Are arm punches really that bad?

Well, volume punching can work against certain guys. However, a guy who knows what he's doing will just wade right through, bust you up with a shot or 2 with much better power, and pick his shots. Noons/ Diaz 1 is an example of this.

:icon_lol:

this isnt swimming against the waves. Wading through punches isnt that easy when they're banging off your face plus when you're trying to wade through you think the guy throwing is just gonna stand still in the same place , just moving his arms ?
If a guy can stop your advance with a few well placed jabs, best believe he can do it with two arms a lot better.

Bust him up with a shot or two ? Somebody better tell Paul Williams theres a new coach in town !

:icon_lol:

didn't know forrest choked shogun & messed up rampage's legs with arm punches.

*enrols in wing chun...

yeah cuz he never threw a single punch right ? Plus he got so gassed throwing them arm punches............:icon_lol:

you are thinking too way ahead for this guy, to make this statement. let them learn the basics before introducing them to bad habbits. the only time I would ever consider throwing an arm punch is to gauge distance. having said that, I whole heartedly believe arm punches have no place in boxing.

I think that's the point ssullivan is trying to make; if you can't throw a proper punch, yet, and don't see the value in it, yet (and he obviously doesn't if he's making a thread like this), then he isn't experienced enough to make a determination on when to use arm punches.

Breaking general rules without understanding why the rules are there in the first place is a bad idea IMHO.

I think that's the point ssullivan is trying to make; if you can't throw a proper punch, yet, and don't see the value in it, yet (and he obviously doesn't if he's making a thread like this), then he isn't experienced enough to make a determination on when to use arm punches.

Breaking general rules without understanding why the rules are there in the first place is a bad idea IMHO.

Thank you! and your exactly correct, rules of basic fundamentals most be completely understood and applied first..... then and only then can you begin to work outside the basics..... I still see new guys all the time trying to work on feints, counters and complicated combos..... yet, they still cant stand in a proper stance and move forward, back, side to side...... without crossing their feet, rocking back on their heels or hopping around. If ya cant stand in a proper stance, then you shouldn't even be throwing a punch, at all!

no a stiff jab comes from the hip.

big difference.

agreed! a good jab is a jab that accomplishes the intended purpose of that jab.... Jab is the most versatile punch in striking and can be used offensively and defensively equally effective....

Technically most combinations are arm punches. You arm punch a right hand to set up a left hook.

I disagree. Any punch cocks the opposite arm for the next punch. As long as there is torso rotation and weight shift(& hips rotation that comes with it), it ain't an arm punch.

Arm punches relies more on your shoulders/arms for power, when you can put your hips in it for more power with less overall effort.

No reason for arm punches, even when throwing multiple jabs one can use the hips/weight shift+forward momentum.

I disagree. Any punch cocks the opposite arm for the next punch. As long as there is torso rotation and weight shift(& hips rotation that comes with it), it ain't an arm punch.

Arm punches relies more on your shoulders/arms for power, when you can put your hips in it for more power with less overall effort.

No reason for arm punches, even when throwing multiple jabs one can use the hips/weight shift+forward momentum.

I think there seems to be some sort of confusion between an "arm punch" and a feint. Right hand "set-up" for left hook, from described below is actually a right hand feint to set up left hook. Arm punching is not feinting, a feint is intended to actually "fake" the opponent into a reaction and "arm punching" is not to be confused with feinting. They are completely different techniques, and i agree with you that a feint is not an arm punch and to "sell the feint" you do want to use hip n shoulder rotation, since the idea of a "feint" is to make it look believable.

Of course your going to get more power by using rotational force from the larger muscles in your core (legs, hips, waist), and generating power is far more efficient by using the core and getting leverage into the shot.

