AVENGERS: ENDGAME (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen AVENGERS: ENDGAME, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Initially, on my first viewing i only had it at like a low 8/10, but on my second viewing I have it more like a 9.1/10. It's a great movie experience made for the fans. Some of my gripes became less of a deal on the second viewing, but I still have some issues with it.

- Having Thanos get owned in the beginning takes away the drama and menace of his character for me. Even in a weakened state. Just psychologically and emotionally it breaks his image as someone who is practically unstoppable. This took away some of the suspense in the last big fight scene of Endgame. It would be like showing any other villain who is supposed to be incredibly imposing and dangerous getting owned in some weakened state early in a movie, like Vader getting kicked in the balls and rolling around coughing. It's similar to how I don't buy into Kylo Ren as much as I think I'm supposed to because he got owned by Rey in the first movie. Cap wielding the hammer and fighting him at the end though is probably a top 2 moment in MCU for me though, second only to Dr. Strange and company fighting Full Gauntlet Thanos on Titan.
- I didn't really like the infinity stone heist scenes much. I just felt like I was rewatching old scenes from old movies and it wasn't very suspenseful. Black Widow's death was not emotionally impactful for me because i had already watched that same scene with that same music but with much better build up and narrative weight.

Those are really the only things that stand out to me as dislikes for the movie now. I used to have a bigger problem with cap's ending, but I like it now. Also knowing what happens with Tony at the end made me appreciate the Tony scenes in the first 1/3 of the movie more. I don't really like the casting of Captain Marvel, as others have mentioned, so I'm glad she wasn't involved much in this movie. That was a big concern of mine going in. I know there are some plot holes and some missed opportunities with some characters but overall I felt like it was really fun, some emotionally striking moments, and it wrapped up most things in ways I was satisfied with. I don't put it past GotG, Infinity War, or Winter Soldier. Infinity War overall I liked better, by a lot I think.

For me, Thanos getting killed in the beginning was character development. He truly believed that he finished his job and he was at peace. He didn’t even fight back anymore which makes him a great villain.

Initially, on my first viewing i only had it at like a low 8/10, but on my second viewing I have it more like a 9.1/10. It's a great movie experience made for the fans. Some of my gripes became less of a deal on the second viewing, but I still have some issues with it.

- Having Thanos get owned in the beginning takes away the drama and menace of his character for me. Even in a weakened state. Just psychologically and emotionally it breaks his image as someone who is practically unstoppable. This took away some of the suspense in the last big fight scene of Endgame. It would be like showing any other villain who is supposed to be incredibly imposing and dangerous getting owned in some weakened state early in a movie, like Vader getting kicked in the balls and rolling around coughing. It's similar to how I don't buy into Kylo Ren as much as I think I'm supposed to because he got owned by Rey in the first movie. Cap wielding the hammer and fighting him at the end though is probably a top 2 moment in MCU for me though, second only to Dr. Strange and company fighting Full Gauntlet Thanos on Titan.
- I didn't really like the infinity stone heist scenes much. I just felt like I was rewatching old scenes from old movies and it wasn't very suspenseful. Black Widow's death was not emotionally impactful for me because i had already watched that same scene with that same music but with much better build up and narrative weight.

Those are really the only things that stand out to me as dislikes for the movie now. I used to have a bigger problem with cap's ending, but I like it now. Also knowing what happens with Tony at the end made me appreciate the Tony scenes in the first 1/3 of the movie more. I don't really like the casting of Captain Marvel, as others have mentioned, so I'm glad she wasn't involved much in this movie. That was a big concern of mine going in. I know there are some plot holes and some missed opportunities with some characters but overall I felt like it was really fun, some emotionally striking moments, and it wrapped up most things in ways I was satisfied with. I don't put it past GotG, Infinity War, or Winter Soldier. Infinity War overall I liked better, by a lot I think.
The past Thanos is much more powerful than current Thanos. Current Thanos wins just to get the stones and avoided conflicts when necessary, which is why he sent his minions. Past Thanos was all about kicking ass. Even without the gloves, he basically whipped the Avengers ass. Plus by getting rid of Thanos in the beginning of Endgame, story building can progress knowing the biggest threat to MCU is no longer there.

