Bad experiences meeting UFC fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
UFC fighters have frequented the gym I go to over the years. Most of them are very nice. Some of them are just kind of OK. But a few of them seem to go out of their way to be jerks. Just super unlikable people. No names.

Paige Van zant and Her husband Austin go out of the way to be especially nice to everyone. Like, shockingly courteous. It made an impression on me.

Jon Jones and Holly Holm once came into the bar I was hanging out at. He (jones) wasn't acting weird or anything but a bunch of girls I guess he knew came in and they were all mingling. Having a good time. I thought it would be fun to buy him (jones) a round of whatever he was drinking. The bartender served it to him, turned around and pointed to me, and jones looked dumbfounded. Like totally flattered. He bowed and mouthed "Thank you so much!"

I felt kinda dumb for doing it. Later on I found out (from the bartender) that he was acting like a madman. Not a total douche but just kinda wild. Irritating folks. Walking in front of cars in the street and being loud.

When I asked for my tab (which had been pretty hefty) the bartender told me that he had picked up my bill. And all my friends bills as well and gave everyone a bag of coke.

I'll always remember that kindness.
I believed you until the coke at the end

I actually met Khamzat Chimaev in Sweden a couple years back at an MMA expo before he was well known.

He was walking around and I went up to him to say I was a fan, etc (I had been following his career) He was really nice and we talked for a while. He actually started asking me about my life and what I do, how I like school and stuff. I was telling him about how hot it gets during the Summer session and he takes his full bottle of protein shake and pours it onto my head, completely ruining my tapout shirt. He then looks me straight in the eye and says, "how could you possibly think that someone like me could like someone like you"? Then, he took a picture with his phone, laughed, and walked away.
this gave me flashbacks of highschool

of course I was Chimaev in that scenario

A guy posted about meeting Tank Abbott on here, asking him to sign his event program and Tank just took it and walked off with it instead.

It got me wondering if anyone else here has has bad experiences meeting fighters?

Funny, I was in Colorado at Cabela's and I noticed this lady with a huge ass rack on her. I saw this biker looking dude looking at stuff and would go up to the lady every so often. I got to looking closer at the biker looking guy and he noticed me looking at him and I finally walked up and before I could say anything he said "What's up brother" and put out his hand to shake in that arm wrestling type of shake not a normal handshake. I said "Tank, great to see you and always was a fan of yours" he said "right on brother"...then I parted ways.

Seemed like a nice guy, odd seeing him in a leather jacket. I followed them out at distance and they hopped on an older Harley and drove off.

Lastly, I have had the opportunity to meet many UFC fighters from going to events. I have never had a bad encounter with any fighter I have met.

I attend various presentations at CSUS every now and then. I usually make quick stops at the dollar store near the campus next to Faber’s gym. I’ve seen fighters from his camp all the time. Never approached one but the biggest d-bag I have seen is Danny Castillo. Dude thinks his shit smells good. I pity the fool trying to ass kissed him that day.

Holloway, Romero, Woodley, Wonderboy = all great. Romero was the nicest but I think he was a little tipsy cause he was trying to talk my ear off. Funniest encounter was Woodley mainly because I was extremely nervous and he cracked a bad joke to get me to loosen up. I was really young though and had traveled there by myself. He signed some stuff for my Dad & Brothers too.

Chris Weidman is a pos.
Elaborate with Weidman? Cause right now he is still my boy, but that could change lol.

No bad experiences but met Platinum MF'n Mike Perry in a Publix down in Winter Garden, FL. Believe it or not, extremely friendly and likable dude. He was sober and didn't say he was gonna beat my ass or anything.

I attend various presentations at CSUS every now and then. I usually make quick stops at the dollar store near the campus next to Faber’s gym. I’ve seen fighters from his camp all the time. Never approached one but the biggest d-bag I have seen is Danny Castillo. Dude thinks his shit smells good. I pity the fool trying to ass kissed him that day.
Always heard Bucholz is a total douchebag too.. People always say Uriah and Andre Fili are the 2 most likable dudes at that gym.

