Band of Brothers or The Wire?

I guess I'm gonna pick up The Wire. Hope it's as good as Breaking Bad, which I'm sure everyone one here will say it is.

As for TS, finish BoB. Great mini series.

If you don't want to buy the series without getting your feet wet first just do a google search for "project free TV the wire season 1."

WTF is the wire about?

It's a drama that chronicles the corruption that's rife in Baltimore. The first season starts off in a series of projects where you see the street-level sales of shit like heroin. The second season takes a look at the dock workers/longshoremen and how they work their game; the third and fourth seasons look at City Hall and the public schools systems, respectively. The fifth and final season looks at the corruption in the local police and obviously wraps everything up.

In my opinion it's some of the best TV I've ever watched.

BOB is the best thing that's ever been on tv.

If you don't want to buy the series without getting your feet wet first just do a google search for "project free TV the wire season 1."

Thanks man! Gonna get on that tonight more than likely.

My brother forced me to watch the first episode of The Wire. Promised me I'd be hooked.

I wasn't.

Flame on.

lol. The first many episodes of The Wire make it seem like another cop show. Like you're watching N.Y.P.D. Blue or something. It takes a while to get going. No one is gonna get hooked after one episode

it is objectively the greatest tv show of all time.
While both may have their flaws, subjective disadvantages and overzealous fans, they are evidently and demonstratably the top performers in their particular realm.

ibu7pg07akaQ6P.gif

I've heard so much of the wire but I can't fathom it being that good.

The discrepancy between what people say and what's actually there is so astronomically enormous that it would be funny if it wasn't so obnoxious. You should definitely check it out just to have an opinion, just try to tune out people like Keilza and assess it on its own terms, not the terms set down by its legion of fans.

Oh look,another fellate The Wire thread.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this, but at the same time, I can't stand David Schwimmer.

On the other hand, even season 5 of The Wire which in my opinion is the weakest in the series, is probably still better than just about anything else I've ever seen on TV. Ever.

Who CAN stand Schwimmer? Fortunately, they casted him in one of the more hateable characters I can remember...that's what they were going for, brah :)

Start with Band of Brothers first because you can zoom through it. Hit up The Wire next.

Both are excellent pieces of television.

After you watch The Wire, you'll look at all other television programs and find them wanting..

You've been warned.

My brother forced me to watch the first episode of The Wire. Promised me I'd be hooked.

I wasn't.

Flame on.

The show is good but not great like most people say it is.

Ronald Speirs via being more baws.

Don't listen to Bullet. Bullitt68 is to The Wire what Positive Balance was to GSP.
Just so much blind, religious, crazy hate. Read his previous posts on the subject, you'll notice a good vocabulary and a lot of strange, unsubstantiated babbling about "boring characters" .

The Wire is great TS, watch Band of Brothers first because it won't seem as good after you've watched The Wire.

Just so much blind, religious, crazy hate. Read his previous posts on the subject, you'll notice a good vocabulary and a lot of strange, unsubstantiated babbling about "boring characters"

Not drinking the Kool-Aid = Blind, religious, crazy hate?

hughes.gif

You ever wonder why all threads about The Wire amount to nothing more than drooling fans slobbering all over it? Because anything less is not only not tolerated, it's tantamount to blasphemy, and the people who aren't members of the cult don't have the patience to talk to a brick wall. Saying anything about The Wire that is less than "The Wire is the GOAT" is a sin that warrants eternal damnation. I know of no other piece of media that has yielded such an insulated cult (in every sense of that word) of intolerant and close-minded fans, which is made all the more perplexing when you consider that the show at whose alter these fans are worshiping isn't even very good, much less worthy of even being considered among the GOAT.

