Askren set to wrestle the 2nd ranked 189lb guy for TEAM USA at the end of the month.

The very quote YOU just posted shows that....

That is from a guy who just got rejected and is about 18 months away from becoming a free agent again. He says he has interest but if he doesn't get to do it it won't break his heart. Does he need to say he will be heartbroken about a situation he doesnt control to have you stop saying he doesn't want in the UFC? Ha

What he says is he feels he is the best already and he doesn't need to prove it to anyone else. No one who is INTERESTED says that.

My post did not say he will definitely not sign with the UFC, or he could never have interest in the future. I said right now, and in 2014, Askren has shown literally zero interest. It's really not even debatable, he has not. When Dana showed interest in Askren, Askren showed no interest back and bashed Dana. Whether you think Dana deserved it or not is besides the point.

Why you people need to act like I am calling Askren a can with completely reasonable remarks is beyond me. I have actually never had anything but respect for him and have never trashed him. The way Sherdog turns people into fools can be astounding.

Do you even have any thought process as to why you believe a highly competitive Olympian and undefeated champion wouldn't want to fight in the UFC?

What he says is he feels he is the best already and he doesn't need to prove it to anyone else. No one who is INTERESTED says that.
Your confirmation bias is something else.

Last edited:
Do you even have any thought process as to why you believe a highly competitive Olympian and undefeated champion wouldn't want to fight in the UFC?

His own words maybe?
Askren, who is one of MMA’s most dominant wrestlers with his collegiate pedigree going back to the University of Missouri, has hinted that he may retire when it does. (Contract ends)

When he was asked if that might still be a possibility, Askren nodded

Do you even have any thought process as to why he is lying?

My post did not say he will definitely not sign with the UFC, or he could never have interest in the future. I said right now, and in 2014, Askren has shown literally zero interest. It's really not even debatable, he has not. When Dana showed interest in Askren, Askren showed no interest back and bashed Dana. Whether you think Dana deserved it or not is besides the point.

Why you people need to act like I am calling Askren a can with completely reasonable remarks is beyond me. I have actually never had anything but respect for him and have never trashed him. The way Sherdog turns people into fools can be astounding.

Not the fool when you ask for something that showing "the slightest bit of interest" as you requested, nor do I said anything about you calling him a can. He has shown about as must interest as a guy can show while still being signed elsewhere. He can't piss off his current employer who is paying him by being blunt about wanting to leave but he has made it pretty clear to me with the quoted text that that he would rather be fighting in the UFC, especially when combined with his keeping active beefs going so there is instant fights that will be fun if made also support it. If you don't see it that way, not sure what more can be said, as its two people reading the same quote and somehow getting a much different answer from it.

Your confirmation bias is something else.

He flat out said he doesn't care if he fights the best. If it never happens he is perfectly fine with it.

Not the fool when you ask for something that showing "the slightest bit of interest" as you requested, nor do I said anything about you calling him a can. He has shown about as must interest as a guy can show while still being signed elsewhere. He can't piss off his current employer who is paying him by being blunt about wanting to leave but he has made it pretty clear to me with the quoted text that that he would rather be fighting in the UFC, especially when combined with his keeping active beefs going so there is instant fights that will be fun if made also support it. If you don't see it that way, not sure what more can be said, as its two people reading the same quote and somehow getting a much different answer from it.

I am perfectly fine with your interpretation, because at this point that is what it is. He did not flat out show interest. If you want to interpret that as him being interested I am not going to argue about it. I have made my position clear enough, I am not happy he was not signed to the UFC. I blame both him and Dana for it. I hope we get the chance to see him there ASAP. I am getting the Cyborg vibe off him, hopefully I am wrong.

If a guy asked out the pretty girl and she tells him no, and he goes on with his life and starts dating a new girl, and someone ask him if he'd still give the pretty girl a chance now that she might be single in the future and he respond with "yes I would have some interest but I know I'm a good guy and if I go the rest of my life without dating her I won't be heartbroken"

Would you say that guy has Zero interest in dating the pretty girl when said no? I would read that as he clearly does. In many ways that is what this situation compares to.

If a guy asked out the pretty girl and she tells him no, and he goes on with his life and starts dating a new girl, and someone ask him if he'd still give the pretty girl a chance now that she might be single in the future and he respond with "yes I would have some interest but I know I'm a good guy and if I go the rest of my life without dating her I won't be heartbroken"

Would you say that guy has Zero interest in dating the pretty girl when said no? I would read that as he clearly does. In many ways that is what this situation compares to.

The guy said he has some interest. Askren never said that. It's a bad analogy because in your analogy Askren is dating ugly girls for their money, and would like to date hot girls but only if they are also rich.

ETA: I will try to make your analogy a bit better. He wanted a girl who could cook, and the pretty girl was not able to cook well, so he went to some ugly girls who were amazing cooks. When asked about the pretty girl, he says he wouldn't mind if she learned how to cook. That does not mean he is interested, it means he COULD be interested if the conditions were right. I think that is where Askren is. He is not interested in the UFC, but if they offer him the right dollar figure next year, he would join. So right now, he has no interest in the pretty girl, IF she changed, he would.