Ant man jumping out of the time portal is the true wild card and cultivate a new direction for the story to go.

Last edited:

Your analysis doesn't match your rating IMHO. I was reading your post and thinking wow, dude sounds disappointed in what he saw....had to scroll back up and verify 9.1/10? Near perfect score... what the hell...LOL

Anyways I've stopped reading online reviews on other sites as it just depresses me. Nats death I thought was sad as hell... people writing things like "good, glad the bitch is dead", people cheering and laughing at her death. Jesus... :(

"Me no like feelings...me want to see Thanos smash!"

I've been looking at some of the clips on YouTube and I like it even more, scenes having more emotional impact the 2nd time round.

The cap and Peggy unrequited love angle is even more impactful. That little 15 second scene where Steve goes back to 1970 and walks in a room with peggy there..

What a HEARTBREAKING scene.

I go back and see a clip from Winter Soldier and their last scene together when shes in bed with (alzheimers)...didn't realize and their conversation takes on whole new meaning and weight. So sad. His acting is incredible the way he tries to not let her see his reaction to how shes acting...

Incredible story.

I ordered the 2 season bluray of Agent Carter. Can't wait. :)

Last edited:
The past Thanos is much more powerful than current Thanos. Current Thanos wins just to get the stones and avoided conflicts when necessary, which is why he sent his minions. Past Thanos was all about kicking ass. Even without the gloves, he basically whipped the Avengers ass. Plus by getting rid of Thanos in the beginning of Endgame, story building can progress knowing the biggest threat to MCU is no longer there.

Ant man jumping out of the time portal is the true wild card and cultivate a new direction for the story to go.

Yeh I agree. I read a lot of folks saying Thanos is weaker, not as fierce in this movie. Not at all. I mean for one, he's not super roided up on infinity stones.

In IW he showed compassion, niceness is a lot of scenes, the tenderness towards his daughter, bringing her food, tears, compassion towards Wanda after she kills Vision, etc.

In Endgame he's cold blooded as hell. That line about not taking his mission personally, it's just business. Then says he's going to relish shredding every inch of the earth and killing every single being on it...

Damn... *chills*

Yeh I agree. I read a lot of folks saying Thanos is weaker, not as fierce in this movie. Not at all. I mean for one, he's not super roided up on infinity stones.

In IW he showed compassion, niceness is a lot of scenes, the tenderness towards his daughter, bringing her food, tears, compassion towards Wanda after she kills Vision, etc.

In Endgame he's cold blooded as hell. That line about not taking his mission personally, it's just business. Then says he's going to relish shredding every inch of the earth and killing every single being on it...

Damn... *chills*
A lot of people expected him to be more powerful than he ended up being without the stones. He has a laundry list of powers in the comics and they stripped that all away, making him just a big bruiser.

A lot of people expected him to be more powerful than he ended up being without the stones. He has a laundry list of powers in the comics and they stripped that all away, making him just a big bruiser.

Yeh I realize how powerful Thanos is in the comics, but for the sake of practicality... how the hell do you defeat him if he's THAT powerful in the movie. What kind of movie can you make? As it is, it took every super-being on earth to beat him. He's powerful enough. Comic book power would be absurd.

You'd have to round up the top 5 most powerful mcu beings is the history of existence to take him out. That's ridiculous.

The one scene just before the final battle, with Thanos just sitting on the boulder....

"You could not live with your own failure...

Where did that bring you?

Back to me...."

Chills! :cool:

Also, the way Thanos, after Tony has done his own Snap, doesn't rage or try to fight. He just sits down and waits to be dusted. He knows he's lost, and faces his own death with dignity.

And he still nearly killed everyone he fought.
I would not mind to watch a Thanos single movie just wrecking shit and being Thanos. Like, gathering power, setting Black order up, getting an army, starting the hunt for the Stones. Film should end on Xandar with Thanos getting the Power Stone after disposing of Nova corps. Then IW happens.