Arm punching, as being described in this thread is really a tactic that is suited to fighting inside, while set in the pocket or with your opponent or yourself backed up to the ropes, basically arm punching is used most effectively (in my opinion) when stationary. Given a stationary opponent, arm punching or slapping and tapping with your punches helps you find openings by baiting your opponents reaction. I.E, slap short left to right hooks or Uc's at your opponents head or gloves to get your opponent to pull his guard up high, then drop down and unload one into his gut. Tapping or arm punching jabs/lead hooks can also be used inside in multiples to bait your right hand or lead hook, i.e: if there slapping or dropping the parry down low you can lead hook off the jab over top the parry.... or if there pulling their guard up and "ear-muffing" when you slap lead hooks, you can fire the right hand in between the guard..... etc..... either way, arm punching can and does have it's uses.

Also, arm punching does not necessarily have to mean there is not any incorporation of the hips or shoulders, at least by my interpretation and i think this is where some disagreement is being caused in the thread, I.E: Paul Williams or Nick Diaz. Instead, arm punching still has a certain level of hip and shoulder rotation but uses the arm to kinda whip or slap the punches into the target vs. rotating all the way through with the hips n shoulders and really driving the punch into the opponent with some "ass" in it. Hence, why "arm punching" is also sometimes referred to as "volume punching" or cumulative damage type punching. Yes, the hips and shoulders are still used, it is not 100% arm, but the hips n shoulders are used to start the momentum of the punch but then the arm is incorporated to finish the punch or slap/whip it into the target. The idea is that to really volume punch (like Diaz or Paul Williams) your not really setting your feet and driving through the shot with your core, allowing you to maintain mobility and keep actively striking or volume punching while still being very mobile. That type of volume punching is a form of "arm punching" and is a very effective method of punching. Some guys just use it occasionally to mix it in with their power punching, others like PW or Diaz use it much more consistently and actively, occasionally throwing in power shots.

Yes, the hips and shoulders are still used, it is not 100% arm, but the hips n shoulders are used to start the momentum of the punch but then the arm is incorporated to finish the punch or slap/whip it into the target.

A little bit clearer now. It is still less effficient though IMO, for my uses since I'm a very short guy who emphasizes speed in closing in + power when I do/can. Harder for me to relate.

We were taught to throw the hook and torque it from the hips/torso and a little from the shoulders. The arm itself does not swing that much. Doing so can lead to bicep tears and elbow injuries, etc...

arm punches are fine, as long as you throw a ton of them lol-meaning your cardio has to be up; as does your durability....
calzaghe
diaz
diaz
williams

You'll be able to throw much heavier punches easily if you put your body weight forth for power instead of deliberately "pushing" through harder with your arm.

Your body mass outweighs, by far, the amount of power your tricep can generate. It's a mixture of both arm and body movement; you won't get much power if you isolate your arm like that so try to slowly work your way into stepping in deeper as you punch.

Yes arm punching is really really bad. Well. It is if you are planning on winning the fight that is.

When you throw an arm punch right? And then you throw a powerful punch with your momentum behind it.. it feels like there is a difference but not one that is huge. Big mistake. The difference in power isnt comparable.

If you throw your punches properly (using your entire body as one) you should be able to punch just as quickly and with much more power. If you haven't learned to do this anyone who has is going to almost certainly kick your ass.

arm punches are fine, as long as you throw a ton of them lol-meaning your cardio has to be up; as does your durability....
calzaghe
diaz
diaz
williams

Diaz's are totally different. That isn't something that the poster can duplicate any time soon or ever depending on his genetics.

The Diaz's have very long reach so they throw straights in bunches with accuracy but that doesnt mean they don't put their full body weight into a punch when necessary.

Watch Diaz vs Zamorski the KO.

Its not like Diaz can't power punch. He just stays at distance and throws jabs and cross's. This guy can't power punch and is likely throwing hooks and uppercuts with hardly any body into it.

I already can picture this guy in the ring. Hes moving like crazy, never setting his feet and is counter punching with arm punches.

How many times have we seen beginners just bounce around annd not set their feet throwing arm punches but being unable to close the distance? The problem here is that it seems that TS is unwilling to listen to his trainer and is developing some very very bad habits that may follow him forever.