I've met a lot of fighters over the years, oftentimes when I'm loser-pissed, and I've only ever had one really bad experience; Joe Schilling. That dude was probably the most belligerent, arrogant, aggro, Affliction shirt-rockin' dude I've had the displeasure to be around (and I was a social standout circa 2010). Just came across like a jerk and if you showed even the slightest hint of being put off by what he said it was go time. In his defense he looked like he was high as a kite and his buddies ended up carrying him out of the bar that night but man...

One of those occasions I wish I'd managed to record cuz it would've been be my ticket to Youtube fame and fortune!

I actually met Khamzat Chimaev in Sweden a couple years back at an MMA expo before he was well known.

He was walking around and I went up to him to say I was a fan, etc (I had been following his career) He was really nice and we talked for a while. He actually started asking me about my life and what I do, how I like school and stuff. I was telling him about how hot it gets during the Summer session and he takes his full bottle of protein shake and pours it onto my head, completely ruining my tapout shirt. He then looks me straight in the eye and says, "how could you possibly think that someone like me could like someone like you"? Then, he took a picture with his phone, laughed, and walked away.

{<jordan}

Khamzat Bless

None actually. Cyborg was super nice. Anthony Johnson said hello back to me. Shit even Luke Rockhold who I thought would be a dick was taking pics with people and friendly to all that approached him.

I did see Karo once but I didn't want to approach cause I knew who he was bro.

I've met Rampage, Jon Jones, Mark Hominick, Mark Coleman, Dan Henderson, Brock Larson, Thiago Alves, Forest Griffin, Tim Credeur, PVZ all at various UFC events, and used to wrestle in HS with Luke Sanders and Nate Landwehr...they were all awesome in person...no bad experiences (except losing repeatedly to Sanders in tourneys ) and plenty of time for fans.

The two best were definitely Rampage and Forest. I stayed after an event once and walked down near-cageside to see who all was around. Jones, Hendo, and Rampage were all there just hanging around and saying hi to people. I said hi to Hendo and got a pic, Jones came up and shook my hand and I tried to get a pic with him, but my camera started messing up. Rampage walked over and I got to shake his hand and say hey while I was fumbling with my camera...he asked if I wanted a pic, but I showed him my camera was broken or something and I was trying to fix it. Then some woman associated with them came up and started telling them they had to go and to start moving out. Jones walked off towards the back, but Rampage was just kinda lingering next to me. The lady kept pestering him just tapping his shoulder and saying "We have to go. Wrap it up." over and over. After like the 3rd time she did this, Rampage just turned to her and was like "Lady, chill. I'll go when I get ready." He turned back to me laughing and apologized, I told him it was cool and he could go...never got the pic, but I got the feeling he would have waited if I asked.

Carlos Eduardo Rocha (cut from UFC but had some real food fights) was my BJJ coach for a good amount of time. His English was really poor but was overall a nice guy and good BJJ teacher. I remember his classes were real tough (conditioning wise) but he was a gentleman and patient coach overall

A guy posted about meeting Tank Abbott on here, asking him to sign his event program and Tank just took it and walked off with it instead.

It got me wondering if anyone else here has has bad experiences meeting fighters?
A friend’s pregnant wife was happily driving to go to A checkup and as fate would have it, she had a run in with Jon Jones at a traffic intersection. That was a rough day

Last edited:
Forest actually approached me on the street after an event. I was walking outside and some dude outside the show was handing out flyers advertising a jiu jitsu school nearby. I guess Forest saw me take one and start reading it, because he walked up to me and said "What is that? Can I see?" I laughed and handed it to him. He read it and said "Learn BJJ in 1 hour, huh? I guess I need to check this place out if they're that quick. Lord knows I need it!" Then he just gave my flyer back, and walked on. I saw him a few mins later and got a pic with him and Tim Credeur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back