• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aspinall vs. Gane

Who takes it?

• Total voters
Gabe did they exactly same thing when facing BB after his Volkov fight. By challenging the #1
but before that he just beat rozenstriuke also, he was top 10. there are lots of top 10 guys an everyone has fights, plus there is a the jones variable I dont think 1 more fight before a 1number one contenders match will kill anyone.

I find mma fans to be very impatient these days, they always want to FORCE matchups to happen quickly, The hw landscape is very volatile right now.

Last edited:
Gane would pick him apart.
If that fight gets made I'll av bet anyone

So that doesn't change that odds would still be in Tom's favour if they grappled because that's clearly a weakness for Gane.

It's not that simple. Ngannou outwrestled Gane because Francis has freak strength. He's not exactly skilled, at some points he just picked up Gane and dumped him on the floor. Aspinall may be more skilled than Francis at grappling but he's not nearly as strong.

Aspinall was sure more impressive against Volkov.

He isn't very good if he can't beat Gane and the other HW's right now.

Onl questions on Aspinal are gas tank and chin as neither has been tested. Other than those potentials he is the most well rounded fighter I have seen at HW in a really long time. He stands and grapples both at a very high level.

Gane has the athletic edge , size , and reach.

would be a great fight

It's not that simple. Ngannou outwrestled Gane because Francis has freak strength. He's not exactly skilled, at some points he just picked up Gane and dumped him on the floor. Aspinall may be more skilled than Francis at grappling but he's not nearly as strong.
Francis actually outwrestled Gane because Gane is a novice grappler that not only doesn't have the skill to reverse position, he has absolutely no way to threaten anyone on the ground.

Not sure if Aspinall is yet another failed HW or if he actually is a standout.

Very True, Frank's massive strength and athletic ability makes up for his lack of ground experience, What Stipe did to him those years ago prob wont be repeated.

Christ, that'd be an amazing fight. I'm COMPLETELY sold on Aspinall.

I think Aspinall showed more skill than Gane, based on his performance against Volkov. Tom showed excellent striking (fast and powerful), he showed well timed wrestling, and he showed good BJJ. All this against one of the top HW's in the division today.
Aspinall went through Volkov like a hot knife through butter. IMO it was one of the best MMA HW performances of all time, as it showed all the main faucets in MMA in the HW division.

With that said, I think seeing that out of Aspinall, as well as the close loss to Naganu, will light a big competitive spirit in Gane. I know that in a French interview yesterday, Gane acknowledged that Tom is more well rounded/technical than Gane is, and this is true based on their performances against Volkov. But now we know that Gane is working on his grappling by hiring 2 huge Dagestani grapplers to train with.

Francis actually outwrestled Gane because Gane is a novice grappler that not only doesn't have the skill to reverse position, he has absolutely no way to threaten anyone on the ground.
Yet he took down Stipe and came close to finish him with GnP.

Funny how before the Ngannou fight, this poll would be near 100% Gane. Think Ngannou is a better wrestler than Aspinall to be honest, and this would be closer than you think.

We all seen Ganes wrestling. Literally the whole world was rooting for him and he choked monumentally. I mean ngannou swept him slow motion ffs

I think Aspinall showed more skill than Gane, based on his performance against Volkov. Tom showed excellent striking (fast and powerful), he showed well timed wrestling, and he showed good BJJ. All this against one of the top HW's in the division today.
Aspinall went through Volkov like a hot knife through butter. IMO it was one of the best MMA HW performances of all time, as it showed all the main faucets in MMA in the HW division.
I said it before last night: Aspinall is much more offensive and is a finisher, but he is getting tagged occasionally. Gane is a defensive master, when his gameplan is to not get hit, he is untouchable (on the feet), but he also lacks offensive efficiency.

But Aspinall's submission game is scary, he is just so fast and aggressive in grappling. I would not like it for Gane (or anyone really) if the fights hits the ground.

If they end up putting together Gane vs Stipe then I'll settle for Aspinall vs Blaydes/Daukaus as well.

Back