And he still nearly killed everyone he fought.
I would not mind to watch a Thanos single movie just wrecking shit and being Thanos. Like, gathering power, setting Black order up, getting an army, starting the hunt for the Stones. Film should end on Xandar with Thanos getting the Power Stone after disposing of Nova corps. Then IW happens.
That would be an awesome prequel film. Just title it Mad Titan.

Also, the way Thanos, after Tony has done his own Snap, doesn't rage or try to fight. He just sits down and waits to be dusted. He knows he's lost, and faces his own death with dignity.

Absolutely, but there's also a look of heartbreak on his face (as weird as that sounds), but a lifetime of work, his 100% dedication to this mission, his sole purpose in life, the losses/sacrifices he had to make.

All gone with a snap.

I can definitely read that in his face.

Yeh I realize how powerful Thanos is in the comics, but for the sake of practicality... how the hell do you defeat him if he's THAT powerful in the movie. What kind of movie can you make? As it is, it took every super-being on earth to beat him. He's powerful enough. Comic book power would be absurd.

You'd have to round up the top 5 most powerful mcu beings is the history of existence to take him out. That's ridiculous.
Just don't give him all of his comic powers. Just let him keep shit like energy projection and telekinesis. That would probably be enough.

They said he was the most powerful in the universe in GOTG and that was without the stones. You gotta give him a power set that makes me believe that.

And finding out he's just a big bruiser in Endgame weakens the 1 in 14 million narrative. There is no way in hell Thanos could beat Dr. Strange 1v1 if they successfully pulled the gauntlet off first

The past Thanos is much more powerful than current Thanos.
He shouldn't be, it's just a few years gap. Motivation can only take you so far.

Only if he was sandbagging, and I would be really disappointed if he was, because that's not what the movie sold us.

Absolutely, but there's also a look of heartbreak on his face (as weird as that sounds), but a lifetime of work, his 100% dedication to this mission, his sole purpose in life, the losses/sacrifices he had to make.

All gone with a snap.

I can definitely read that in his face.
I agree. I actually kind of felt sorry for him in that moment.

Damn... *chills*
Really? That type of villain does it for You?

Jesus they've simplified us.

A little late to the party but I thought they wrapped up everything pretty nicely. Fat Thor stole the movie for me and I really hope they keep him and the GotG together.

Really? That type of villain does it for You?

Jesus they've simplified us.

In the case of IW/Endgame - Yes - Thanos "does it for me" like a motherfucker. Great villain.

However, unlike other movies (good example..Transformers - great action, great villain - but EXCRUCIATING shit dialogue) - this, for me was about the great actors that played these parts, great personal stories, allowing me to connect/care more deeply about their character - thus more impacted by what happens to them, and what they go through.

He shouldn't be, it's just a few years gap. Motivation can only take you so far.

Only if he was sandbagging, and I would be really disappointed if he was, because that's not what the movie sold us.
Think of it as aging. If you compare myself to who I was ten years ago, I would have been faster and stronger. Nowadays I'm sore as shit after doing PT, whereas in the past I could PT for hours without being tired.

Past Thanos was battle harden, he came deck out in his armor and blade. Current Thanos looks defenseless and only looks to avoid any unnecessary fighting while aquire the stones. He didn't even offer any resistance before getting his arm and head cut off at the beginning.

During Gamora' death scene, he was in emotional pain. Past Thanos was opened to wiping the entire universe whereas current only want to take away half

Last edited:
Current Thanos looks defenseless and only looks to avoid any unnecessary fighting while aquire the stones. He didn't even offer any resistance before getting his arm and head cut off at the beginning.

You sound muddled up here;

Infinity stone acquiring Thanos was basically in top shape; he was crafty about getting the stones cos there were top tier people in the way of his plan e.g Odin, Ego. He was brains as well as brawn so knew he could scheme his way to the stones rather than going through vicious battles with virtual gods.

But when it came to battling Avengers he was vastly superior in combat.

The weak, defenseless Thanos that offered no resistance was badly injured from destroying the stones.

Back