Askren set to wrestle the 2nd ranked 189lb guy for TEAM USA at the end of the month.

Same it is incredible to see him keep up his high level wrestling to me; while watching the other MMA guys who are now part timers get torched in straight up wrestling by the new blood.

It does worry me though, because I do think he has a good chance of losing this match and expect to see Danas army hitting the trail hard saying that Askren sucks because he lost to the second ranked guy in the USA while going up 20 pounds over and over.

ugh, it'll be cyborgs kickboxing fight all over again

ugh, it'll be cyborgs kickboxing fight all over again

EDITED:

(I may have misunderstood what you meant by this) (My mistake. I am leaving my stupid post intact to show I don't hide from my statements)

How is that?

What if Ronda was still doing Judo tournaments? If Ronda had chosen to do that it wouldn't have been a stunt, it would have been she was still participating in the thing that brought her to MMA.

Askren probably misses his day as a University of MO wrestler. He was the very first national champion that came out of Mizzou.

The wrestling world still remembers Askren. I think he does this for wrestling and doesn't really have anything to do with MMA.

I think one day when Ben's fighting days are over that he will one day be a Division I coach as long as the wrestling world does not forget him. Being a Div I coach is a good gig. Askren will be OK when he physically can't fight anymore because he has some many coaching opportunities with camps in wrestling. If he gets a major coaching spot he will be fine. To get that coaching gig though he still has to show that his skill sets were not forgotten from being in MMA.

Wrestling is where Askren came from. He doesn't have the time to be a full time wrestler and do the tournament circuit right now but he is keeping his toe in the water and has done amazingly well trying to be an MMA fighter and wrestling guys that should trash him for because it has been so long since he has been full time. Win or lose Askren will be showing his greatness in a sport that can still put food on the table after his MMA days are done.

He has made sure the MMA world has not knows he exists even though he is not in the UFC and he is making sure the wrestling world remembers what a skill set he has as a wrestler and has not forgotten them. if I was an athletic director at a Div I university he would be on my hire list.

Last edited:
How is that?

I think you misunderstood him. He was referencing how all the Dana White fanatics were shouting how Cyborg sucks because she lost to the female kickboxing champion in kickboxing. So saying a loss here will have that same group saying Askren sucks at MMA.

I think you misunderstood him. He was referencing how all the Dana White fanatics were shouting how Cyborg sucks because she lost to the female kickboxing champion in kickboxing. So saying a loss here will have that same group saying Askren sucks at MMA.

Ah, my mistake.

I really hope he ends up in the UFC soon. He's wasting his time in ONE FC.

I really hope he ends up in the UFC soon. He's wasting his time in ONE FC.

I think that will be all up to Dana. Honestly if it were me in Askren's position I would have a lot of animosity towards Dana that would be hard to contain but would still take the contract.

Big fan of the funk, but I don't know if he wins this one.

I think that will be all up to Dana. Honestly if it were me in Askren's position I would have a lot of animosity towards Dana that would be hard to contain but would still take the contract.

He will be 32 when he is a free agent so towards the end of his prime years, so he can't go to the UFC to "earn a big second contract" too old for that, but if they offer him the most money (no reason they shouldnt be able to) than I think he will absolutely take the UFC offer.

I liked how Askren commented that Foster was more explosive then he is. Then he said just about everyone is. :)

A lot of people say Askren can't be that good because he is not strong, fast, and explosive.

Well, that's always been true. I does not change the fact that Askren tend to win.

Yeah, I saw a video of him on YouTube once where he said he had a 5.9 40, haha.

He does apparently have a gorilla grip strength though, and looks flexible as hell.

Same it is incredible to see him keep up his high level wrestling to me; while watching the other MMA guys who are now part timers get torched in straight up wrestling by the new blood.

It does worry me though, because I do think he has a good chance of losing this match and expect to see Danas army hitting the trail hard saying that Askren sucks because he lost to the second ranked guy in the USA while going up 20 pounds over and over.

It will be a vacuous insult by them, but I'm sure they'll get some pleasure out of it.

It will be a vacuous insult by them, but I'm sure they'll get some pleasure out of it.

I hope Askren wins not because the other guys is not deserving. Just don't here that Askren got beat by a can or something like that.

My favorite though is Wade Schalles, he was pretty unique himself.

Yes and anyone saying that is dumb. Cyborg sucks because she cheated using steroids while fighting girls that belong at 125.

Askren losing or winning has no bearing on his MMA skills, and anyone using it against him is a hater.

I didn't realize Claton has a win against Ed Ruth. Clayton has improve a lot since college. Kieth Gavin also has a win over Ed Ruth. Gavin has a win over Clayton. Askren is further removed.

I think Askren could have taken Ed Ruth a couple of years ago and maybe just maybe he can do it not. Askren had some strong wins over Gavin but that was quite a while at.

Last edited:
bump, so this is today? anyone know what time this'll be happening?

Not sure of the time.

I will add this. Logically I should think Askren should lose. He has proven people wrong so many times I don't know what to think.

I have no clue how this will turn out.

Dana's army is barely cognizant of Ben's MMA career. I doubt they'd be aware of this wrestling match.

It's funny bc in college wrestling Askren was the good guy and Hendricks was the bad guy.

Now in mma roles are seemingly reversed

Back