that’s happened in the four years streaming rankings have been publicly available.” Acquired means the library of older shows that Netflix bought after spending $17 billion on content, much of it on new shows like “Bridgerton” whose three seasons cost $168 million, only to lose to the estimated $200,000 per episode that it paid for “Suits”.

In 2023, more people were watching “NCIS” reruns than the top two streaming programs combined. And more are watching old episodes of “Friends” than either “Ted Lasso” or Star Wars’ “The Mandalorian” despite an estimated $120 million per season budget.

In 2022, Amazon had spent $500 million to buy the rights to Tolkien’s world in order to produce a woke multicultural version of “The Lord of the Rings”, but twice as many people watched “Seinfeld” reruns (not to mention “The Great British Baking Show”) as “The Rings of Power”.

After an unfathomable $238 billion in Peak TV spending that year, most viewers were comfortable dialing up old episodes of “NCIS”, “Criminal Minds”, “Gilmore Girls”, “Seinfeld”, “Supernatural”, “The Simpsons”, and “Heartland”: a show about a horse ranch set in Canada.

The trend continues with Nielsen numbers for this week showing old school shows Suits, NCIS and Grey’s Anatomy in the top 10.....

It's because everything is made on computers now days, when you rip out practical effects and interactions in real locations then you rip out the heart of a movie, can't get the same emotional development when youre standing in front of a green screen all day

watch JoJo rabbit. it'll turn you round.

It's because everything is made on computers now days, when you rip out practical effects and interactions in real locations then you rip out the heart of a movie, can't get the same emotional development when youre standing in front of a green screen all day
yeah basically the phantom menace was about normalising this stuff. not about showing us how great it is.

Back