Ariel Helwani: I don't look forward to Aldo/McGrego now as much as i did 4 months ago

I am probably a little disconnected with the mainstream, but I am more excited for the fight now than I was before Conor/Mendes.

I personally didn't think Conor had earned the shot prior to facing Mendes, but he has now put the issue to bed. IMO he is the rightful challenger at this point. And his fight with Mendes was one of the bigger fights of the year. I would think that the exposure he gained from his performance in the interim bout would add to the excitement of the unification fight. TUFF will probably help too.

Aldo/McGregor stands to be one of, if not the biggest, fights at 155 and below that the sport has ever put together. It will be a "must watch" card for fans of the sport. And as disgusting as Werdum/Cain is, a HW title fight is a rare event in and of itself these days.
Let's hope that everyone manages to stay healthy.

Imagine if that HW title fight was AA/Werdum

who cares about ariel

or any of these mma beat guys

Ariel needs to get a real job.

Being an MMA journalist is like working at MCDs.

I agree.But i also felt they should of had the world tour closer to the fight.Could you have imagined how pumped u would of been if we had them antics a week or 2 out from the fight rather then 2- 3 months

Yeah. Fuck training, let them go on a world tour a couple of weeks before the biggest fight in UFC history.

It is like Charlie Brown and the football, when the fight starts getting hyped up again and the trash talking heats up, Ariel will forget about the likelihood of another injury killing the fight and will get excited like a teenage girl with tickets to a boy band concert.

Also, on an unrelated note, Ariel wore a Malcom X hat when he was a young middle class Jewish boy. He admitted it during the ESPN 30 for 30 on Christan Laetner.

I don't think my interest in the fight has waned.

I am more confident that Conor will win than I was before however.

I agree. The GOAT already has the real belt so no need to take the fake one from Hosay.

I find the fight more compelling now that Conor beat Mendes, despite any "what ifs" associated with it.

People can say what they want, but who wasn't excited for Conor vs Aldo from the moment it was announced??

People were hyped for that fight months before it actually happened, now we're 3-4 months away and nobody really gives a shit.

people saying Conor finally earned his shot is ridiculous, Aldo is lucky he was champion because he's the sole reason why nobody can get excited for this fight, everyone has very little faith in him showing up, and all the shady shit he brings to the fight, Aldo hasn't earned the right to face Conor, and Conor is losing a lot money in facing Aldo and how unmarketable he is, and at how much of a liability he is.

Aldo needs to thank Conor because this will be the last solid pay he receives, after that it's back to 200k buys for a fighter nobody cares about, even though his fans like pretend the name Aldo means something

I look forward to it more now, with Conors win over Chad and the fight being in December. Thats just for me personally, I love the month of December for fights.

Conor is doing a TUF with Faber. If he continues to do what he has been doing people will want Conor vs Faber to happen.

Aldo hasn't earned the right to face Conor

You mean the same guy who hasn't lost a fight in ten years? That Aldo?

You obviously aren't a fan of him, and that's fine. But you can't seriously sit here and say that the guy who's been the ONLY UFC Featherweight champion in history has to "earn" the right to face the guy who moved up the ladder (be it Conor or anyone else) to face him.

i was barely looking forward to it the first time, now it's about as interesting as a mighty mouse fight

You mean the same guy who hasn't lost a fight in ten years? That Aldo?

You obviously aren't a fan of him, and that's fine. But you can't seriously sit here and say that the guy who's been the ONLY UFC Featherweight champion in history has to "earn" the right to face the guy who moved up the ladder (be it Conor or anyone else) to face him.

Was referencing it more to the financial aspect, Aldo will receive a lot of money off of Conor's name, and for a guy who hardly ever shows up, can't promote a fight, and doesn't give 2 shit about his fans deserves to be pulling in 200k buys and making peanuts compared to everyone else.

I mean Conor pulled in more his last fight then Aldo did his entire career

I think its because people expect Aldo to be a no show again...

I'm not investing that same interest again.
I won't be surprised if someone pops.
Won't be surprised if Injury etc either.

Back