But hey, freedom of religion, right? You can like The Wire all you want, just so long as you leave me my little piece of land where I can spout off my craziness :wink:

hughes.gif

You ever wonder why all threads about The Wire amount to nothing more than drooling fans slobbering all over it? Because anything less is not only not tolerated, it's tantamount to blasphemy, and the people who aren't members of the cult don't have the patience to talk to a brick wall. Saying anything about The Wire that is less than "The Wire is the GOAT" is a sin that warrants eternal damnation. I know of no other piece of media that has yielded such an insulated cult (in every sense of that word) of intolerant and close-minded fans, which is made all the more perplexing when you consider that the show at whose alter these fans are worshiping isn't even very good, much less worthy of even being considered among the GOAT.

But hey, freedom of religion, right? You can like The Wire all you want, just so long as you leave me my little piece of land where I can spout off my craziness :wink:

tumblr_m8f1f7CRHI1rtc9of.gif

hughes.gif

You say that kind of thing every time, "ooh I don't like the wire and i'm persecuted for it" and then you follow that up by saying "there was no payoff anywhere in the show", "the characters were bland and boring and gave you no reason to care about them" and you also say "the acting and the writing was terrible" but provide zero examples to back up your points. You have nothing to go on but a bunch of rambling and vague statements about what you don't like in the show.

I think its cool you don't like the wire, it's not your thing and that's cool. But you've never been able to back up a single criticism with a concrete point, and it comes across as very silly.

I watched the first 6 episodes of The Wire when it came to the BBC. I tried to love it, i really did, i'd heard so much good stuff.

But damn that shit was dull as dishwater, not for me at all.

Watch Band of Brothers since its only 10 episodes equaling 10 hours like others said then dive right into the Wire.

The Wire alongside Deadwood are my two favorite shows that HBO produced

you've never been able to back up a single criticism with a concrete point, and it comes across as very silly.

If I want to watch a documentary on life on the streets, then I'll watch a documentary on life on the streets. I watch film and television because it's not a documentary, it's not "reality." The Wire conflated the notion of "realism" with the most stripped down form of dramaturgy imaginable; as such, it is immensely unsatisfying and uninteresting from a formal/narratological perspective.

What I seek in fictional narrative is emotional truth. The Wire was too focused on the representation of reality as opposed to allegorically highlighting universal truths of the human condition. Nothing was philosophically illuminating about the show, none of the themes on which it focused were anything new (city schools suck, politics is crooked, cops are run-of-the-mill bureaucracies, even the good grapple with evil, blah blah blah) and, moreover, their expression wasn't inspired or entertaining.
the Kafkaesque idea that the social machine will swallow you whole and annihilate your sense of self in its own promulgation, it was a contributing factor to the pervasive sense of boredom and monotony. You can't win, the fight is futile, it's going to end the same way no matter what. Yeah, so why am I watching?

I bring up the style and the thematic content and explain why it wasn't satisfying.

You weren't emotionally invested in D'angelo at all

Good God no, especially once he went to prison. Was there a greater certainty in that show's entire run than the stupendously obvious trajectory that storyline was going to take? And what's more, it dragged on and on and on and on until they finally killed him, to the point where, once it happened, all I felt was relief that I wouldn't have to deal with that fucking character and his stupid whiny storyline anymore.

I take up a specific example and explain why I was not moved or otherwise emotionally affected by the storytelling.

It'd be more accurate to say that no fans of The Wire have ever accepted any "concrete" explanations of mine sufficient, but that's okay, since opinions aren't scientific, they cannot be proven or disproved by recourse to data, and sitting there acting like the "objective data" is on your side and I'm just a loon trying to convince people that the world is flat is anathema to real discourse.

I did notice, however, in tracking down those old posts I quoted from above, that you offered a more thorough interrogation of my posts from that old thread on The Wire. I'll try to check in there this weekend. I actually forgot all about that thread until this one and didn't notice it had kept going.

I'm risking further flaming, but when I'm feeling more adventurous, I'll go for another run through the flames in that thread and keep from hijacking this one any more than I feel like I already have.

damn that shit was dull as dishwater, not for me at all.

tumblr_l4lpwis9fQ1qamgw7.gif

You're not alone.

Back