Athletic Comission Employee Doesn't know how to Operate a Scale?

come on man, you been here since 2009. this sort of thing happens all the time

I know But they should be called upon when it happens. And I'm triggered a bit also. Probably because I like Romero and he wasn't allowed to fight for 0.2lbs.
It happens all the time as you say, it's just so hard to not get triggered for me ;-)

Looks like it could have been the scale. Everyone weighed in .5 lb increments, so my guess was he was 170.6 or something and then dropped to 170.4 and it just rounded down.

Both would round to 170.5 if it's in 0.5 increments.

Best case 170.7500001 down to 170.24999999
Half a pound.

Fucking stupid Texans can't use their own equipment.

But seriously how does this happen?

Athletic commission and unprofessional go hand in hand

leave it alone

giphy.gif

That guy was tapping on the slider thinking "Why isn't there an app for this thing?"

I literally had no idea that was Rogan until I saw your post and then double checked. How old is that pic? Gotta be 20 years at least, right?

Haha yeah.. Has to be a good 20 years ago, if not more. Maybe he was around 30 at the time, during his Quake gaming days :)

we are able to make nuclear weapons, i'm pretty sure they can make a scale that doesn't take 10 minutes to get a reading. and im sure the digital scales are accurate...

accurate to what degree though? I can only think of 2 reasons these scales are used: (1) they are the most accurate ones available or (2) they last the longest. They seem to be the standard in doctor offices and gym locker rooms as well.

Mechanical scales are very accurate, once they are calibrated they cannot easily be compromised. Electronic scales are less accurate and can be affected by temperature and moisture more easily.

Courtesy of Reddit

(I assume anyone that actually wants to know the answer to something types the question into Google, and not into a Sherdog post)

lol, there have been a ton of times where I started asking a question in a post on here but stopped myself before posting it because the thought "what the fuck am I doing? Just google it" flashed through my head.

Can someone explain why they don't use a digital scale?

Most reliable and precise and cheaper is the mechanical scale. To get a top rated best of the line digital scale would cost a lot more and even then you aren't 100% sure it will last you many years in all sorts of conditions.

Digital ones are used for little scales the type the chemists use they are faster and they are kept in better conditions and replaced periodically.

You want mid range you go for a mechanical one.

And last for big numbers you can go either way it will be precise enough.. most common digital ones at this point and time.

Most reliable and precise and cheaper is the mechanical scale. To get a top rated best of the line digital scale would cost a lot more and even then you aren't 100% sure it will last you many years in all sorts of conditions.

Digital ones are used for little scales the type the chemists use they are faster and they are kept in better conditions and replaced periodically.

And last for big numbers you can go either way it will be precise enough.. most common digital ones at this point and time.
chemists and drug dealers / users ;)

That is amazing that the Athletic commission have chosen a guy reading the scale who simply doesn't fully understand how to read it right!
And i think there were TWO people who when they got rid of their underwear, (Woodley plus one other) the weight magically dropped a whole 1lb. No underwear weighs 1lb especially not the lightweight stuff fighters are obviously gonna choose for a freakin weigh-in.

this is important, and it's on live broadcast all over the world. Go practice with known fixed metal weights and understand exactly how to get it *right*.

#KeyStoneCops

That have to wear reebok's.

But Zabit's only weighed .5lbs.

Naaah, Till rocked that Auchwitz look, I do believe he weighed 169.
However, why the hell dont they use a precision electronic scale is beyond me. Is Dana too greedy to buy a good scale?
The commissions, not the UFC are carrying out the weigh ins.
When the UFC gets involved, it'll look like this (blue UFC shirts):

It was so freakin obvious, and the needle or the counter must've been moving alot.

Pretty sure the only way you get hired by a SAC is to get a community college associates degree in something medical related and have family that already works in the SAC.

Has nobody ever watched weighins before? ALWAYS a pound for unduhwearz.

I don't know about that.

Commercial and industrial scales can last decades. You don't discard scales because they stop reading accurately. An organization should have SOPs for scale calibration where they are either calibrated (cost of approximately $50 depending on the scale service provider) every 6 months to one year depending on the use and requirement of the industry.

Back