B.J. Penn hints at possible retirement from MMA

He's never been beaten up at lightweight. I think he should have one more fight there and see how it goes. Maybe against someone like Jim Miller or Pettis-Cerrone loser.

Wins over...Sherk, BJ, Maynard... and who else exactly? An unknown Jim Miller? A debuting Tyson Giriffin?

Hilarious that on your list is the guy you're arguing should be the LW GOAT. Who has BJ beat that Frankie couldn't?

BJ is HOF material, definitely.

I wish he would just get his act together, he doesn't need to retire yet. He could still achieve a lot.

I think he's still got more to do but he certainly deserves a long vacation.

BJ is HOF material, definitely.

I wish he would just get his act together, he doesn't need to retire yet. He could still achieve a lot.

I must disagree. Even in the 1st round of the Rory fight, BJ wasn't pulling the trigger at all. I was amazed to see him just stand there looking like a young fighter with Octagon jitters. It made me think that his reflexes are gone. Then again, it could have just been the long layoff after the Fitch fight.

if this guy would just stay at fucking LW, how do people not tell him this... Its fucking crazy, if your a midget and have no muscles why would u want to go to a higher weight were there are monsters like gsp and Rory that will manhandle you like a child.... Shits crazy.

i love how people say he really should retire rather than go baCk to LW where he has no challengers since edgar is where he belongs now.

I must disagree. Even in the 1st round of the Rory fight, BJ wasn't pulling the trigger at all. I was amazed to see him just stand there looking like a young fighter with Octagon jitters. It made me think that his reflexes are gone. Then again, it could have just been the long layoff after the Fitch fight.

I don't think it was his reflexes. I think he hadn't trained hard enough, I think Rory's striking was better than he had anticipated, and he went into defensive mode and mentally resigned himself to "not losing too badly". The old (or should I say young?) BJ wouldn't have cared about how good Rory was. He would have made it a fight. He would have taken risks to try and get that win.

For BJ, it's not physical. He hasn't taken that much damage in his career. He isn't that old. No, the problem is that he isn't there mentally. The fire that once drove him to excel beyond all expectations is gone. I don't blame him. He has a nice, comfortable life with enough money to do whatever he wants. He has accomplished a lot during his career. But as a fan, I'd like him to make a last effort. Go for a belt again. Maybe even try to become the first (and probably last) tri-division champion in UFC history. Go out on his shield in a big fight instead of quietly resigning himself to defeat by a young hungry lion who probably had 20 pounds of muscle on him.

I hope this stops BJ fans spinning the b.s. that BJ does not care about wins or losses and he just comes to scrap.

BJ cares about losses more then most because he wants to quit whenever he suffers them. a guy like Lytle came to scrap. after a loss he was ready for his next war and not quitting in a fit as BJ is way to known for.

moron post is moronic

that's like saying "Matt Serra disagrees" if someone says GSP is the WW GOAT

except Serra's record at WW is not comparable to GSP's and Edgars LW record is better then BJ s.

Edgar has the bigger and better LW wins and he has more LW wins.

BJ Penn is unquestionably a hall of famer.

And he really should retire.

I have to agree on both. Will feel strange to not have an upcoming BJ fight to be excited about, but I'd rather it be that than an upcoming thrashing like Rory put on him :(

For BJ, it's not physical. He hasn't taken that much damage in his career. He isn't that old. No, the problem is that he isn't there mentally. The fire that once drove him to excel beyond all expectations is gone. I don't blame him. He has a nice, comfortable life with enough money to do whatever he wants. He has accomplished a lot during his career. But as a fan, I'd like him to make a last effort. Go for a belt again. Maybe even try to become the first (and probably last) tri-division champion in UFC history. Go out on his shield in a big fight instead of quietly resigning himself to defeat by a young hungry lion who probably had 20 pounds of muscle on him.

this, idk BJ personally so anything I say is pure speculation but I do know that starting a family can change people

It's already been the official statement from the UFC that BJ will be in their Hall Of Fame.

The timing of that announcement coincided with their promoting their UFC gym in Hawaii, but regardless, BJ will be in the UFC Hall Of Fame.

There is no reason BJ should not be in the UFC HoF.

Back