Askren set to wrestle the 2nd ranked 189lb guy for TEAM USA at the end of the month.

The claim I made is Askren has shown no interest in the past year. You are linking things from 2013, which has nothing to do with the claim I made.

Although there is one thing that has always bothered me. If Askren said he wanted to fight in the UFC, but only if they paid him what he is worth, and their offer was too low, how can that be reconciled with him offering to fight for free?

8k/8k is more than 0k/0k. So how is 0/0 acceptable to him, but 8/8 is an insult?

Sure, you can specify the last year as the bounds of your claim, but I'm not sure that it would carry much weight as to refuting Askren's desire to be in the UFC. What I mean is that being signed for 6+ fights in a contract without an out-clause means that you're going to be there for a considerable amount of time, so without the option of getting picked up by the UFC, you might as well drive up your future price potential (or even if you argue that Askren's tactics don't drive up his price, at least his demands to be paid fairly means he's not willingly driving it down to the lowest possible value.) Since no deals will be made in the near future, it wouldn't be in his self-interest to offer to fight for cheap when he's free.

To emphasize, whenever he was actually available to be signed to the UFC, he did in fact make every effort to be signed by them. All media during that time, the time in which he was actually available to be picked up, contain clear statements made by Askren that he would sacrifice payscale in order to have a shot at being the best, and there are also clear statements made by the UFC that they didn't want him despite this, most notably the fact that they refused to even make an offer when he met with them, on his request, in Vegas.

The claim I made is Askren has shown no interest in the past year. You are linking things from 2013, which has nothing to do with the claim I made.

Although there is one thing that has always bothered me. If Askren said he wanted to fight in the UFC, but only if they paid him what he is worth, and their offer was too low, how can that be reconciled with him offering to fight for free?

8k/8k is more than 0k/0k. So how is 0/0 acceptable to him, but 8/8 is an insult?

Askren never actually said he'd fight for free. He said he'd fight Rory and that IF HE LOST, he'd do it for free. We don't know what he wanted if he won.

"I am pumped to be competing in FPL against someone as high level as Clayton Foster," said Askren. "My whole life I have looked for challenges and this is a big one, I am looking to show the wrestling world I am still one of the best in America. "

One should note that Askren, who competes as an MMA welterweight (170lbs), will be bumping up in weight to 190lbs to take on Foster. Clayton Foster believes this disparity in weight will affect the fight, and he wasn't exactly shy in his response to Askren.

"I am one of the top wrestlers in America, " said Foster. "And Ben is too old and too small to handle me. I can't wait to beat Ben Askren on January, 25th."

Seems I forgot to mention "old." Foster sees his being 4 years younger than Askren a key advantage in the bout as well.

Foster is huge, Ben is a madman. I will definitely be tuning in, much respect to Askren.

I have a hard time seeing Askren being able to pull off the win here, but as he showed with Quinten Wright it is never smart to count him out. If Askren wins Dake, David Taylor, or Ruth would all be awesome matchups.

Stylistically, I think Askren really struggles Dake. Kyle (when healthy) seems to have next to no weaknesses open for exploiting. Even on the mat where Askren shines I'm not convinced he would have success with Dake. Ben has always had an amazing wrestling IQ. Dake is the one guy who can match him there too.

Glad Askren goes back and does these match ups every once and a while.

This is a tough matchup, should be exciting.

Glad Askren goes back and does these match ups every once and a while.

This is a tough matchup, should be exciting.

Same it is incredible to see him keep up his high level wrestling to me; while watching the other MMA guys who are now part timers get torched in straight up wrestling by the new blood.

It does worry me though, because I do think he has a good chance of losing this match and expect to see Danas army hitting the trail hard saying that Askren sucks because he lost to the second ranked guy in the USA while going up 20 pounds over and over.

foster.png

Same it is incredible to see him keep up his high level wrestling to me; while watching the other MMA guys who are now part timers get torched in straight up wrestling by the new blood.

It does worry me though, because I do think he has a good chance of losing this match and expect to see Danas army hitting the trail hard saying that Askren sucks because he lost to the second ranked guy in the USA while going up 20 pounds over and over.

Yep, there is no shame if he does lose to Foster. Foster is a tough kid from Idaho that developed at Okie State.

I do see a bunch of people trying to call Askren a can if he looses but that's not fair if it does happen. Foster is bigger and very good.

Where is the Idaho guy, this match should interest him?

Askren takes a lot of risks by taking on these really though wrestling matches. Too many people don't understand what Ben is doing is really hard doing two sports at the same time.

I liked how Askren commented that Foster was more explosive then he is. Then he said just about everyone is. :)

A lot of people say Askren can't be that good because he is not strong, fast, and explosive.

Well, that's always been true. I does not change the fact that Askren tend to win.

I liked how Askren commented that Foster was more explosive then he is. Then he said just about everyone is. :)

A lot of people say Askren can't be that good because he is not strong, fast, and explosive.

Well, that's always been true. I does not change the fact that Askren tend to win.

Cause Askren uses crafty scramble work and "funky" unorthodox positions to his advantage. He doesn't use speed and explosiveness.

IMO that's why his MMA wrestling is top notch. He adapts very well and his abilities are tailored to his body type.

When Ben competed in Argon, which he wrestled Wright , he out wrestled a 3x all american who wrestles full time 2 weight classes above Askren, who is also much younger.

Ben is an absolute beast and a top ten all time collegiate wrestler whose specialty was a unorthodox style that top level wrestlers couldn't properly gameplan/train for.

Great example of his skill but egotistical domination of his opponents is him vs Koreshkov. He dominates Andrey in every position but instead of sinking a sub he rides him chanting USA and making him his bitch for 4 rounds. To detractors saying oh well he couldn't sub him, Askren was a brown belt in BJJ at the time, to think he couldn't sink in a sub from any of the positions he had is naive, he took pleasure in mentally destroying his opponents.

Cause Askren uses crafty scramble work and "funky" unorthodox positions to his advantage. He doesn't use speed and explosiveness.

IMO that's why his MMA wrestling is top notch. He adapts very well and his abilities are tailored to his body type.

When Ben competed in Argon, which he wrestled Wright , he out wrestled a 3x all american who wrestles full time 2 weight classes above Askren, who is also much younger.

Ben is an absolute beast and a top ten all time collegiate wrestler whose specialty was a unorthodox style that top level wrestlers couldn't properly gameplan/train for.

Great example of his skill but egotistical domination of his opponents is him vs Koreshkov. He dominates Andrey in every position but instead of sinking a sub he rides him chanting USA and making him his bitch for 4 rounds. To detractors saying oh well he couldn't sub him, Askren was a brown belt in BJJ at the time, to think he couldn't sink in a sub from any of the positions he had is naive, he took pleasure in mentally destroying his opponents.

Yep, I have been watching Askren since his freshman year in college. I notice any freshman that makes it to the finals.

That fight to me is the fight that splits MMA fans. Many call it one of the worst things thy could sit through, to me I find it wildly entertaining to watch such a good fighter just getting toyed with and refusing to put him out of his misery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back