The last thing you need TS is to get hit in the face and revertt to the old arm punching crap. Don't make this anymore of a habit than it is or it will be a serious hole in your game.

Last edited:
Yes arm punching is really really bad. Well. It is if you are planning on winning the fight that is.

When you throw an arm punch right? And then you throw a powerful punch with your momentum behind it.. it feels like there is a difference but not one that is huge. Big mistake. The difference in power isnt comparable.

If you throw your punches properly (using your entire body as one) you should be able to punch just as quickly and with much more power. If you haven't learned to do this anyone who has is going to almost certainly kick your ass.

Please explain that to Joe Calzaghe, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, Paulie Malinaggi, Sugar Ray Leonard, Muhamed Ali, and countless other champions and hall of fame fighters...... Not every punch thrown in a 10-12rd boxing bout is a power punch, punch variety and punch variation is the mark of countless champions..... and yes, that includes "arm punching". If your a novice, you have no business arm punching without first learning proper punching fundamentals..... but it does have it's place and it's uses for those who are trained to use it properly and got fight knowledge enough to understand the proper application.

I already can picture this guy in the ring. Hes moving like crazy, never setting his feet and is counter punching with arm punches.

Again, you just explained the style used very often by most those mentioned above!

Diaz's are totally different. That isn't something that the poster can duplicate any time soon or ever depending on his genetics.

The Diaz's have very long reach so they throw straights in bunches with accuracy but that doesnt mean they don't put their full body weight into a punch when necessary.

Watch Diaz vs Zamorski the KO.

Its not like Diaz can't counter punch. He just stays at distance and throws jabs and cross's. This guy can't power punch and is likely throwing hooks and uppercuts with hardly any body into it.

i understand, i was just making a statement giving examples of people who use arm punches; as with any style from pressure fighter-volume fighter-brawler-technician- counter or def guy, you success is based on your mentality and physical ability.

something else that works in diaz favor is their conditioning and ability to absorb punishment, cus throwing punching in bunches will leave many opp to be countered; as you know exhanges are the easiest opp to be hit, esp when your pressing forward to get those shots off.

but your point is understood.

Please explain that to Joe Calzaghe, Paul Williams, Winky Wright, Paulie Malinaggi, Sugar Ray Leonard, Muhamed Ali, and countless other champions and hall of fame fighters...... Not every punch thrown in a 10-12rd boxing bout is a power punch, punch variety and punch variation is the mark of countless champions..... and yes, that includes "arm punching". If your a novice, you have no business arm punching without first learning proper punching fundamentals..... but it does have it's place and it's uses for those who are trained to use it properly and got fight knowledge enough to understand the proper application.

Arm punching with an inability to power punch is a huge problem. The fighters you mentioned are world class and can do everything they need to. The TS is basically asking if its ok to ignore his trainer and just focus himself in arm punching.

Thats a big mistake in MMA and Boxing. If you have a hole like that in your game your opponent WILL exploit it. Im telling you need to learn to punch properly. If you don't know how to do it, or can't do it when it comes fight night. Its a bad thing. You can't deny that. You leave a hole for your opponent to exploit.

If you think your Joe Calzaghe all of the sudden and you don't need to learn how to put your body into punches there are going to be stylistic disadvantages for you against a large amount of your opponents.

Boxing as is MMA is a lot more of a chess match than people realize. Its very much counter what your opponent is doing. And so on and so on and whoever imposes their will over their opponent wins. If you got a hole inn your game like having a bad habit to always arm punch? You will lose fights.

You seem to be going off the mark here. we are talking about a guy who just started training and doesnt want to listen to his coach. Dont tell me Ali started off throwing
"arm punches" when he 1st started boxing or any other mentioned boxer for that matter.

You know there are people out there that say "If its good enough for the champ,its good enough for me". please dont encourage bad habits so early in their trainning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back