Success is the best revenge. If Ben was all woe is me! and full of regrets, then it means Dana won. Ben won't give him that satisfaction. UJustGotChaeld basically wants Askren to blow the UFC, and anything short of that is seen as a lack of interest in his eyes.

He is referencing to wrestling WAY back to his senior year of college. Hendricks beat Askren twice in high school; Both went on to be stud college wrestlers, winning national championships at back to back weight classes (most would be shocked to hear Askren was the heavier of the two weight classes). The National Wrestling Coaches Association holds a big invite only all-star meet; Askren called out Hendricks for the meet to avenge his high school days and Hendricks turned the match down.

But yea all the challenges made to him since then are borderline empty, but he has challenged him to a wrestling match a couple of times over the recent years, but Hendricks not doing those are no surprise given where he is at. The college all-star duck job was pretty legit, but yea it was a long time ago and is mostly as you already know a way to keep in the spotlight.

Interesting. I didn't know any of that back-story and that they had history. Thanks
for the info. And yeah, not much in it for Hendrix to want to do it now.

Success is the best revenge. If Ben was all woe is me! and full of regrets, then it means Dana won. Ben won't give him that satisfaction. UJustGotChaeld basically wants Askren to blow the UFC, and anything short of that is seen as a lack of interest in his eyes.

No, I want a "I am with One-FC and happy. My contract ends in 2015 and when it ends we will see."

I don't think something along those lines is out of line, and it's not blowing Dana.

I think he believes Dana wouldn't have signed him if he did as Dana asked.

Maybe. But it feels more like he would rather go to Asia then to make it look like he was trying to earn his way into the UFC. Did he have to uproot his family or did they stay and he is out there by himself? He is making really good money so I can't say necessarily it was a bad decision. But I do wonder if it is one he would have made had Dana not suggested WSOF. I am half-suspicious Dana suggested WSOF knowing Ben wouldn't go there just because of that. In any event, all the UFC comments come off like someone who is pissed they weren't signed and I am surprised he would give DW the satisfaction.

No, I want a "I am with One-FC and happy. My contract ends in 2015 and when it ends we will see."

I don't think something along those lines is out of line, and it's not blowing Dana.
That's what he said in his latest interview with Ariel on the MMA Hour.

Maybe. But it feels more like he would rather go to Asia then to make it look like he was trying to earn his way into the UFC. Did he have to uproot his family or did they stay and he is out there by himself? He is making really good money so I can't say necessarily it was a bad decision. But I do wonder if it is one he would have made had Dana not suggested WSOF. I am half-suspicious Dana suggested WSOF knowing Ben wouldn't go there just because of that. In any event, all the UFC comments come off like someone who is pissed they weren't signed and I am surprised he would give DW the satisfaction.

He trains in the US at Roufusport (and is a training partner for CM Punk, whom he semi badmouths). He only trains in Asia the last 2 weeks before the fight.

That's what he said in his latest interview with Ariel on the MMA Hour.

Can you show me a link? I have been asking for hours for you or anyone else to show me any interview/twitter comment where he shows any interest in the UFC. If he did so with Ariel I am interested to see it, and I have no idea why you didn't simply post it hours ago when I specifically asked for something like that.

ETA: I have seen this already .. if there is more that is not there I don't know.
"First he said I wasn't skilled enough, and that was laughable to anyone who knew anything about MMA. Then, when they signed a 0-0 fighter, it became more about, ‘wow, really'?" Askren said.

"There was a bunch of other stuff that he said, but at the end of the day, the only real mutual acquaintance we have would be Anthony Pettis, the champ, and I've never said anything of that manner to Anthony. I mean, the only thing that he could possibly equate with that is I said: if I do go to the UFC, I want to be paid fairly. So maybe he assumes that because someone wants to be paid fairly, they don't want to fight in the UFC. But other than that, I couldn't think of anything I would've said that would've been inclined towards making someone think that."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/1/5/7495387/ben-askren-dana-white-is-telling-blatant-lies-about-me

I do not see anything there in that interview.

Can you show me a link? I have been asking for hours for you or anyone else to show me any interview/twitter comment where he shows any interest in the UFC. If he did so with Ariel I am interested to see it, and I have no idea why you didn't simply post it hours ago when I specifically asked for something like that.
The MMA Hour - 263 - Ben Askren

@12:35

He trains in the US at Roufusport (and is a training partner for CM Punk, whom he semi badmouths). He only trains in Asia the last 2 weeks before the fight.

ah

That makes a lot more sense

Thanks for the info

I don't know why that never crossed my mind since he obviously can train anywhere he wants. lol this whole time I thought he had been there permanently until his contract was up

To anyone who thinks that Askren did not want to fight in the UFC, please watch this MMA hour interview where Askren talks about his meeting and this other article I linked to

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/12/...igning-with-one-fc-blames-immature-dana-white

http://www.mmamania.com/2013/11/18/...ight-rory-macdonald-free-retire-with-loss-mma

The claim I made is Askren has shown no interest in the past year. You are linking things from 2013, which has nothing to do with the claim I made.

Although there is one thing that has always bothered me. If Askren said he wanted to fight in the UFC, but only if they paid him what he is worth, and their offer was too low, how can that be reconciled with him offering to fight for free?

8k/8k is more than 0k/0k. So how is 0/0 acceptable to him, but 8/8 is an insult?

Back