Bad experiences meeting UFC fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily bad just Helwani was awkward af.

I was talking to him about general things and it seemed like he didn't know what to say and had these weird long pauses.

Other than that, everyone I've met and talked to have been fine.

You’d be surprised that it’s often the lower level guys that are total assholes. I once managed an MMA gym that had multiple UFC fighters training full time .

One of the pro fighters was a total douchebag, his name was James. He used to always walk in the gym like he owned the place. He was rude to the receptionists and sometimes barked commands to my staff like they were working for him. A quick google search on tapology leads me to his 1-3 pro record and he lost all credibility after that.

Last edited:
I know it's cliche, but I saw Randy Couture at McCarron, like, 8 years ago. I didn't approach him; I'm not the star-struck type, I was in my mid 30s...something about being an adult man and approaching another guy you don't know...nope, and I'm sure those guys get sick of dealing with people approaching them all the time. But he wasn't a dick from a distance at least, haha.

I was standing right next to Henry Cejudo a the Super 32 wrestling tournament in Myrtle Beach this past weekend annndddd..... then I kept right on walking. I don't care to talk with any fighter or get a pic even though I love the sport.

BJ Penn was an ass. Saw him at the airport and said hi BJ, asked for a photo and he just brushed me off.

On the other hand had a great time meeting Frank Mir and Josh Barnett. I guess they don't have manlet issues like BJ
usZRR.jpg

HHVSq.jpg

You could out-angle prime Ronnie Coleman and prime Jay Cutler and prime Naser El Sonbaty and make them look like 145 pounders

#stillaverageforasherdoggerthough

Jon Jones and Holly Holm once came into the bar I was hanging out at. He (jones) wasn't acting weird or anything but a bunch of girls I guess he knew came in and they were all mingling. Having a good time. I thought it would be fun to buy him (jones) a round of whatever he was drinking. The bartender served it to him, turned around and pointed to me, and jones looked dumbfounded. Like totally flattered. He bowed and mouthed "Thank you so much!"

I felt kinda dumb for doing it. Later on I found out (from the bartender) that he was acting like a madman. Not a total douche but just kinda wild. Irritating folks. Walking in front of cars in the street and being loud.

When I asked for my tab (which had been pretty hefty) the bartender told me that he had picked up my bill. And all my friends bills as well and gave everyone a bag of coke.

I'll always remember that kindness.

I’ve met Sage, TJ, and Tim Kennedy. All really random chance encounters. Sage was by far the nicest but they were all really polite and I was nervous af talking to all of them so I appreciated the kindness. I missed 2 or 3 fist bumps with TJ as well which I’ll take to my grave but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity so no ragrets here. Kind of cringe but if you message Wonderboy on Instagram he’ll respond back, unless he’s got his nephew or something running his social media in which case you can have a conversation with WB’s nephew if that interests you.

I actually met Khamzat Chimaev in Sweden a couple years back at an MMA expo before he was well known.

He was walking around and I went up to him to say I was a fan, etc (I had been following his career) He was really nice and we talked for a while. He actually started asking me about my life and what I do, how I like school and stuff. I was telling him about how hot it gets during the Summer session and he takes his full bottle of protein shake and pours it onto my head, completely ruining my tapout shirt. He then looks me straight in the eye and says, "how could you possibly think that someone like me could like someone like you"? Then, he took a picture with his phone, laughed, and walked away.

I actually met Khamzat Chimaev in Sweden a couple years back at an MMA expo before he was well known.

He was walking around and I went up to him to say I was a fan, etc (I had been following his career) He was really nice and we talked for a while. He actually started asking me about my life and what I do, how I like school and stuff. I was telling him about how hot it gets during the Summer session and he takes his full bottle of protein shake and pours it onto my head, completely ruining my tapout shirt. He then looks me straight in the eye and says, "how could you possibly think that someone like me could like someone like you"? Then, he took a picture with his phone, laughed, and walked away.
Lmfao thank you for this

Only Krystof ... dude is a mean, scary motherfucker.
Gsp was all smiles but refused a pic lol.
Renzo and Matt Serra are super nice.
Enrique Barzola ... super down to earth.
Valentina.. nice body. Didn’t talk much, though.
Humberto Bandenay ( got cut )....nice guy.

Last edited:
I was at an Ostrich race for drunken shitty fun, and I had to take a piss. I stumbled to a trough in the corner, behind the stables, and overheard a jockey who was whispering to an ostrich while feeling it's long and smooth leathery legs. It must have been a fast ostrich because he was wearing a belt, and appeared to be king of the jockeys. I leaned down to tell him that ostrich seemed uninterested. He got terribly angry and said he was there only to support his taller friend. Henry Cejudo is an angry fella. He kicked me in the shin, fell over, and cussed as he walked away, to another stable.

I gave BJ a bikini wax. He was a total tool. Didn't even tip me?

I met Chris before the Romero fight he was just a dickhead, and he asked me an inappropriate question about what I was wearing so I just walked away.

I must say I get a vibe from Weidman in interviews. I saw him in one interview where they brought up his loss to Romero first, Weidman cracked it "oh why would you bring up a loss straight away?", kind of weird I think.

Ariel interviewed him just before the Reyes fight, immediately he challenged him about something that he'd said about him in the past, I can't quite remember. Anyway you could tell it was a massive effort for Chris to talk to Ariel in a civil manner put it that way.

I ate lunch next to Krysztof Sozynski and Hendo at an MGM Grand restaurant in 2009 when Machida fought Evans. The girl I was with kept asking about them, she was star struck and she was sizing me up with Hendo she kept saying I was bigger than him, how could he be a pro fighter or some dumb shit chicks would say when they are hungover. When he got up from the table he turned to our table and came and shook my hand with that grin of his.

It hit me about 2 hours later at the Texas hold em tables on my 5th or 6th jack and coke that Hendo had just slaughtered Wand the Axe Murderer in Pride just a few years earlier, it was probably going to be a good idea for me to lay off the liquid courage for the remainder of our trip

I met Roberto Duran once and he hung out with us for a little bit. Talk about super down to earth; the most gratifying celebrity encounter ever. I’m not normally impressed by celebrities but that man was one of my childhood heroes. Believe it or not, Paulie Malinagi was a super gentleman and answered all my boxing questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back